• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Montreal Comic Con

24 posts in this topic

I received an email from the promoter this morning and I was planning on looking into it.

hm

Seems like direct competition with the Montreal Comic Con, which is being held a week or two later... (tsk) I'm all for competition in an open market, but this might not be the right way to do it... Too many cons (Ottawa con is around the same time as well) in a short period right before Christmas isn't the most strategic idea. Only so much disposable income to go around...

Anyways, maybe the promoter is someone I know and I can get more info out of them once I receive an e-mail reply. :wishluck:

No, Mr. Fenton. But I do wonder what drives you to defame a charitable event and mislead this board.

Defamation? Give me a break.

Well, you have me at a disadvantage, and if you re-read the thread you'll notice I wasn't defaming anything and wasn't trying to mislead anyone. I was inquiring about the legitimacy of this event because the website appeared from nowhere and the event itself seems like a copy of the regular Montreal show. Lord knows the internet is full of scammers and copy-cat websites trying to fool people into giving up their money under the pretense of being something else. I was trying to prevent this from happening to anyone.

Fortunately, the event seems to be legitimate since Kevin Boyd and some close contacts of mine have confirmed it. If not for them, I would never have known since it's been weeks since I sent an e-mail to the promoter without receiving a response. Ignoring peoples inquiries is not a good way to create credibility for one's events.

I still don't think it's good business to run 2 similar events in the same market, especially when the second seems to be trying to take advantage of the first one's recent success. That's my opinion. That's all. And as a result I won't be participating.

Ok. Now we're all clear on what your motivation is here: to "protect the other Montreal show".

Equally clear, Mr. Fenton (speaking of credibility) is the fact that -according to the promoter- you DID get a response from the promoter on Oct 4th yet you failed to rectify your original post and chose to continue misleading this board. Ever heard of libel and malicious intent?

Equally clear, Mr. Fenton (speaking of credibility) is the fact that -according to the promoter- you DID get a response from the promoter on Oct 4th...

No I didn't. Please re-send it, because it never arrived in any of my inboxes... Surely the promoter can do that for me to resolve any mutual misunderstanding.

...yet you failed to rectify your original post and chose to continue misleading this board.

There is nothing to rectify. I expressed concern and asked for feedback from the community, which I received stating that the event seems legitimate.

'Nuff said.

Good luck with show. It's always a good cause to raise funds for the sick and needy.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and i felt the itch or need to jump in.

We've been running the Montreal Comiccon for the past 6 years.

Our first event we drew less than 150 attendees, and obviously did not get much support from exhibitors.

We kept at it and finally this year and had a breakout year and drew 8300 attendees, with the help or guests, artists and exhibitors.

Mr Fenton has been an exhibitor at our event for the past 5 years.

I doubt he expressed his concerns about the new show with harmful intentions, since he was quite suprised that a 2 day event was announced only a month before happening and 3 weeks before the regular 1 day Montreal Comiccon on December 5th.

Also the new event's website was extremely similar to the Montreal Comiccon website , which raised more concerns and confusions.

I don't have personal issues with Mr Gerry Ross ( he does set as exhibitor at our events).

I just clearly do not think its good for the market to have so many conventions in the same city and in such small intervals otherwise i would have done so myself.

At our last event we did raise more than 6000$ for the Parkinson foundation and for the local Children hospital.

We do believe in charities and want to continue along the same lines in the future.

At the end, there's not enough $ for that many events and only the market will suffer.

Just my opinion

No harmful intentions? People are not so easily duped.

This thread, started on your behalf, immediately attacked and labeled the Montreal Charity Comic Convention as a scam.

A minimum of class would have had you disassociate yourself from Mr. Fenton's (voorhees) comments. Unfortunately you did not. For the most part, you wrote the same words to make the same argument aimed at interfering with the Montreal Charity Comic Convention.

You seem to have done well with your show. That's great. But where did you get the idea that this gives you the right to control the market, interfere with what other events should or should not take place, when they ought or ought not be announced ... ?

Bullying is not a good business practice.

Just my opinion.

You seem to be the only bully in this thread. (shrug)

Agreed.

Just came across this thread and read it through.

What is the big deal with Voorhees questions?

You need to take a step back and chill out.

Stating an opinion is not defamation or trying to control the market.

Hope it doesn't turn into the same situation that has happened in Toronto. :wishluck:

No harmful intentions? People are not so easily duped.

This thread, started on your behalf, immediately attacked and labeled the Montreal Charity Comic Convention as a scam.

A minimum of class would have had you disassociate yourself from Mr. Fenton's (voorhees) comments. Unfortunately you did not. For the most part, you wrote the same words to make the same argument aimed at interfering with the Montreal Charity Comic Convention.

You seem to have done well with your show. That's great. But where did you get the idea that this gives you the right to control the market, interfere with what other events should or should not take place, when they ought or ought not be announced ... ?

Bullying is not a good business practice.

Just my opinion.

Clearly you're a new member here and have little (if any) background with the way in which this online community operates. No insult meant but merely pointing out the obvious.

There have, unfortunately, been a number of scam artists who have attempted to take advantage of this online community with the intent of monetary gain. I would point to the community-updated Probation List as one example of the many who have performed such dishonest actions:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4343336#Post4343336

Furthermore, I would point you to the Comics General section of these forums in which numerous other forum members have uncovered many, many eBay and other online auction house scams. We are a cautious community, but with good reason. Past performance has shown there are unscrupulous people out there and we don't like to see others taken advantage of.

Being a newer member who is posting solely for the intent of personal gain, you will have to understand a certain amount of skepticism demonstrated by Voorhees and other members of this online community (and please understand that I am using this phrase, "personal gain," broadly since personal gain would simply mean the success of a comic show which would in part, also benefit a particular charity--so I understand that there are multiple parties who stand to benefit).

Now THAT said, it does appear that you and your organization are not of that sort. And I think it is admirable to put forth a show that combines comics and charity--everyone wins. I'd only suggest that for future reference that if you wish this community to be a viable place for you to advertise your shows that you consider honey as opposed to vinegar in your first response to others. All too often, members of this community will be FAR more likely to respond quite emphatically against those who show poor form over those who cushion their posts with a healthy dose of friendliness and manners.

(thumbs u

No offence taken. I understand your perspective.

But a few things must be cleared up: I am not the promoter, it is not my organization, I did not come here to advertise to this community and I am certainly not posting for personal gain - I personally stand to gain or lose nothing from this event.

I came here and posted because I do have pediatric oncology and The Montreal Children's Hospital Foundation at heart. I also know the promoter, a very decent, generous and honest person.

The promoter and those associated with this event do not deserve the negative image and derogatory insinuations conveyed by or inferred from, the initial post in this thread. Nor do they deserve to have their efforts impeded by the negative interference exhibited in other posts.

Whether with intent or through recklessness or impertinence, publishing an inference that a person is a scammer harms that person’s reputation. To quote Justice Cory of the Supreme Court of Canada: “A reputation tarnished by libel can seldom regain its former lustre. A democratic society, therefore, has an interest in ensuring that its members can enjoy and protect their good reputation so long as it is merited”.

I agree there are "unscrupulous people out there" who may attempt "to take advantage of this online community with the intent of monetary gain".

Caution is good. But it will better serve the community if focused in the right place. It is hard to miss the fact that this thread was started (not by me!) to apparently take advantage of this forum as a place to "dis-advertise", or negatively advertise, an event which -as is revealed in subsequent posts- some would rather not happen in "their" market, God forbid some of the “not enough $” find its way away from their pocketbook and into helping sick kids.

Well this is quite a poorly promoted con. Except for the poorly disguised attack dog/shill posting here, they seem to have no interest in promoting or selling tickets until the last few days. They have been posting links to the main con web address for a while elsewhere but the links to tickets, guest, exhibitors etc are still broken.

If anyone is interested I found some of the links that are missing from their broken website that are needed to buy tickets and tables.

Ticket info and ordering

Guests

Exhibitor page via Google translate since the English page is missing