• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

I can tell you beschara has turned down way more than one million for the 8.0 (mile high superman 1). Last he told me it would take "a lot more" to get him to sell

So my reconsidered guess is in 8.0 superman is #1, followed by action and detective

Because its the best known copy ....

On a unique book like the mile high supes 1 where a more than one million dollar offer has been refused by the owner more than once (2 diff 1mill + offers I am aware of) I would equate that to relative FMv

Now if another 8.0 supes 1 hit the auction block I would guesstimate a bid in the 750k range to win it. That would keep supes 1 firmly entrenched at 3 :)

I think there have been more than 2 offers...

last time I spoke to B about it he told me of a couple but no doubt there has been more!

I can tell you beschara has turned down way more than one million for the 8.0 (mile high superman 1). Last he told me it would take "a lot more" to get him to sell

So my reconsidered guess is in 8.0 superman is #1, followed by action and detective

Because its the best known copy ....

:gossip: the dentist's purportedly is nicer and I would bet dollar to donuts mr fishler has one as nice too :o

But graded...yes

Dear G.A.tor:

I've been wondering about this for years. With GGA, is it Good Girl ... Art or Good ... Girl Art? That is, are the girls good or is the art good? hm

Thanks.

Sqeggs

Dear G.A.tor:

I've been wondering about this for years. With GGA, is it Good Girl ... Art or Good ... Girl Art? That is, are the girls good or is the art good? hm

Thanks.

Sqeggs

[font:Times New Roman]I'd like to chime in with a informed reformed opinion, before Gator sinks his teeth into this one, if no one minds. smiley-greet009.gif

... In my experience this depends entirely on the meaning of good, since sometimes good means bad, ...in a very good way. :devil:

The bottom line though, it could be both! [/font] (thumbs u

Dear G.A.tor:

Thanks.

Sqeggs

the serious answer is dave alexander coined the term moons ago...he meant it to be "good" (as in well drawn) girl art...

Dear G.A.tor:

Thanks.

Sqeggs

the serious answer is dave alexander coined the term moons ago...he meant it to be "good" (as in well drawn) girl art...

Mystery solved! Thanks.

Dear G.A.tor:

Thanks.

Sqeggs

[font:Times New Roman]For some reason I read Dave Alexander as Dave Anderson! So much for my lame attempt at dental humor. :cry:

I need to get my eyes flossed. [/font] :facepalm:

Dear G.A.tor

I know this is the GA forum but do you have a forecast for HG silver keys? Anecdotaly I have noticed prices softening. The Avengers 4 9.6 being an example.

Thanks in advance

Jake

Supply + demand= price.

Since demand remains relatively stable for hg sa keys, the main variable becomes supply...that is not fixed. More and more hg copies either surface or are "created" so I see a continuing of price softening unless something leads to an increase in demand.

Love your term created that is what is happening with all the pressing going on.Avengers 4 is a great book but far from rare.The market and money supply is always hurting this time of year after the tax man cometh but bounces back when the pocketbook gets a recharge.My 2 cents!

Dear G.A.tor:

Thanks.

Sqeggs

[font:Times New Roman]For some reason I read Dave Alexander as Dave Anderson! So much for my lame attempt at dental humor. :cry:

Is this the same David T. Alexander who has a big presence on eBay?

IIRC, there was a David Alexander who in the late 1960s published a newsletter devoted to Carl Barks. Also, I think, he bought and sold Barks books. Same person? hm

Dear G.A.tor

I know this is the GA forum but do you have a forecast for HG silver keys? Anecdotaly I have noticed prices softening. The Avengers 4 9.6 being an example.

Thanks in advance

Jake

Supply + demand= price.

Since demand remains relatively stable for hg sa keys, the main variable becomes supply...that is not fixed. More and more hg copies either surface or are "created" so I see a continuing of price softening unless something leads to an increase in demand.

[font:Times New Roman]Excellent points, ...and it's the created part that is the most unsettling aspect of this trend.

Grade bumps (via manipulation) and the inconsistent census probably add more volatility to the market than the occasional discovery of new collections or multiple copies of currently hot books being offered for sale over a short period of time (fueling the perception of dumping).

There's one more formulae worth contributing to your market equation if I may be so bold (...and you know I will):

Sudden increase in demand>+ >money%20man%20with%20wheelbarrow_thumb.jpeg>÷ >oversupply> =[/font] >> bubblegum.gif

[font:Times New Roman]So Gator, what do you think might lead to an increase in demand?

How do you see the momentum shifting, say one year out, two years out and beyond?[/font] hm

Dear G.A.tor:

Thanks.

Sqeggs

IIRC, there was a David Alexander who in the late 1960s published a newsletter devoted to Carl Barks. Also, I think, he bought and sold Barks books. Same person? hm

[font:Times New Roman]David T. and his son David are Overstreet Advisors (Tampa, FL.). David T. has been a dealer since the '60's.

Not sure about the Carl Barks newsletter, but it's very likely that he bought and sold Barks books back then.

Gator should be able to provide more insightful scholarship on this.[/font] scholar.gif

Dear G.A.tor:

Thanks.

Sqeggs

yes... One in the same (thumbs u

Dear G.A.tor

Thanks in advance

Jake

Supply + demand= price.

[font:Times New Roman]Excellent points, ...and it's the created part that is the most unsettling aspect of this trend.

Grade bumps (via manipulation) and the inconsistent census probably add more volatility to the market than the occasional discovery of new collections or multiple copies of currently hot books being offered for sale over a short period of time (fueling the perception of dumping).

There's one more formulae worth contributing to your market equation if I may be so bold (...and you know I will):

Sudden increase in demand>+ >money%20man%20with%20wheelbarrow_thumb.jpeg>÷ >oversupply> =[/font] >> bubblegum.gif

[font:Times New Roman]So Gator, what do you think might lead to an increase in demand?

How do you see the momentum shifting, say one year out, two years out and beyond?[/font] hm

Naturally there Are a myriad of variables that could lead to increased demand. However, all things being the same (past trends continuing forward), price point (the continued softening) is what is most likely the variabke that will lead to more demand. It is the cyclical nature of our hobby ... Next 1-2 years we might see a demand increase after market bottoming of prices.

Holy smokes! I wasn't even alive in the 60s. I may technically be middle-aged, but now I can feel young for a little while (at least until I look in the mirror).

Holy smokes! I wasn't even alive in the 60s. I may technically be middle-aged, but now I can feel young for a little while (at least until I look in the mirror).

I was alive and collecting in the 1960s. If I only I had held on to more of the books I had in those days. Come to think of it, if only I had held on to more of the books I had 10 years ago! :D