• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

In what order which has the better future for long term investment?

EC`s, Barks,Fiction Houses or Fawcetts.

thanks in advance.

Fiction House (though some might argue barks first, I am partial to Planet, Fight, etc)

Barks

EC

Fawcett

thanks in advance.

Fiction House (though some might argue barks first, I am partial to Planet, Fight, etc)

Barks

EC

Fawcett

Gator is the guru, but I would actually put Barks books at the bottom of the list. As much as I admire his work, Disney product in general will devalue over time due to a vastly changing kid's market and a move away from 2-D animation. And Barks books being the most expensive will devalue the most.

My list would be...

Fiction House

EC / Fawcett (these two are interchangeable to me. Both have adequate supply, yet both are extremely high quality in relation to present values.)

Barks

thanks in advance.

Barks

EC

Fawcett

Gator is the guru, but I would actually put Barks books at the bottom of the list. As much as I admire his work, Disney product in general will devalue over time due to a vastly changing kid's market and a move away from 2-D animation. And Barks books being the most expensive will devalue the most.

My list would be...

Fiction House

EC / Fawcett (these two are interchangeable to me. Both have adequate supply, yet both are extremely high quality in relation to present values.)

Barks

you certainly could be right, but the more I listen, the more I hear from and about "barks" collectors... actually was a little buzz not too long ago... and then I see some strong sales, like the $5500 sale on clink for a 9.4 copy of FC 147 and I say "wow"...

Maybe Barks can stand the test of time...I don't see the huge price decrease trends that the Gaines EC and most Fawcetts have experienced over the past 20 years... maybe Barks too is destined to decline, but the rate of decline seems far less "steep" than the other 2, that it might be a little less "worse" (shrug)

thanks in advance.

Barks

EC

Fawcett

My list would be...

Fiction House

Barks

you certainly could be right, but the more I listen, the more I hear from and about "barks" collectors... actually was a little buzz not too long ago... and then I see some strong sales, like the $5500 sale on clink for a 9.4 copy of FC 147 and I say "wow"...

Maybe Barks can stand the test of time...I don't see the huge price decrease trends that the Gaines EC and most Fawcetts have experienced over the past 20 years... maybe Barks too is destined to decline, but the rate of decline seems far less "steep" than the other 2, that it might be a little less "worse" (shrug)

But the question was about "future investment". Fawcett's can't go down much further. E.C.s still have a solid younger fan-base and prices are relatively low. Bark's stuff is pretty expensive. There has been some new money from foreign collectors, but long term my money says they have peaked.

thanks in advance.

Barks

EC

Fawcett

My list would be...

Fiction House

Barks

But the question was about "future investment". Fawcett's can't go down much further. E.C.s still have a solid younger fan-base and prices are relatively low. Bark's stuff is pretty expensive. There has been some new money from foreign collectors, but long term my money says they have peaked.

it is all relative...

I guess I only think of "high grade" as investment type quality... EC's have little chance of going up (the Gaines have slipped and slipped...)... Fawcetts too, don't seem to garner much interest in high grade (look at all the Crowley's selling WAY under even minimal expectations)... but for some reason, HG barks still sell well (and maybe it is due to foreign funding)...

now, if just looking for "quality", then I would say EC #2 (they are some great reads for sure), but they have all been collected in reprints, so no real "demand" increases there, either...

Fawcetts need a lot more than a shot in the arm, but it is possible that if a Shazam! type movie hit the big screen, there could be some potential there..

but, if I was going to put $5000 in a book for the next, say 5 years ,I would put it in a nice HG key barks, before I would put it in a Fawcett or EC... but that is just me (thumbs u

thanks in advance.

Barks

EC

Fawcett

My list would be...

Fiction House

Barks

it is all relative...

I guess I only think of "high grade" as investment type quality... EC's have little chance of going up (the Gaines have slipped and slipped...)... Fawcetts too, don't seem to garner much interest in high grade (look at all the Crowley's selling WAY under even minimal expectations)... but for some reason, HG barks still sell well (and maybe it is due to foreign funding)...

now, if just looking for "quality", then I would say EC #2 (they are some great reads for sure), but they have all been collected in reprints, so no real "demand" increases there, either...

Fawcetts need a lot more than a shot in the arm, but it is possible that if a Shazam! type movie hit the big screen, there could be some potential there..

but, if I was going to put $5000 in a book for the next, say 5 years ,I would put it in a nice HG key barks, before I would put it in a Fawcett or EC... but that is just me (thumbs u

(thumbs u

thanks in advance.

Barks

EC

Fawcett

My list would be...

Fiction House

Barks

I come uninvited to this party, but.....

ECs (extremely cheap and reasonably, even in high grade, and there have never been warehouse finds of these, unlike Fawcetts and Fiction House, they are also relatively short easy runs to complete.

Barks stuff - mostly due to Disney's significance

Fiction House - Still some nice stuff at resonable prices, but other than Baker stuff and a few classic covers, alot of the same stuff over and over and alot of it is non descript

Fawcetts - if you have read one, you have read most of them, some classic war covers though, and the late stuff is pretty tough, especially in grade

thanks in advance.

Barks

EC

Fawcett

My list would be...

Fiction House

Barks

I come uninvited to this party, but.....

ECs (extremely cheap and reasonably, even in high grade, and there have never been warehouse finds of these, unlike Fawcetts and Fiction House, they are also relatively short easy runs to complete.

Barks stuff - mostly due to Disney's significance

Fiction House - Still some nice stuff at resonable prices, but other than Baker stuff and a few classic covers, alot of the same stuff over and over and alot of it is non descript

Fawcetts - if you have read one, you have read most of them, some classic war covers though, and the late stuff is pretty tough, especially in grade

like you need an invitation :baiting:

80 to 85k....that there estimate is way off..

Whut in tarnation? Fixed that for you. :baiting:

Dear G.A.tor,

I don't own a single Golden Age book yet. Let's say in 2011 I could spend around $2,000 throughout the year (I'd like to start slower) and start collecting GA books, what type/genre should I buy?

Things I have seen that interest me so far:

Mighty Mouse

Captain Marvel / Captain Marvel Junior

Sheena Covers

Sub-mariner

Thanks!

John

Of the titles that interest you ...captain marvel will get you more bang for the Buck...but resell would be hindered

Dear G.A.tor,

I don't own a single Golden Age book yet. Let's say in 2011 I could spend around $2,000 throughout the year (I'd like to start slower) and start collecting GA books, what type/genre should I buy?

Things I have seen that interest me so far:

Mighty Mouse

Captain Marvel / Captain Marvel Junior

Sheena Covers

Sub-mariner

Thanks!

John