• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

So if you were going to collect a title on life support, what would it be. Batman and Tecs are so hot right now you can get third degree burns when attempting to bid.

From your signature line, looks like you are collecting Silver Age Flash. Silver Age Flash is cool. I love most of the covers. How much upward potential does it have? I would say not a ton, but the covers are really cool.

movie ...movie might change that

So if you were going to collect a title on life support, what would it be. Batman and Tecs are so hot right now you can get third degree burns when attempting to bid.

From your signature line, looks like you are collecting Silver Age Flash. Silver Age Flash is cool. I love most of the covers. How much upward potential does it have? I would say not a ton, but the covers are really cool.

movie ...movie might change that

:gossip: It would be short lived, but silver age Flash rocks regardless :headbang:

GA has had its day, and the SA actually have been declining in price of late (maybe due to increase in census numbers?)... I remember a few years ago someone broke and sold the highest census set on pedigree, and over the last few years , I have seen many of the non pressed/re subs sell at less (shrug)

GA Flash has had its day, and the SA Flash actually have been declining in price of late (maybe due to increase in census numbers?)... I remember a few years ago someone broke and sold the highest census set on pedigree, and over the last few years , I have seen many of the non pressed/re subs sell at less (shrug)

:eek::ohnoez: FIXED!

Gator worshiping GA collectors just reading your response were lining up in panic to jump from windows at Wall Street brokerage houses! :gossip:

I know, you were just keeping them on their toes! (thumbs u

GA Flash has had its day, and the SA Flash actually have been declining in price of late (maybe due to increase in census numbers?)... I remember a few years ago someone broke and sold the highest census set on pedigree, and over the last few years , I have seen many of the non pressed/re subs sell at less (shrug)

:eek::ohnoez: FIXED!

Gator worshiping GA collectors just reading your response were lining up in panic to jump from windows at Wall Street brokerage houses! :gossip:

I know, you were just keeping them on their toes! (thumbs u

hehe

Oh G.A.tor, I have my first question for your oracle:

how do I get rid of the brittleness plague paranoia which has started to grow on me?

I just received a book which was advertised as a VG: it‘s solid but is so brittle I am fearful even to look at it.

As a veeery new (and broke) golden age collector this is not only an unpleasant surprise, but a thing which worries me.

How can you trust sellers you have not done business previously with, as long as brittleness is not disclosed? :(

I believe you are overseas correct? Makes it hard to view books in person so I would recommend only buying cgc graded books that detail pq or use a trusted proxy in the US to inspect pq before they ship book to you

Unfortunately there are many unscrupulous sellers out there that will take advantage

Oh, yes I’m italian. :)

I understand your advice about using CGC as a warranty, but to me it’s a hassle, plus the shipping cost is more.

My question was slightly bitter, but more humorous than tragic, I have already focused a roster of sellers I see I can trust, I was just heavily disappointed to see a known seller grading so poorly that he does not even mention brittleness.

I never think badly, but since I already had problems with this sellers, and since it simply seems he’s unable to grade (I think I would grade better than him, and this speaks a lot, considered my small experience) I will stop buying from him.

Thanks, o'mighty G.A.tor! :)

No doubt if you are not happy with a seller , we as buyers have a right to not patron them (thumbs u

silver.jpeg

GATor,

In your estimation of it, how many of us exist?

Perhaps a clarification is in order: how many GA collectors do you think there are out there today?

Of course, I'm not expecting an exact number - 7,984...

but just an order of magnitude - 1000, 10000, 100000,...

Edited by Dr Carl

From what I have observed at conventions, boards, bidding etc I would think 5k to be a low number, but 10k could be low too But absolutely impossible to narrow down IMO

how do I get rid of the brittleness plague paranoia which has started to grow on me?

I just received a book which was advertised as a VG: it‘s solid but is so brittle I am fearful even to look at it.

As a veeery new (and broke) golden age collector this is not only an unpleasant surprise, but a thing which worries me.

How can you trust sellers you have not done business previously with, as long as brittleness is not disclosed? :(

Sounds like the book is not VG and you should ask for a return. :wishluck:

Hope that works out well for you, "paizon"

I know 0.5, but for me it’s always the same problem. :(

Being in Italy, returning a 70-100USD book is more expensive than other. I’ve seen a seller has a coverless copy for 15USD, so I rather may be going for that. At least, I will have just a brittle cover… lol

Besides, the book was bought to cash a discount on a previous purchase, where another book wasn’t adequately described (Good, but with a missing centerfold and a half-torn out page (tsk)), so I guess for me it’s just curtains with that seller.

Now, an easiest question would be: how many golden age collectors there are in Italy? I would like to meet some other, but while there are people collecting silver age in original edition, I know of none collecting GA. (Biggest reason is the 98% of the production has never been published here).

Hope that works out well for you, "paizon"

Hmm… I think it’s "paisan". Should be some northern dialect.

But, hey… thanks, indeed. :)

Edited by vaillant