• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Rick, bringing the dialogue back to comic books, let me ask you a GA question here:

It's clear that when a GA book becomes in demand - such as AS8/Sensation1/WW1 with the WW movie announced, or MF73 with the Aquaman movie announced - prices skyrocket because supply is so low.

Do you think it takes a movie announcement to put the book in demand, or is the tide rising all around - in other words, do you think this is a sign of the rising value of lesser known GA keys such as All-American 19, All-American 25, Adventure 48, Adventure 61, MF 55, and even MF 52 (which is in greater demand)?

Thanks,

Carl

Movies can certainly bring new interest to a character but I don't believe the masses are suddenly compelled to spend 5 figs on a golden age book. There is plenty of source material available online for free, or 2-3 fig more recent books if they want to procure or speculate.

I believe the increase in awareness hits existing collectors that often times have overlooked a particular issue and ignites new demand. As we know it doesn't take much new demand relative to low supply to have a dramatic upward price pressure

I partially agree, and would value your input on this thought - I believe that, yes, GA collectors start to value the book more as it comes into their awareness as an overlooked book - BUT I also believe that when a movie is announced dealers become aware that GA collectors will be more aware of the book, and that puts notable demand on books with very low supply.

That's why I think movies make a big impact on prices.

anything that creates new demand or interest generally translates into higher prices...

that said, when there are only 2 or 3 or 4 copies of a particular "movie" book available in the marketplace, the pricing is more a result of existing collector demand now focusing on what is probably a previously undervalued issue, rather than the actual "movie" driving the price...

perfect example is All Star 8...about 3 years ago (before any movie announcement, but amidst of all the record GA key sales), I starting quietly buying all the AS 8's I could ...and in 2 years , I could only accumulate 9 copies...there just aren't enough to go around...I started getting big premiums to previous prices, again, long before any movie announcement or speculation... maybe the movie interest helped fuel the fire, but it didn't drive it

Hey G.A.tor

Given the current market, what book do you think is more valuable (i.e. If the books had the exact same grade, page quality and general appearance): blue label Tec 28 or blue label Tec 35?

These days 35 has surpassed 28 both in demand and price.

Hey G.A.tor

Given the current market, what book do you think is more valuable (i.e. If the books had the exact same grade, page quality and general appearance): blue label Tec 28 or blue label Tec 35?

These days 35 has surpassed 28 both in demand and price.

Thanks Rick. (thumbs u

How would you price a TEC 37 CGC 5.5 with moderate professional restoration? I'm trying to figure out what value to use for insurance purposes.

Thanks.

How would you price a TEC 37 CGC 5.5 with moderate professional restoration? I'm trying to figure out what value to use for insurance purposes.

Thanks.

probably 4k is approx FMv

Gator, will you be bringing some killer stuff this weekend to NelsCon? Some great comics to tempt us?
what should I bring?

DC Golden age, and perhaps a spare Amazing Man #5 :wishluck:

You have wonderful taste Bill

Thanks.

probably 4k is approx FMv

(thumbs u Thanks Rick.

Rick - who has the few high-graded Torchy #5's and who will part with one - or even a raw one?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8379070#Post8379070

One of the best copies I have ever seen was just auctioned off at Ha.com' last auction...9.0 it was super and I recommended it to the board as one of the best buys....

Edited by Mmehdy

I've never used the USA auction houses - maybe I should try.

I prefer direct buying though tbh.

Do you have scan so I can cry myself to sleep?

Thanks Mitch.