• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Another quick pricing question...

What would be a good price on a Fair copy of An Earth Man on Venus...presents fairly well if that helps (thumbs u

Thanks (worship)

not terribly expensive in GD...so 50% of GD guide for a fair is "fair"

Unless you were at the auction in PA, where a maybe good copy went for $300;)

(I think they were passing around drugs)

I sold a nice VG (raw) for $250 (right at guide)...so, yes, must have been the "exception"...a cgc 6.0 just sold for 475 (about 1.2x guide)... as a frame of reference...

for a fair copy, I would pay 75 "happily" and if $100 is what it takes to get, that is not an unreasonable price either

I sold a nice VG (raw) for $250 (right at guide)...so, yes, must have been the "exception"...a cgc 6.0 just sold for 475 (about 1.2x guide)... as a frame of reference...

for a fair copy, I would pay 75 "happily" and if $100 is what it takes to get, that is not an unreasonable price either

Sitting at $120 and graded Fr/Gd with no room to negotiate grade or price, so it looks to be on the high side with the info you gave...thanks (thumbs u

Let's see other books I was considering Sugar and Spike 5 solid VG/VG+...not a hot book but not much supply either...what would the G.A. tor buyer look to spend? :juggle:

Also, curious if it is worthwhile to think about Archie Universe books...Wilbur, Katy Keene, etc. Will the rising tide lift anything outside of frontline Archie Characters?

Sitting at $120 and graded Fr/Gd with no room to negotiate grade or price, so it looks to be on the high side with the info you gave...thanks (thumbs u

Let's see other books I was considering Sugar and Spike 5 solid VG/VG+...not a hot book but not much supply either...what would the G.A. tor buyer look to spend? :juggle:

Also, curious if it is worthwhile to think about Archie Universe books...Wilbur, Katy Keene, etc. Will the rising tide lift anything outside of frontline Archie Characters?

all the low number sugar and spikes I have seen sell, are tylically at 50-70% of guide (cgc graded)...so, I suspect a vg , which guides for 140ish, could be had for 75 or less

also, 120 for a true fr/gd, is "reasonable"

It's just not there unfortunately...couple of pieces missing push it fully down to the 1.0 I think...plus it would just be a purchase for the hell of it and part of the fun of those instead of checking things off my want list is getting a good bargain :D

You guys are still talking about Earth Man on Venus, right?

also, 120 for a true fr/gd, is "reasonable"

It's just not there unfortunately...couple of pieces missing push it fully down to the 1.0 I think...plus it would just be a purchase for the hell of it and part of the fun of those instead of checking things off my want list is getting a good bargain :D

Here is a question for everybody -- what is your take on comics with a panel missing? I just bought a comic lot, and the main comic in that lot that I wanted turned out to have part of a panel torn out (actually a little more, as the tear extends into the panels next to and below it). If I return the lot, chances are I won't be able to get that comic for a long time (and I've already been waiting a few years). Do I keep the comic with the panel missing, or do I return the entire lot for a refund minus shipping?

Also -- how easy is it to get a scan of a comic's insides so that I can at least make a color copy of the missing panel and keep it with the comic so that for reading purposes the comic is "complete"?

I consider it straight up PR. I guess my thoughts on what to do are heavily influenced by price, what you are collecting it for (i.e. only the cover where it would not matter), and your ability to tolerate waiting a good bit longer. Perhaps a partial refund request to the seller?

As far as filling in the missing panel, folks here seem pretty forthcoming with scans when asked...what comic are we talking about, maybe someone can offer up some help (thumbs u

Isn't this one of the situations where CGC would either give it a low Unversal grade or a higher GLOD grade depending on how you asked them to grade it? They'd note the missing panel on the label.

I consider it straight up PR. I guess my thoughts on what to do are heavily influenced by price, what you are collecting it for (i.e. only the cover where it would not matter), and your ability to tolerate waiting a good bit longer. Perhaps a partial refund request to the seller?

As far as filling in the missing panel, folks here seem pretty forthcoming with scans when asked...what comic are we talking about, maybe someone can offer up some help (thumbs u

Thanks for the help and answers. The comic is Zoot #11. I was pretty happy to nab a decent copy, and then it arrived in the mail and I soon found out it wasn't so decent.

Also got a bunch of other Fox jungle comics -- Jo-Jo, Rulah, etc. in the lot. Some of them are also pretty cool, though not on my main wantlist, which makes it slightly harder to decide what to do.

hey GAtor,

what do you think this might be worth? GPA has record of an 8.5 selling for $3200 in '03 and an 8.0 for $3500 in '06. checked the CGC census and this appears to be the highest graded, albeit restored, copy. the colors and white on this book really pop in hand. :cool:

what's your take? (shrug)hm

thanks!!

Dscf6552.jpg

Dscf6553.jpg

hey GAtor,

what do you think this might be worth? GPA has record of an 8.5 selling for $3200 in '03 and an 8.0 for $3500 in '06. checked the CGC census and this appears to be the highest graded, albeit restored, copy. the colors and white on this book really pop in hand. :cool:

what's your take? (shrug)hm

thanks!!

Dscf6552.jpg

Dscf6553.jpg

that is a stunning looking copy... unfortunately, the trimming will really take a toll on value...if it was just slight, with no trimming, i would say 50% of unrestored value...with the trim, 25% is most I would pay or value it at...so let's say an unrestored 9.0 would sell for 4K or so, then I would value this copy at 1K or so...give or take

Dear Gator,

You've mentioned in the past that generally speaking, 1.0 is about the entry-level for what you might consider to be "collectible copies" of comics.

My question to you then is, what would you estimate the FMV to be for all of the Pre-Robin Tecs (27-37), unrestored in 1.0 condition?

Dear Gator,

You've mentioned in the past that generally speaking, 1.0 is about the entry-level for what you might consider to be "collectible copies" of comics.

My question to you then is, what would you estimate the FMV to be for all of the Pre-Robin Tecs (27-37), unrestored in 1.0 condition?

interesting ...naturally, a myriad of factors would go into determining...not all 1.0's are created equal, so values could vary WIDELY...but, I'll take a stab:

27 in 1.0 is likely $60K- ish (maybe more, this book is tough to predict)... I bought a 1.0 cgc in 2006 for 39K...I also bought a 1.5 for $83K a year and a half ago, so maybe 80K is not unrealistic... too many variables to accurately guesstimate on this one...

28 in 1.0 is likely $5K (a 2.0 sold for about 6 or 8K not too long ago...kimik could chime in on this one)

29 in 1.0 is likely $7-8K (I know a 2.0 sold for 13K +, but that book was more the exception, imo...presented much nicer than a typical 2.0)

30 in 1.0 is likely $750-$1000ish

31 in 1.0 is likely 7-8K

32 in 1.0 is likely 750 or so

33 in 1.0 is likely 3-4K or so

34 in 1.0 is likely 400 or so

35 in 1.0 is likely 4-5K

36 in 1.0 is likely 1500 -2000

37 in 1.0 is likely 1500 -1700

naturally, tough to approximate as there are just not that many 1.0's out there, and they don't change hands frequently enough to really form trends...