• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC damaged books question

24 posts in this topic

Here's a question I'm sure the board will know the protocol for....

A buddy of mine from the U.K sent in 20 books to CGC to be graded. He got said books back yesterday, but 10 of the 20 CGC cases were damaged (cracks, some quite large). My friend contacted CGC and they say they are not responsible. They said the they sent the books back with insurance of up to 100 dollars and that he can claim back through them. He can also send them back to CGC and they can re-home/holster them, but at his cost. That was their solution.

Is it just me, or does this sound out of order. Is this common practice by CGC or am I missing part of the story. I would think that my mate is not liable for anything, reholster fees or return postage ( from the UK your looking at £40-50 in just shipping alone) and I dont think its his job to chase up the insurance claim. The box appears undamaged by the way.

Any ideas/inspiration???

Exactly the reason why I am driving on Thursday to pick up my slabs...I can't trust the mail.

Unfortunately, once the slabs leave CGCs hands, why is it their responsibility if the damage occurs during transit?

It's the delivery service's fault IMO. Unless they were not packaged appropriately....

Sadly, that is an event too common for CGC slabs. It is indeed CGC's policy to re-holder the damaged slabs "for free", but they also make it clear that postage is the responsibility of the owner - both ways to and from Sarasota.

Nope. Getting the books to CGC is on your dime, but the return shipping from CGC is covered by them (when it's a reholder due to their mistake).

Just to be fair, CGC has had more than a few problems with shipping slabs with sufficient packing. When you pick up a box of 20 slabs, it shouldn't rattle around. Unfortunately, I've had a few rattlers from CGC.

That's what the insurance is for. CGC didn't damage the books. The PO did.

Collect the insurance claim and use the money to get the books reslabbed.

Why should CGC be out of pocket for any of this?

+1

Unless the packing from CGC was inadequate. Which is unlikely but possible.

I'd put a claim with the post office or the carrier

As someone who gets, sells and buys slabs.... I always expect and offer the best packing possible for CGC's. We all know how delicate they are (even as tough as they may seem). We also know how rough the post office can be. I pack mine with the intention that it's going to be slammed around and try to protect it as much as possible. I've never had a book cracked that came directly from CGC. However, I do think the books should at least have a thin layer of padding in between each one. I realize they're under the gun to get these out... but still. Just one simple thing like that could greatly help reduce costs to both CGC and the customer of re-slabs and re-shipping.

If you sell something that has to be shipped, you've got a responsibility to pack it adequately. I don't have any idea if that was the case here, just that I've gotten boxes from CGC that were not adequately packed. Nothing was broken so it wasn't an issue at the time.

Just to be fair, CGC has had more than a few problems with shipping slabs with sufficient packing. When you pick up a box of 20 slabs, it shouldn't rattle around. Unfortunately, I've had a few rattlers from CGC.

Did they package the 20 slabs in a large box, the one they usually would use for a 30 book submission ?

If you sell something that has to be shipped, you've got a responsibility to pack it adequately. I don't have any idea if that was the case here, just that I've gotten boxes from CGC that were not adequately packed. Nothing was broken so it wasn't an issue at the time.

Also, I don't understand why so many people think that insurance always pays for goods damaged during delivery. Although insurance often does cover shipping damages, they also often deny the claim due to inadequate packing from the shipper.

Did they package the 20 slabs in a large box, the one they usually would use for a 30 book submission ?

IIRC, it was about 15 books in a 20 book box but with no bubble wrap to stabilize the books. They just sloshed back and forth.

Also, I don't understand why so many people think that insurance always pays for goods damaged during delivery. Although insurance often does cover shipping damages, they also often deny the claim due to inadequate packing from the shipper.

If they deny the claim and say it was the shippers fault then the responsibility is back on CGC to make things right for you.

The first step in getting anything done is to file a claim. If CGC is telling you to go after the carrier...that's what you need to do.

Again, I can't see the fault of CGC if they packed the slabs up the way they should be. Sometimes things happen.

This is why you have to show proof of packaging material and the physical box used in the shipping. They try to weasel out of claims with fine print, not packaged adequately.

Unfortunately (and I've bemoaned this before), I don't think CGC's packaging methods for large quantities of books are adequate. There's always room for the books to move inside the box and the cushioning around the books is minimal. Although I've never received damaged books from my subs, you can see the possibility is there, especially how far the box has to travel overseas with numerous people handling it (there's out-of-context for you).

The trouble with international insurance claims is basically a nightmare to deal with, one side of the Atlantic will blame the other and vice versa, neither side will take repsonsibility and pay up. It's an absolute nightmare that takes weeks to get literally nowhere.

I would hope that CGC would initiate an insurance claim with FedEx on their end in this instance, they are a high volume customer and surely it would be easier for the buyer of the insurance to claim? Especially when they are in the same country.

I don't know for sure, but while people have said it's not CGC's fault, it's certainly not the person's fault who submitted the books either.

I have a feeling that if you ask five people to define "adequate" packaging of slabs, you'll get five different answers. (shrug)

I'm certain that CGC follows its own protocol when packaging. (and yes, goofs can happen on occasion) I'm also equally certain that some people have unrealistic expectations (talking in generalities here. This is not aimed at anyone specifically) when it comes to "adequate" packaging.

I have seen 1 cgc slab cracked out of a full box full with non of the others being damaged. It just happened to be my book and It was sent back with an other submission and CGC reslabbed it and shipped it back on their own expense. No hassle at all.

I have seen many CGC boxes full of slabs come back and that is only time I have seen a cracked slab. It amazes me because I look at the way they are put in with no padding between each slab and hollow areas in the corners with that weird cardboard holder contraption that they do make it. All it would take is one good drop and they would break in my opinion. Definetly not drop proof but if handles properly by the mail carrier they should make it.

Definetly not drop proof but if handles properly by the mail carrier they should make it.

Shippers/Mail carriers never drop or throw or even lightly toss packages. They are all handled with loving care as if they are their own.

Wow, my sarcasm meter just exploded.