• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Dear G.A.tor;

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the potential for upswing on the following books, and which ones do you think have the most room to grow in high grade:

1. 1st Deadman

2. 1st Wasp

3. Heidi, the Girl who loved the Swastika

4. Wonder Woman 199

5. Little Dot #1

6. Richie Rich #1

7. Treasure Chest issues with Crandall 'Godless Communism' stories

8. Cerebus #1

9. Marvel 35 cent price variants

10. Amazing Spider-man #28

Dear Gator,

Yesterday, my sister pushed me down the stairs again. I don't know why she does this, but she seems to think it's great fun. I have told my mother about this, but she tells me I'm making it up, seeing as how I'm 6'4", 19, and 250 lbs, and my sister is 10. Will you please tell me how to stop my sister from pushing me down the stairs?

Sincerely,

Bruised in Beaumont.

Dear G.A.tor,

I was looking at date stamps and realised that books would have taken time to distribute across the US, and therefore there would be several possible dates stamped on a given issue. How big do you think the range of dates would be? A week? Two weeks? How long would it have taken to get a batch of comics to a gas station in the middle of Wyoming?

Inevitable follow-up question: since newspapers are printed in several cities precisely because they need to be on newsstands quickly, were comics ever printed in multiple places?

Thanks in advance for your insight into these questions that clearly do not merit a separate thread,

Andy

I have seen same issues with date stamps a month apart...could have been transit time, could have been local distributor delays, could have been newstands issues... not sure anyone has really every researched in depth...

what we have to keep in mind is that the 4 color printing process that occured in the 1930's and 40's is relatively simplistic compared to today's technology... even Timely comics used former chesler/centaur printing facilities to produce books...so, multiple printers could have been (and likely were) used...but, they were still fairly regionally located together, so I have never heard, say, of there being superman 1's printed in NY and CAL in the same month...anyone else have more info, please share

only thing I know is that the arrival date stamped on a comic and the publishing date on the comic can be anywhere from 1-3 months apart. full date stamps :luhv:

Dear Gator,

Yesterday, my sister pushed me down the stairs again. I don't know why she does this, but she seems to think it's great fun. I have told my mother about this, but she tells me I'm making it up, seeing as how I'm 6'4", 19, and 250 lbs, and my sister is 10. Will you please tell me how to stop my sister from pushing me down the stairs?

Sincerely,

Bruised in Beaumont.

I could tell you, but it would spoil the fun

Dear G.A.tor;

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the potential for upswing on the following books, and which ones do you think have the most room to grow in high grade:

1. 1st Deadman

2. 1st Wasp

3. Heidi, the Girl who loved the Swastika

4. Wonder Woman 199

5. Little Dot #1

6. Richie Rich #1

7. Treasure Chest issues with Crandall 'Godless Communism' stories

8. Cerebus #1

9. Marvel 35 cent price variants

10. Amazing Spider-man #28

to be honest, I believe Cerebus has had as much movement as is reasonable...asm 28, has always been "tough" due to the black cover, but enough copies out there these days, it appears, to satisfy demand...

I am a fan of LD 1 and RR 1, but not sure it is mainstream enough in the Superhero collecting world to ever "move" any great distance...

so, I hate to say it, even a WW 199, which has had some HG hyped prices, really have no where to go, but possibly down (or static to say the least)... there is just too much supply, and too easily manufactured high grade potential copies, for any long term appreciation (short term would be hit or miss)

Dear Gator,

Planet Comics 71 is one of my favorite covers by Maurice Whitman. Can you recommend other books by Maurice Whitman that stand out to you?

if you like PC 71, then you will likely like PC 73...MW also did Fight 76 which I think is pretty cool...I also have a wings 124 which I believe whitman did (not his best, but still enjoyable)...his run of Ranger covers in the 60's has some cool ones as well ...

but, my favorite of all whitman covers is Man O' Mars # 1...check it out (thumbs u

but, my favorite of all whitman covers is Man O' Mars # 1...check it out (thumbs u

One of the most underrated covers ever. Green-skinned alien chicks rule! :cloud9:

noticed a cake...enjoy your day

Dear Gator,

Planet Comics 71 is one of my favorite covers by Maurice Whitman. Can you recommend other books by Maurice Whitman that stand out to you?

if you like PC 71, then you will likely like PC 73...MW also did Fight 76 which I think is pretty cool...I also have a wings 124 which I believe whitman did (not his best, but still enjoyable)...his run of Ranger covers in the 60's has some cool ones as well ...

Wow! I just checked out Man O' Mars #1 and it is now a must have. Thanks for the great recommendations. You're the man!

1). What is a fair price for a Detective Comics #33 in VF condition with slight restoration? Is this a book you would stay away from if restored?

2). Will Mac Raboy covers ever reach the level of Schomburg or Flessel covers?

Thanks in advance for your response Rick.

the answer to #1 really depends on "what" slight resto was done... I know a raw VF, with reported slight resto sat unsold for years at 9K... now, I would never stay away from resto , I would only stay away from unfairly repriced resto books...slight resto is a GREAT way to get a GREAT book , mostly at some % of what a comparable unrestored would sell for... appearance also plays a part...but a "generic" answer is in the sub 5 figure range (without more specifics)

2)Raboy has actually "had" his day, and to some extent, still does today...long before cgc, folks were aware of, and collected Raboy covers...they are cool, but unlikely they will ever (mainly because of the character(s) ) reach a level of demand that Schomburg has, due to relative ease of supply...

1). What is a fair price for a Detective Comics #33 in VF condition with slight restoration? Is this a book you would stay away from if restored?

the answer to #1 really depends on "what" slight resto was done... I know a raw VF, with reported slight resto sat unsold for years at 9K... now, I would never stay away from resto , I would only stay away from unfairly repriced resto books...slight resto is a GREAT way to get a GREAT book , mostly at some % of what a comparable unrestored would sell for... appearance also plays a part...but a "generic" answer is in the sub 5 figure range (without more specifics)

2)Raboy has actually "had" his day, and to some extent, still does today...long before cgc, folks were aware of, and collected Raboy covers...they are cool, but unlikely they will ever (mainly because of the character(s) ) reach a level of demand that Schomburg has, due to relative ease of supply...

Apart from trimming - what slight restoe is "favoured" (minor CT and glue?) and what is considered 'bad' slight restoe (no chunks - not even pieves - can be added in 'slight' as I understand it?) (shrug)

Everybody will be sitting at home with their GA books cracked out of the vault, - and will be going "geesh, are my restored books "ok"-ed plods or are they always gonna be frowned upon" ...

Can you help these people with a little advise ... to help them out of their missery they/we need a method to determine the status of restored books.

Edited by Angelius Silesius

Apart from trimming - what slight restoe is "favoured" (minor CT and glue?) and what is considered 'bad' slight restoe (no chunks - not even pieves - can be added in 'slight' as I understand it?) (shrug)

Everybody will be sitting at home with their GA books cracked out of the vault, - and will be going "geesh, are my restored books "ok"-ed plods or are they always gonna be frowned upon" ...

Can you help these people with a little advise ... to help them out of their missery they/we need a method to determine the status of restored books.

the degree of resto and type of resto help to determine "value"...

on slight, I prefer a little color touch or tear seal, vs a small piece added (yes, you can have a small piece added and still be "slight") or cleaned...the reason, color touch and glue are "reversable"... what does that mean?...it means you can remove that resto and have an "un" unrestored book (lower grade, likely)...

so, I would pay more for a slight 8.0 with color touch, that I might be able to get into a 6.0 holder, than I would for a slight 8.0 with cover cleaned, which you cannot "unrestore"... that said, a cover cleaned only slight is still a very desirable book, at the right price (thumbs u

3 brothers enter a hotel and ask the desk clerk how much for a room. The clerk tells them it's $30. Each of the brothers hands over $10. They get the key and head up to the room.

The clerk realizes that he overcharged them. It should have been $25. So, he gives 5 singles to the bell boy and tells him to bring it up to the 3 brothers. In the elevator, the bell boy thinks "they'll never know", and he keep $2 for himself and gives each of the 3 brothers a dollar back.

So, each of the three brothers paid $9, for a total of $27. The bell boy kept $2. That makes $29.

Where's the last dollar?