• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Dear Gator

Between you and Bedrock, who's going to have the better stock in San Diego?

xoxo

greggy

that bedrock is so dreamy :luhv:

Richie gave Donnie and David a run for their money back in the day. :)

teenmag1.jpg

OMG...he is dreamy :o

Dear G.A.tor,

What tips can you give as to finding and buying golden ages comics for a newbie like myself? And what golden age comics should I be going after right now? (I collect Batman and Wonder Woman) more Batman.

I feel ww comics are still undervalued at the moment. I have put the run together several times and have been quietly upgrading copies for years. Issues 60-80 are particularly challenging in 6.0 and above. In fact you could extend that back into the 50's. That and issue 1 and 6. Those are the ww issues I like the most

Batman is fun too but only challenging to collect if you establish some restrictions. Like last time I put run together I limited myself to only 6.0 or higher and only unrestored. 1,11,16,18,47 are among my favorites

As for where? Well that is the million dollar question. Here on the boards, Comiclink, heritage, comicconnect, eBay and conventions are your best best to procure copies

Dear G.A.tor,

I am a budget minded collector but I like the idea of long term holding of key book that could potentially be used to help supliment college funds etc for the kids (I can't save money, I have tried) :devil:. If I were to be able to scrape up enough funds to buy say a copy of Amazing spiderman #1 cgc 5.5 or cgc 6.0 condition do you think I would notice any appreciable gains over say the next 10 years or do I have to shoot for the stars and buy a higher grade copy??? (worship)

I feel ww comics are still undervalued at the moment. I have put the run together several times and have been quietly upgrading copies for years. Issues 60-80 are particularly challenging in 6.0 and above. In fact you could extend that back into the 50's. That and issue 1 and 6. Those are the ww issues I like the most

Batman is fun too but only challenging to collect if you establish some restrictions. Like last time I put run together I limited myself to only 6.0 or higher and only unrestored. 1,11,16,18,47 are among my favorites

As for where? Well that is the million dollar question. Here on the boards, Comiclink, heritage, comicconnect, eBay and conventions are your best best to procure copies

Thank you for the advice! And right now for Batman my goal is to collect 6.0 or better. Some issues I might have to get lower due to funding. Hopefully that will change within time. And GA Wonder woman I've noticed are kind of hard to track down. (maybe I've just been concentrating on Batman too much) lol

Dear G.A.tor,

I am a budget minded collector but I like the idea of long term holding of key book that could potentially be used to help supliment college funds etc for the kids (I can't save money, I have tried) :devil:. If I were to be able to scrape up enough funds to buy say a copy of Amazing spiderman #1 cgc 5.5 or cgc 6.0 condition do you think I would notice any appreciable gains over say the next 10 years or do I have to shoot for the stars and buy a higher grade copy??? (worship)

pretty safe bet the book will appreciate at a better than current rate of inflation but one would need to watch the market, as that could change a few years down the road (Thumbs u

Dear G.A.tor,

pretty safe bet the book will appreciate at a better than current rate of inflation but one would need to watch the market, as that could change a few years down the road (Thumbs u

Past history shows the book has appreciated in all grades. The higher the grade, the larger the appreciation. I would say MANNUP and buy the highest grade you can reasonably afford. I would suggest that a 7.5 grade might be the best bet, keeping it at the top of a mid-grade level. Just MHO.

Dear G.A.tor,

Past history shows the book has appreciated in all grades. The higher the grade, the larger the appreciation. I would say MANNUP and buy the highest grade you can reasonably afford. I would suggest that a 7.5 grade might be the best bet, keeping it at the top of a mid-grade level. Just MHO.

Better start saving now then lol

Hi G.A.tor

If you had to classify artist Al Bryant into one of the following category labels, in your opinion which would you select?

*Legendary

*Significant

*Known

Examples I have noted (so you can relate to my standards) for my ongoing GA research has been (this is not a complete list):

*Legendary - Eisner, Baker, Frazetta, Joe Shuster

*Significant - Nordling, Gustavson, Creig Flessel, Sheldon Mayer

*Known: Sahle, H.C. Kiefer, Rodlow Willard, Fran Matera, Ed Waldman, Walt Spouse, Manny Stallman , Norman Nodel

Personally, I feel Bryant should fall into the 'Significant' category, but am I being bias because I favor his art? Should I create an additional category for my personal research between 'Significant' and 'Known'? Perhaps a 'Better Known' between the two would make classification easier for me? Your opinion would help solidify my decision.

I like the known and better known. For collectors of kid eternity and blackhawk etc he is "significant" but in general ga terms probably more known/better known

Don't forget, Bryant created some nice covers for Feature Comics too. Thanks a lot G.A.tor for the reply. It definitely confirmed what I was thinking. I just implemented a new 'Better Known' category. Of course, classifying artists in such categories is subjective I suppose, and no one will agree with them all. There's some GA artists that are difficult for me to classify because they may fall close to boundaries of other label categories, like Al Bryant. But I believe your experienced opinion is representative of most GA comic scholars, and I respect that. Thanks again.

(thumbs u

Don't forget, Bryant created some nice covers for Feature Comics too. Thanks a lot G.A.tor for the reply. It definitely confirmed what I was thinking. I just implemented a new 'Better Known' category. Of course, classifying artists in such categories is subjective I suppose, and no one will agree with them all. There's some GA artists that are difficult for me to classify because they may fall close to boundaries of other label categories, like Al Bryant. But I believe your experienced opinion is representative of most GA comic scholars, and I respect that. Thanks again.

(thumbs u

I wasn't as familiar with his Features covers, so will have to check them out (thumbs u

Any plans to go back to the far east soon GAtor? I had it in the back of my mind that you were planning on doing so this September!
Our church mission team does leave this week for Thailand unfortunately since opening our new store I am unable to participate this trip

Ask Gator . . .

What impact, if any, does Green Lantern the Movie has on the value of GA Green Lantern Comics?

I think in retrospect we can see that prices have softened from pre movie hype. Par for the course