• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

What folks have to remember is one sale does not make the market. I have bought and sold dozens bat 1s and 11 aa16s in the past couple of years. That is what Allows me to make and give a more informed and accurate "opinion" , having multiple sales and An a more in depth understanding of the market for these type books. Not saying i am always right of course but i generally have more information from which to base my assessments (thumbs u

I respect your opinion big-time Rick, I wouldn't have first asked you the question if I didn't. My point in this case is that since AA #16 is so rare when it comes to CGC slabbed universal examples, it doesn't have the same opportunity to set precedents sales-wise. Years can go by before a copy in the same grade re-sells or sells again, where as Batman #1 can be found in many major auctions.

The 1.0 copy w/BRITTLE pages was the last public sale of a complete Universal copy and it sold strong at $11,250.

What is GPA for Batman #1 Universal w/BRITTLE pages? hm

although not nearly as rare as AA16, demand and popularity for Bat 1s has been higher at least in the last 10 years or so I believe. AA16 has been a high value key for years, but I can certainly see it being passed by Bat 1 and Cap 1s in the future. I believe a 2.0 brittle Bat 1 sold last Fall for $19k? Somebody confirm that...

[font:Times New Roman]Dear Gator,

What kind of basketball shoes do you recommend?[/font] hm

preferably ones that fit! lol

I have Nike and reebok ... There is no right shoe , just whatever one personally prefers

Jordan 3s and 11s for me :cool:

I see your 3's and 11's and add in some 5's and 8's. (thumbs u

yah those are nice kicks too..never owned those before...love your sig line :)

I have Nike and reebok ... There is no right shoe , just whatever one personally prefers

comfort and support are they key

Asics for me.

I always think of wrestling or running shoes with that brand.

comfort and support are they key

Asics for me.

I always think of wrestling or running shoes with that brand.

Tennis.

What folks have to remember is one sale does not make the market. I have bought and sold dozens bat 1s and 11 aa16s in the past couple of years. That is what Allows me to make and give a more informed and accurate "opinion" , having multiple sales and An a more in depth understanding of the market for these type books. Not saying i am always right of course but i generally have more information from which to base my assessments (thumbs u

I respect your opinion big-time Rick, I wouldn't have first asked you the question if I didn't. My point in this case is that since AA #16 is so rare when it comes to CGC slabbed universal examples, it doesn't have the same opportunity to set precedents sales-wise. Years can go by before a copy in the same grade re-sells or sells again, where as Batman #1 can be found in many major auctions.

The 1.0 copy w/BRITTLE pages was the last public sale of a complete Universal copy and it sold strong at $11,250.

funny you should ask. It is about 50% more (thumbs u

And while publicly an aa16 might not seem to be available ...for someone that really wants one they are as available as a batman 1 (and for less) (thumbs u

although not nearly as rare as AA16, demand and popularity for Bat 1s has been higher at least in the last 10 years or so I believe. AA16 has been a high value key for years, but I can certainly see it being passed by Bat 1 and Cap 1s in the future. I believe a 2.0 brittle Bat 1 sold last Fall for $19k? Somebody confirm that...
a nice looking 1.0 Brittle just sold a month ago for almost 16k

Another aa16 to bat 1 comparison. Right now on clink an aa16 in 4.0 at 37k has been sitting for a week with only a 28k offer. A batman 1 in cgc 4.0 would disappear in less than a minute at 37k....would sell in 5 min at 50k and would sell faster at 60k than the aa16@37.

So someone actually asked me to give Approx "value" to each of my top ten in 2.0 so here goes. Keep in mind I am giving a range b.c as we know not all 2.0s are created equal!

1) action 1....175-200k

2) detective 27...150-175k

3) superman 1...50-70k

4) batman 1...20-25k

5) captain America 1...20-25k

6) pep 22...20-25k

7) action 7...20-25k

8) detective 31...20-22k

9) marvel 1...20-22k

10) all American 16...15-17k

So someone actually asked me to give Approx "value" to each of my top ten in 2.0 so here goes. Keep in mind I am giving a range b.c as we know not all 2.0s are created equal!

1) action 1....175-200k

3) superman 1...50-70k

4) batman 1...20-25k

6) pep 22...20-25k

7) action 7...20-25k

8) detective 31...20-22k

9) marvel 1...20-22k

and we also know good eye appeal would push those prices a bit more. Especially since some are now frowning upon adding 2013 tape to a 70 year old book and getting a bump.

1) action 1....175-200k

3) superman 1...50-70k

4) batman 1...20-25k

6) pep 22...20-25k

7) action 7...20-25k

8) detective 31...20-22k

9) marvel 1...20-22k

I might even trade out All American #16 for Detective Comics #29. they seem to be pretty close in value.

1) action 1....175-200k

3) superman 1...50-70k

4) batman 1...20-25k

6) pep 22...20-25k

7) action 7...20-25k

8) detective 31...20-22k

9) marvel 1...20-22k

I might even trade out All American #16 for Detective Comics #29. they seem to be pretty close in value.

AA16 might still be ahead by a hair. Tec 29s are going $5000-$7000 a point low grade per the last three CGC sales I know of.

but, in my personal opinion, all american 16 easily bests pep 22 and action 7 (and probably tec 31) regarding overall superhero key issue coolness factor.

dollar value aside of course. archie can be as hot as he wants, and money trends change over time, but AA 16 will always be a top 7 or 8 killer book to this old time collector :)

I don't disagree...but this list is not "cool" GA superhero books in order,or most important, etc... but today's market cap/value...and AA 16 barely cuts mustard these days... that said, I used to keep 5 copies in stock, so I fully support the book....but as ciorac will attest, just a few months ago he had a "tough" time selling his copy at very reasonable prices...the top 9 books would have NO problem selling at very reasonable prices....

aa 16 just doesn't command the collector $ like it once did...doesn't change how us old timers feel about it, but the character is barely relevant today (like spectre and sandman, etc)...

we are in a different time my friends!

gator, based on what you're saying, this would be the time (if i were loaded) to be scooping them up. that's a book i'd be willing to speculate on over the long haul.
I guess I would pose the question to you...why?....the prices are not at any type of low (actually higher than ever)...they are just stagnant due to demand...and, to be honest, I cannot forsee any event (short of dc making alan scott the center of the universe, or a major movie, etc, which is anything short of highly unlikely) changing the demand for this book?...as us "old timers" get older, more and more copies will come to market, with a presumably stagnant (or even decreasing demand), which will cause prices, at some future point, to decline....

would be a bad "speculation" in my opinion hm

gator, based on what you're saying, this would be the time (if i were loaded) to be scooping them up. that's a book i'd be willing to speculate on over the long haul.
I guess I would pose the question to you...why?....the prices are not at any type of low (actually higher than ever)...they are just stagnant due to demand...and, to be honest, I cannot forsee any event (short of dc making alan scott the center of the universe, or a major movie, etc, which is anything short of highly unlikely) changing the demand for this book?...as us "old timers" get older, more and more copies will come to market, with a presumably stagnant (or even decreasing demand), which will cause prices, at some future point, to decline....

This is what I want to hear. I'll wait until prices decrease a bit more :grin: Everything Gator has stated about AA 16 is true and accurate.

This is what I want to hear. I'll wait until prices decrease a bit more :grin: Everything Gator has stated about AA 16 is true and accurate.

I know folks know this, but just to clarify, everything I type on this forum that is not a known fact is MY opinion....I am wrong sometimes ;)

(end of my disclaimer)

I know folks know this, but just to clarify, everything I type on this forum that is not a known fact is MY opinion....I am wrong sometimes ;)

(end of my disclaimer)

(thumbs u History shows that you've either been right on the money or very close to your estimates.