• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Is there nothing that can be done to mitigate rusty staples and still get a blue label...?

Also, there was an early Cap posted a few months back with rusty staples that was graded a 9.2...how is that possible?

rust is, what it is. The action 1 cgc 8.5 has slightly rusty staples. If that is only flaw an otherwise better book can get a 9. 2 (or whatever)

There is a way to get rid of certain types of rust on staples and still receive a blue label, but for the sake of certain people's sanity, I'm not gonna spell it out here.

:o

Don't let those in comics general know this, lest you want to invoke 200+ pages of impotent nerb boy rage.

lol [font:Times New Roman]How right you are. I can see Vegas giving odds on the number of minutes it takes that thread to reach 200 terminal velocity.[/font]

Is there nothing that can be done to mitigate rusty staples and still get a blue label...?

Also, there was an early Cap posted a few months back with rusty staples that was graded a 9.2...how is that possible?

rust is, what it is. The action 1 cgc 8.5 has slightly rusty staples. If that is only flaw an otherwise better book can get a 9. 2 (or whatever)

There is a way to get rid of certain types of rust on staples and still receive a blue label, but for the sake of certain people's sanity, I'm not gonna spell it out here.

:o

Don't let those in comics general know this, lest you want to invoke 200+ pages of impotent nerb boy rage.

lol [font:Times New Roman]How right you are. I can see Vegas giving odds on the number of minutes it takes that thread to reach 200 terminal velocity.[/font]

Well that's a verifiable fact, indeed. FWIW, Bob just posted the probably most valuable post in CG re: the whole shrinkage affair, in the Schave thread -- which I found factual, frank, accurate and honest. All of which comes as no surprise to anyone who deals with him. But I won't respond on that thread; there seems to be a mini-cabal that would have a field day with whomever's post I endorsed. ;)

FWIW, rust on staples may or may not be a killer for a book to me. I don't mind a light surface rust to staples at all, the removability of it aside -- but I wouldn't like a heavily encrusted staple, and worse than that, bad/noticeable migration to the paper. To me, in general, a 60+ year old book with surface rust on staples only is pretty much in stasis, if kept carefully. If I keep my collection in the steamroom and constantly leave it out on a table, then yeah, I could see the rust worsening. Otherwise not so much.

It also depends on the book -- don't want it on silver age at all; with GA and particularly precode horror/scifi, I'd prefer to avoid it but don't care if the book is tough and the rust isn't too advanced.

Well that's a verifiable fact, indeed. FWIW, Bob just posted the probably most valuable post in CG re: the whole shrinkage affair, in the Schave thread -- which I found factual, frank, accurate and honest. All of which comes as no surprise to anyone who deals with him. But I won't respond on that thread; there seems to be a mini-cabal that would have a field day with whomever's post I endorsed. ;)

Bob Storm's post was indeed a breath of fresh air. Regarding your posts in that thread, for the record, I did not take umbrage with your comments. You seem like a knowledgeable, passionate collector. However, you were taking the conversation on tangents = people were losing track of the big picture. The thread was important and we needed to stay on track, that's all.

Bob Storm's post was indeed a breath of fresh air. Regarding your posts in that thread, for the record, I did not take umbrage with your comments. You seem like a knowledgeable, passionate collector. However, you were taking the conversation on tangents = people were losing track of the big picture. The thread was important and we needed to stay on track, that's all.

I really appreciate it; you are equally so. Agreed that I tend to veer off on tangents, but I've had more than my say on that thread, so won't be doing it any further. Much to some folks' delight I'm sure! And regardless of anyone's personal views, I think they'll all respect and appreciate Bob's take.

I have to remind myself that it's easy for me to take pretty much any position I like in an argument over comics, since I don't actually earn my living trading in books -- I'd hate to affect negatively (even if unintentionally) anyone's perception about the comic industry/or anyone who does earn their living in that way.

Anyway, as Roy mentioned to me not long ago, it's better to be positive if you can be, and I'm actually excited to hopefully contribute more positive stuff as soon as I get my act (and image posting) together! :)

Alright G.A.tor, excluding Batman #1, what are your top 3 Batman covers for issues 2-10?

What about #8 - the infinity cover?

meh. Doesn't do much for me. My 4th is issue 3

Alright G.A.tor, excluding Batman #1, what are your top 3 Batman covers for issues 2-10?

What about #8 - the infinity cover?

meh. Doesn't do much for me. My 4th is issue 3

For me, 8, 9 and 10 are the best composed within this range. The other covers are rather awkward (Robin gets down and kneels, Robin attacks the bad guy's butt, etc. -- & the rope ladder on #4 isn't particularly well done.)

Following 8, 9 & 10, #5 is pretty OK. :)