• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brock and Board, Where are we now? An Update........

491 posts in this topic

at least he has the balls to apologise, admittedly after he was caught but facing the mob isn't easy.

I do give him credit for facing the mob. Personally, I can't imagine buying anything from him, though I would not condemn others for doing so.

Pretty much how i feel, Broccoli Diesel added to my sellers-to-avoid.txt

Yes, Brock has apologized.

I sent him some long drawn out PMs about how to make things right in the future. I can tell from his responses to me and in the thread that he doesn't really get it. Not yet anyway. That's OK, not everyone here sees this deal for what it really is: an example of character is action. I easily see the error/misstep, right now he is only seeing it because some of us have verbally pounded on him. The important thing is for him to see how this $20.00 no sale gave us a glimpse at how he makes decisions. He needs some work in that area. I am sure he will work on it.

There was board pressure for him to offer me the book for free, a nice gesture, but likely the wrong solution to this issue. I don't want to be that guy. The guy walking around with a free book. I pay for what I buy. Brock really wanted to keep the book and he still has it, maybe for a long while.

Will I buy from him in the future? Maybe. I know how he feels about completing ebay sales. I guess I have to see how he handles other future board sales.

I wish him luck, I think he can turn this around, it may take a while, but I think he can do it.

It's all well and good apologising after a good public pile-on, but the initial responses to you about 'not selling the book for that price' or 'taking a bath for that much' seem to point to the real character of Brock. I presume the apology only came after much peer pressure.

While I'll never deal with him I daresay some will. It's not criminal what he's done, far from it, but that lack of ethics when it comes to cash in the pocket was met with no remorse initially. That's what I can't look past.

Ive gotten HOSED on books, and still shipped them with a smile. I shipped a Tec 576 CGC 9.6 for 3.00.. Buyer paid shipping, but I paid $35.00 for the book a year before. You just deal with it, and move on. In a perfect world everyone would profit all the time, but in the real world sometimes you take a loss. (thumbs u

The thing is, we were all newbies at one time or another. We have all taken baths on sales. It had never occurred to me to back out of a deal like that and I'm sure the same goes for many others here. Especially when it's free to list at any price, why not just list it for the price you want? At any rate, I have a feeling a handful here will never trust you, but many will forget altogether.

And there are plenty of people that pull that stuff all the time and still maintain a 100% feedback :gossip: I know a habitual shiller that I continue to buy from and leave good feedback for because he's the only person on the PLANET that sells back issues to a small press UK comic I like :frustrated:

I agree and it wasnt something I had planned to do. I was brand new to comics and paid way to much in a bidding war for a book I thought was cool. I did not seek to steal from Nochips, I just saw a book I thought I could get my 85 dollars back out of sell for 20 and made a decision to keep it instead. I lied and it was wrong.

Absslute bollocks. You're still lying. If you made a decision to keep it, how come you were hawking it round here for a much higher price just a few weeks later? It's amazing whenever someone is caught out how they always have to try to justify it somehow.

Im not lying.. I admitted I lied to NoChips because for 20 bucks I wanted to keep it, but it was no longer in my realm of interest. I attempted to get out from under it again on here and yes my past transgression came to light. I had forgotten about it and listed it here. Im not disputing it was wrong so how am I justifying anything??

Would you have listed it if you had known he was a member of the boards? Honestly...I think if you could go back and do this all over again, I think the only thing you would change is where you tried to sell this book. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

I understand that impression, but its not like im looking to screw everyone over to make money on my books. I made a poor newb decision listing it with no reserve not aware that I had overpaid. Then made a far worse decision to back out and refund his money. I offered NoChips the book and he no longer wants it. So there is nothing more I can do to rectify the situation. I made a mistake and i got caught, but im not sorry because I got caught. Im sorry because after becoming a member of the boards and learning all that I have that I should have let the book go instead of thinking I was super low balled and backing out.

Offer the book up in the next VCC charity auction, only let the person make the donation after it's shipped.

It won't make you perfect, but it will show you have better intentions and perhaps you will get some good karma out of doing a good deed.

Offer the book up in the next VCC charity auction, only let the person make the donation after it's shipped.

It won't make you perfect, but it will show you have better intentions and perhaps you will get some good karma out of doing a good deed.

+1

Would you have apologized if you hadn't gotten caught?

Not looking to defend myself. Just apologize. And I honestly dont know. I didnt realize what harm I was doing till it was done. I just figured out what a shill was 2 weeks ago for petes sake. I am sure I am not the only one on this board to ever make a dumb mistake, but whatever. Let the crucifiction continue.. I made it right with who it mattered and he has let it go..

Yeah, no.

There are some things you should know are wrong by the time you get to be, say, 10 years old.

You don't need to learn board ettiquette or lingo to know it's wrong.

This "I'm new at this" defense taken by some offenders just doesn't fly.

I won a cgc 9.6 copper spidey for 99c

seller honoured the deal

a week later I bought a $400 book off him.

and since then he's had about $1k worth of orders from me,

Good example of how we as sellers should really strive to look at cultivating long term customers, and not focus on any single transaction.

I would love to make a profit on every book I sell. However, I don't. But sometimes the gesture of passing along a book at cost, or even below cost, earns you some brownie points. And good things have a way at coming back at you when you do.

Would you have apologized if you hadn't gotten caught?

Not looking to defend myself. Just apologize. And I honestly dont know. I didnt realize what harm I was doing till it was done. I just figured out what a shill was 2 weeks ago for petes sake. I am sure I am not the only one on this board to ever make a dumb mistake, but whatever. Let the crucifiction continue.. I made it right with who it mattered and he has let it go..

Yeah, no.

There are some things you should know are wrong by the time you get to be, say, 10 years old.

You don't need to learn board ettiquette or lingo to know it's wrong.

This "I'm new at this" defense taken by some offenders just doesn't fly.

+1000

so this entire thread was to make a point. Wow

Yes, it was entirely to prove a point, to Brock.

It turns out I am a master manipulator and you all fell into my web of control. Sorry for luring you all in like that.

I thought this important to enough to share with the board. Who knows we may have actually helped Brock in a weird sort of way.

I don't buy the NOOB excuse...wrong is wrong. As for taking a bath on a sale. It happens. It's happened to everyone here on the Boards (except greggy)

As for the apology, At least you are facing the music - we will see...

And BTW the Boards WON'T forget - they never do :gossip:

This is not a TV show - a simple talk from Dad won't make things right...

Leave_it_to_Beaver_html_4319f57d.jpg

The thing is, we were all newbies at one time or another. We have all taken baths on sales. It had never occurred to me to back out of a deal like that and I'm sure the same goes for many others here. Especially when it's free to list at any price, why not just list it for the price you want? At any rate, I have a feeling a handful here will never trust you, but many will forget altogether.

And there are plenty of people that pull that stuff all the time and still maintain a 100% feedback :gossip: I know a habitual shiller that I continue to buy from and leave good feedback for because he's the only person on the PLANET that sells back issues to a small press UK comic I like :frustrated:

I agree and it wasnt something I had planned to do. I was brand new to comics and paid way to much in a bidding war for a book I thought was cool. I did not seek to steal from Nochips, I just saw a book I thought I could get my 85 dollars back out of sell for 20 and made a decision to keep it instead. I lied and it was wrong.

Absslute bollocks. You're still lying. If you made a decision to keep it, how come you were hawking it round here for a much higher price just a few weeks later? It's amazing whenever someone is caught out how they always have to try to justify it somehow.

Im not lying.. I admitted I lied to NoChips because for 20 bucks I wanted to keep it, but it was no longer in my realm of interest. I attempted to get out from under it again on here and yes my past transgression came to light. I had forgotten about it and listed it here. Im not disputing it was wrong so how am I justifying anything??

Would you have listed it if you had known he was a member of the boards? Honestly...I think if you could go back and do this all over again, I think the only thing you would change is where you tried to sell this book. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

I understand that impression, but its not like im looking to screw everyone over to make money on my books. I made a poor newb decision listing it with no reserve not aware that I had overpaid. Then made a far worse decision to back out and refund his money. I offered NoChips the book and he no longer wants it. So there is nothing more I can do to rectify the situation. I made a mistake and i got caught, but im not sorry because I got caught. Im sorry because after becoming a member of the boards and learning all that I have that I should have let the book go instead of thinking I was super low balled and backing out.

Stop saying you "made a mistake". You didn't make a mistake, you did it all intentionally.

At the risk of getting pelted with rocks, I think this is being made out to be bigger than it is.

BD seems like a good guy. He sold a book for less than he wanted, so he decided not to sell. That sucks for the buyer, as we all love to get nice books under guide (I know the excitement I get from it).

It's great that there is some unity on this board, but it's not like the guy sold a fake, or sold something restored without mentioning it, or sold something claiming its a 8.0 when its really a 4.0, or lied in the description about damage then refused a return. Or shipped something carelessly and got destroyed in transit. He backed out of a deal- that doesn't show the most integrity, but it's not worth death or anything. No money was lost and no product was lost. You're back at square 1. I'm glad a thread was made on this, as it's good to know.

As someone mentioned- its a common non key bronze book that looks a bit off and doesn't have the best PQ. We're not talking about a Batman 1 or Marvel Comics 1, or an AF 15. I doubt this book means much overall.

I'm sure most here love comics and OA with a passion, but if you've been around you've probably been burned 10x worse easily. I know I have seen some real shady stuff. This warrants a slap on the hand an a "I'm dissapointed with you" for a while, but that's it.

***and no I never have done anything shady in dealings, so I'm not saying this because I feel guilty or anything.

The seller lied about the book being ruined to get out of the deal.

Maybe not a big deal to you, but that's enough for me to never buy anything from them. (shrug)

Yeah, me too.

I'm not asking you to buy anything from me. Honestly what would you have done if you paid 85 for a book and it went for 20.

If you have any suggestions I will do my best to make it right but I'm not taking that large a bath. I'm sorry.

He wants somebody else to pay for a market correction on his book? He's willing to break contract to do so? He's willing to go down in flames for around $40?

What a wank stain. doh!

:roflmao: