• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Gator, do you think Ohio State FB can duplicate its unbeaten record next year?
pre bowl I would expect it. Quality of their conference is pathetic compared to UM talent

Bowl game win/loss is tbd

GAtor,

Were you a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon?

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20130106/ARTICLES/130109772/1182?Title=Letters-indicate-troubled-frat-was-accused-of-theft-hazing-underage-drinking-

And were you still collecting comic books in the college days?

Unfortunately I had to work full time to pay my way through Florida, so I was unable to join any fraternity...that said, yes, I was collecting comics (I started in 1973 and have never stopped)

I'm mystified about something. A seller on ebay has Famous Funnies #2 CGC 4.0 for sale and claims it is the only existing copy on the census , which is supported by it, but GPA shows many copies selling over the years. I am under the impression that all the books on GPA are certified by CGC, so why is there a difference in the number of graded copies differ in the CGC census vs GPA?

I asked the seller why he claimed it was the only copy in existence, but I'm still mystified by the differences in the two censuses.

Wassup with this GAtor?

ebay listing

:news: I just noticed there are 2 Famous Funnies #2's - separated by different publication dates doh! (what I get for doing this at work)

So why doesn't GPA distinguish them - or do they . . .

Help!

:news: I just noticed there are 2 Famous Funnies #2's - separated by different publication dates doh! (what I get for doing this at work)

Help!

Overstreet just lists the one with a 9/34 publication date. So, the seller seems to be correct in stating that this book is not in Overstreet, as far as I can see. Looking on Heritage, the covers of the two books (FF2 9/34 and FF2 12/34) appear the same. Is this book actually a second printing of the 9/34 book listed in Overstreet or does the content differ?

Help!

there are 2 printings (content identical iirc) ...one with the 9/34 cover date (september 1934 in bottom left of the main cover art frame), and the second with the 12/34 cover date (december 1934 printed top middle of main cover art frame)

gpa probably has only seen recorded sales of the 9/34 cover date and therefore will not have any recorded sales of the dec copy until this one sells (if)...

Odd that GPA doesn't really differentiate between the two.

The seller is looking to double what he paid. Optimistic (shrug)

Not to rain on his listing -- I hope he gets what he's asking for -- but I don't know how many collectors target early issues of Famous Funnies. And of those, how many would pay a premium for a later printing of an early issue, rare though it apparently is?

my guess is that george is unaware of the variation and that is why it was not distinquished...if someone were to email him to this fact, he may or may not change...or, could be that there is so little sales movement for this title, that there is no price distinction, and need to separate... but, that is george's call...cgc differentiates (thumbs u

Not to rain on his listing -- I hope he gets what he's asking for -- but I don't know how many collectors target early issues of Famous Funnies. And of those, how many would pay a premium for a later printing of an early issue, rare though it apparently is?

my guess is there is no premium warranted, unless manufactured by hype

Actually, this book was sold on Heritage last February and that sale is the 4.0 listed on GPA. I would guess the other sales listed on GPA are probably the (9/34) first printing.
that would make sense...given that there is only one current 12/34 copy in the census...if there is only one gpa recorded sale and the cert # matches, that is a valid extention

Hi Gator,

long time listener first time asker. I'm sure you already gave your thoughts on cva but I don't remember reading it. what do you think of them as a business practice? Are they good or bad for the hobby? Do you feel they are simply a ploy for sellers and auction houses to grab more money out of books or do you feel there is a legitimate need and use for their service?

Thank you for your time,

Hbo_boxingfan

Hi Gator,

long time listener first time asker. I'm sure you already gave your thoughts on cva but I don't remember reading it. what do you think of them as a business practice? Are they good or bad for the hobby? Do you feel they are simply a ploy for sellers and auction houses to grab more money out of books or do you feel there is a legitimate need and use for their service?

Thank you for your time,

Hbo_boxingfan

I have not publicly stated an opinion one way or another...though I certainly have discussed privately.

That said I believe the market will relatively quickly determine if this is a service to be supported or not

Hi Gator,

Thank you for your time,

Hbo_boxingfan

I have not publicly stated an opinion one way or another...though I certainly have discussed privately.

That said I believe the market will relatively quickly determine if this is a service to be supported or not

Gator2B.jpg

thumbsupimage-1-3A.jpgThumbsdown2B.jpg.......... hm

[font:Times New Roman]Dear Gator,

Have you ever considered running for office?[/font] wink.gif

Hi Gator,

Thank you for your time,

Hbo_boxingfan

Gator2B.jpg

thumbsupimage-1-3A.jpgThumbsdown2B.jpg.......... hm

[font:Times New Roman]Dear Gator,

Have you ever considered running for office?[/font] wink.gif

as a matter of fact yes I have