• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Equally exhilarating for me. They've never lost their appeal.
:headbang:

That's the key, I think. At least for me. I'm not a dealer. But I found myself rebagging some bronze yesterday and I stopped and stared for a while at my copy of Marvel Feature #4. It's maybe VF at best, but I could remember where I bought it and when, who from, why I wanted it and how hard it was to find a decent copy, etc. etc. And it triggered the same feeling of 'at last I have found you' euphoria that I got when I pulled it out of the bin at a store in San Francisco in the 90's.

If the books never lose their appeal it doesn't matter what they are. The value is something much more dare I say spiritual than just their investment potential. And so you have to measure maybe how many "wins" the book supplies you, I think. Money? Check. Excitement? Check. Cultural value? Check. Personal victory? Check. Commoditizing collectibles has the very real danger of being soulless otherwise.

Silver age Marvel keys, Gold mega keys, bronze nothing in mid-grade--it doesn't matter as long as there is fire in the acquisition and retention of said collectible.

BB said US 5 the '1916 Quarter' tale- is classic, but the 'Bottle Cap' one is an equally astounding extrapolation of money matters. I also recall a fondness for 'Land of the Pygmy Indians'...

Dear Gator,

Did Carl Barks own a 1916 quarter all his life?

Sincerely,

Numismaduck.

BB said US 5 the '1916 Quarter' tale- is classic, but the 'Bottle Cap' one is an equally astounding extrapolation of money matters. I also recall a fondness for 'Land of the Pygmy Indians'...

Dear Gator,

Did Carl Barks own a 1916 quarter all his life?

Sincerely,

Numismaduck.

my guess is as a young child in the early 1900's, very few boys had any quarters at all...

Gator,

What is the greatest Barks book?

ah, to try to narrow to one "single" greatest is nary an impossible task, as each Barks fan will no doubt have their favorite...

for me, as a scrooge mcduck fan, I have to say FC 178...but your milage will vary (thumbs u

I prefer the FC 291 story but I think US 5 is a close second. I also read the "Second Richest Duck" story many times. If I had a copy of FC 29 I might be singing its praises but I don't. The Egyptian scenes in the book are great. Did Barks visit England and visit the artifacts in the British Museum or go to Africa?

Neither - the Egyptian scenes are cribbed from a National Geographic article. The Another Rainbow Barks Library has comparisons of the panels and the article's photos. But agreed - they are very nicely done. (I'll try to remember to scan them and post a few.)

Just posted over in the Show us your Ducks thread.

My budget cap in 1979 was $50. But my spending was split between baseball cards and comics and I always figured why get one GA DC when you could get 5 early Marvels and still have money left for some Topps multi-packs or Wacky packages?

Quick question, I just realized that Vacations Parade 2 is the first Uncle Scrooge cover appearance (I always belived FC 386 was). Does the book deserves a premium because of that?
according to the market, no, but that doesn't mean it won't change

Flash 105!

A similar A1 mod 6.5 went for 150K just moons ago.

This is an Ext .5 book. If this goes north of 40K I will mess my pants.

But then again IF the hulk #181 cgc 9.9 sale is legit, - then anyhting can happen. Reality sometimes seem to surpass reality ... sometimes at least