• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my FF 1

17 posts in this topic

Seeing that low grade FF1 getting BINed for 3K caught my attention. I bought this copy off Ebay last year for about 75% of OPG based on the advertised grade. How would you all grade it. Back cover is clean and in roughly the same shape as the front. Page quality is off-white, with some light tanning at the edges of the first few pages. FF1

Solid Good+!

Got to be a 2.5! thumbsup2.gif

I've seen 1.8s and 2.0s that were [!@#%^&^] compared to yours.

Is that rust on the staples?

Is it for sale? And I hope your asking price is not $3,000. tonofbricks.gif

His is better than that one.

He'll want $4000 at least! smirk.gif

Man, you guys are tough. I felt comfortable calling it a 3.0, and by Overstreet's definition it could be pushed to a 3.5, but a weak one. The spine has noticeable wear, but is not abraded or split. It has one larger crease through the monster's mouth, and a little dirt near Sue, and only a couple very small tears on the FC and a 1/4" one on the back, and yes, the bottom staple shows some rust, but no migration. On the upside, It does show whiter than the scan.

Admittedly I'm not that familiar with CGC grading on Silver Age, but if slabbed 2.5s look like this book, I'm going to have to rethink my policy of not paying the CGC premium when I'm looking for lower grade copies of FF 3-5.

I see too many surface creases to call it higher than a 2.5. It has nice corners, but the edge creases alone bring it to a 3.5 (VG-). It's the accumulation of defects that lowers it to 2.5. If the middle of the comic were flat and bright, I'd grade it 3.5.

Looking at your book again I might say 3.0 isn't a total impossiblity, if the insides were way above the cover grade, and lots of gloss was left on the cover, it might get bumped up one notch.

I have a scan of Discounts FF 2 4.0 he sent me.

I had to reduce the quality some to get it under 150KB but this should give you and idea of a VG(4.0).

That's a nice looking 4.0. Unless that's a tear on the right martian.

Those are Skrulls not Martians you guys... gossip.gif

Don't upset the speculators. 893naughty-thumb.gif

They probably love those "crazy Martians" fighting Rock Man, Stretchy Guy, See-Through Girl and Match-Stick Boy. 27_laughing.gif