• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Even though this is in the Golden Age forum, I thought I would ask a a silver age question. So GAtor which silver age flash would you purchase - flash 105 or showcase - and why?
showcase 4 has exploded in price lately. It is the more significant of the two. That said flash 105 is cheap right now. So for value , flash 105 is a good buy right now. For significance , showcase 4 is "the" sa dc book to own

Thanks G.A.tor. It also feels like showcase 8 is picking up steam, but I could be wrong. Overall, I guess I will focus my attention on picking up a showcase 4.

I had about a dozen copies of sc4 last year this time. I only have 4 left and that's b. c. I kept raising price to slow down sales ( every copy I sold would cost me more today to replace than I sold them for). Only sold one of my 3 flash 105s and haven't adjusted price at all. Also only have the one sc8 since last year (Chicago will be first show I offer it at)

Great insight as always G.A.tor. I wish a had the cash on hand to pick-up one of your Showcase 4s. :banana:

But isn't he advising that you buy a Flash 105? hm

After re-reading the post, I guess the better move would be to pick-up the 105 now while the prices are stagnant. Thanks for the catch Sqeggs.

For me at least 105 has not moved price wise so if one feels it will better to buy before prices move up

G.A.tor,

How many games will MLB suspend A-Rod for, and will he every play in the big's again?

Listening to Espn and buster only , my guess is it will fall under the ped clause and be a 50 gamer

Arod says he will play again

Sounds like they're going to ban him for 214 games and he's going to appeal. Whoopee !
interesting

Since all of this is stemming from an investigation and not directly from a test result for a banned substance, MLB doesnt necessarily have to follow the 50/100/lifetime guideline.

Thus why Braun got the 65 games, and why it looks like Arod will lose all of this season and next.

It does look like they are using the 50 game suspension for everyone else though.

Do you think these are actually Okajimas (they're both in Comicconnects Sept auction)

Planet Comics #33:

They have it listed as an Okajima, which since its not listed on the label as the ped, I assume means they have the certificate.

But for the time frame (late '44) the book has neither the camp markings, or the post camp distribution markings that I've seen on every Okajima that I can remember.

Also I havent seen Okajima's with this much dust shadowing (see back cover) either.

Any thoughts?

QI2zmnC.jpg

G917o8t.jpg

Also they've listed a Planet Comics #52

Still no front cover scan showing, but the back cover shows some date stamping that I havent seen on the Okajimas, and again none of the taletale distribution codes that are typically on the cover from this period. Also again, the back cover scan has a lot of discoloration that I havent commonly seen on the Okajimas.

CyXg5dX.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Might be erroneous listing.

Just heard back from connect, the first was erroneous, the second is a Okajima (noted on label) though Im still surprised based on the cover/back markings.

Do you think these are actually Okajimas (they're both in Comicconnects Sept auction)

Planet Comics #33:

They have it listed as an Okajima, which since its not listed on the label as the ped, I assume means they have the certificate.

But for the time frame (late '44) the book has neither the camp markings, or the post camp distribution markings that I've seen on every Okajima that I can remember.

Also I havent seen Okajima's with this much dust shadowing (see back cover) either.

Any thoughts?

QI2zmnC.jpg

G917o8t.jpg

Also they've listed a Planet Comics #52

Still no front cover scan showing, but the back cover shows some date stamping that I havent seen on the Okajimas, and again none of the taletale distribution codes that are typically on the cover from this period. Also again, the back cover scan has a lot of discoloration that I havent commonly seen on the Okajimas.

CyXg5dX.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Might be erroneous listing.

Just heard back from connect, the first was erroneous, the second is a Okajima (noted on label) though Im still surprised based on the cover/back markings.

The small date stamp on the top edge is very consistent with Okajima's

I posted this elsewhere, but since this is a gold-comic related question, and the thread is attended to by a fellow Floridian, I thought I'd put it here.

I have a 7.0 Moderate (P): color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned. Could all of that be un-done? Any idea what it would grade at if you went through all that effort?

The story is that in 2006 or so I went to an auction and bought a Detective 27 that was restored. Having spent all my savings on that, I couldn't bid on the next lot which was an unrestored Action #1. The rest is history: the one that got away has gone up in value by multiples if not magnitudes. Mine hasn't lost value, but in the years since I bought it, there has been a continued stigmatization of PLOD's, and it's under-performed the "one that got away" so badly.

The thing I don't understand about comics generally is why spending money to restore diminishes its value. One would think that it would at the very least be anchored in value to the pre-restoration value, but it seems not. This must be incredibly frustrating to those who's livelihood depends on restoration, and I echo the sentiment of one such expert who writes "I can only hope that within the next 10 years, the marketplace will change and more professionally restored books will be valued at prices worthy of their historical significance and preserved state."

So what do you think:

(a) is it even POSSIBLE to undo restoration?

(b) if it were, would you do it?

© Is there any trend: is PLOD becoming more or less stigmatized over time?

GAtor,

How cold do you like your Coke Zeros to be for optimal drinkability?

I find 38-40 degrees to be quite wonderful

My fridge is set a 38 degrees. Let me know when to stock it with Coke Zero.

I posted this elsewhere, but since this is a gold-comic related question, and the thread is attended to by a fellow Floridian, I thought I'd put it here.

I have a 7.0 Moderate (P): color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned. Could all of that be un-done? Any idea what it would grade at if you went through all that effort?

The story is that in 2006 or so I went to an auction and bought a Detective 27 that was restored. Having spent all my savings on that, I couldn't bid on the next lot which was an unrestored Action #1. The rest is history: the one that got away has gone up in value by multiples if not magnitudes. Mine hasn't lost value, but in the years since I bought it, there has been a continued stigmatization of PLOD's, and it's under-performed the "one that got away" so badly.

The thing I don't understand about comics generally is why spending money to restore diminishes its value. One would think that it would at the very least be anchored in value to the pre-restoration value, but it seems not. This must be incredibly frustrating to those who's livelihood depends on restoration, and I echo the sentiment of one such expert who writes "I can only hope that within the next 10 years, the marketplace will change and more professionally restored books will be valued at prices worthy of their historical significance and preserved state."

So what do you think:

A-no. You can't unrestore cleaning. Book will forever be "plod". You could remove pieces, color touch and tear seals in theory (though you might be left with a mess) but you can't unclean a chemically cleaned book

B-see a (no)

C-yes. Definitely reverting back to days of old where resto is not as stigmatized.

The reason, I believe, that plods are frowned upon is that so many folks had, previous to cgc , bought books they were led to believe we're unrestored , only to send to cgc and unexpectantly receive restored grades. That's where the "purple label of death" came from. Restored books have always had value in the market, but this general "plod" mentality will continue to slowly shift back to more positive.

GAtor,

How cold do you like your Coke Zeros to be for optimal drinkability?

I find 38-40 degrees to be quite wonderful

My fridge is set a 38 degrees. Let me know when to stock it with Coke Zero.

I know you have a room ready for me. Got to find the time hm

So what do you think:

A-no. You can't unrestore cleaning. Book will forever be "plod". You could remove pieces, color touch and tear seals in theory (though you might be left with a mess) but you can't unclean a chemically cleaned book

B-see a (no)

C-yes. Definitely reverting back to days of old where resto is not as stigmatized.

The reason, I believe, that plods are frowned upon is that so many folks had, previous to cgc , bought books they were led to believe we're unrestored , only to send to cgc and unexpectantly receive restored grades. That's where the "purple label of death" came from. Restored books have always had value in the market, but this general "plod" mentality will continue to slowly shift back to more positive.

(worship) [font:Times New Roman]Every time you make three-pointers I'm impressed. [/font] (thumbs u