• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Hi Gator,

Looking forward to the Heritage Auction.

Whats your take on the fair price for:

Action #1 3.0

Cap #1 6.0

Thanks

since I am an active bidder on all 3 (including the tec 27), I will have to take the 5th and not reveal my thoughts on the books, so as not to alert anyone to my bidding strategy... :sorry:

Gator is the man! :cool:

What is the best way to store golden age (or any) comics that are too thick/big to be slabbed ?
I use the Steve Carey method...I mylar them with full backer board, then house inside a magazine mylar...works great and looks great!

(thumbs u

Yes, I did that for years with my Master Comics 23, a very rare book. It was a bit too big for a Golden Age Mylar and, in addition it had a slight tear on the front edge that would likely rip off if placed in a Golden Age Mylar However, I had the book slabbed last year at the SDCC so now I have nothing to worry about!

Edited by Stevenrams

Recently several 5.0 tec 31s have traded in the 35k range. And a 5.0 tec 29 also sold for right at 35k. I would say that is pretty even ?

Metro is Asking 50k for a 6.0 tec 29. I believe a 6.0 tec 31 could also be had for 50k.

They are pretty even today, imo

I know you're not going to concede but we've seen several 31s and 29s in lower grades sell at auction and Tec 31 has won out every time. Metro asking and selling are two different things and I bet a Tec 31 6.0 would sell faster.

I know you're not going to concede but we've seen several 31s and 29s in lower grades sell at auction and Tec 31 has won out every time. Metro asking and selling are two different things and I bet a Tec 31 6.0 would sell faster.

There are more tec 31s that sell, absolutely (more supply and with that comes more demand) My guess is I have bought and sold as many if not more tec 31 and 29s than anyone in the past 7 years... Recently a tec 29 4.5 sold at auction for about 20k but then resold at 26k. Recently a tec 31 sold at 26k in the 4.5 range.

Comparable copies are, IMO, valued about the same.

The question posed was 5.0 and since there are sales of both in the very recent past at 35k I believe I answered the question empirically as well (thumbs u

Just thought of another example. A 2.0 tec 29 sold at 14k+ and at the same time a 2.5 tec 31 sold at 12500 (I believe sb pq affected price) but likely comparable

The 2.5 had slightly brittle pages though which always affects value no matter the book.
Agreed. I already acknowledged that in my post. But even if it affected it 10-20% it still fell under a comparable sale of a 29 in lessor grade

Bottom line is there appear to be a lot more 31s that trade hands. There is a larger sampling of sales across more grades

Tec 29 is rarer. I personally love 31 just like 29 better overall. But apples to apples I believe 29 to be a far superior book yet I realistically value them the same due to market demand relative to supply on 31 (thumbs u

The Tec 31 4.0 recently sold for $26K along with the Tec 29 4.5 a notch about $20K. I wasn't aware of the Tec 29 4.5 reselling again for $26K. If the Tec 31 4.0 resale again, it may sell for a higher price too. I understand 29 is rarer than 31, but the demand of 31 is much more...at least from what I see.

sometimes hard to read on the phone and want to type out good responses, but I got to thinking about this...it is not that I won't admit it, it is that I believe this statement to be false...

in fact, the only example off the top of my head (keep in mind, talking about comparable grades at comparable times) I can find of a 29 selling for less than a 31 was the dark knight 4.5 that sold for considerably less than his 4.0...

the 4.0 was visibly a superior copy and the 29 was in some folks opinion, not near as visibly nice for the grade... but outside of that, I can't think of a single other example to support your statement (though I have to admit I might be missing some, but I can't recall them)

even going back a few years, I paid more for my 29 cgc 3.5 than I did for the 4.0 tec 31 I bought at the same time...I already gave the other example of the 2.0 #29 selling for more than a 31 in 2.5 (pq and all)...

when the 29 cgc 5.0 sold for 25K on CC, heritage sold the 5.5 31 for just 10% more (comparable)...

I have pretty much always sold copies at comparable rates (I have sold 25 tec 31's and 12 tec 29's, some the same book mulitple times)... so I would say apples to apples, tec 29 in most cases (not all) will sell for the same or :gulp: even more than a 31 :o

but of course, the market changes fast sometimes, so your milage with vary

The Tec 31 4.0 recently sold for $26K along with the Tec 29 4.5 a notch about $20K. I wasn't aware of the Tec 29 4.5 reselling again for $26K. If the Tec 31 4.0 resale again, it may sell for a higher price too. I understand 29 is rarer than 31, but the demand of 31 is much more...at least from what I see.

again, sometimes you have to look beyond the "numbers"...that 4.0 was a GREAT looking copy...presented much better than the 4.5 #29...I would expect that to sell for more...

and yes, there is more supply so there is more relative demand for tec 31...do I think the 4.0 tec 31 would sell for more than 26K today, probably not...it only sold a few months ago and I believe realized full market value... the 29 performed weakly, but rebounded in a private sale...

however, if tec 29 came up for auction more often (it rarely does), I think one would see that its legs are every bit as strong as 31...

31 is considered the more iconic cover by many, but in a poll ran on these boards not too long ago, tec 29 got the nod over 31 in terms of "desirablility"... if memory serves me...

don't get me wrong, I love them both!... but tec 29 real worlds, sells for every bit as much as 31 does (thumbs u

again, sometimes you have to look beyond the "numbers"...that 4.0 was a GREAT looking copy...presented much better than the 4.5 #29...I would expect that to sell for more...

and yes, there is more supply so there is more relative demand for tec 31...do I think the 4.0 tec 31 would sell for more than 26K today, probably not...it only sold a few months ago and I believe realized full market value... the 29 performed weakly, but rebounded in a private sale...

however, if tec 29 came up for auction more often (it rarely does), I think one would see that its legs are every bit as strong as 31...

31 is considered the more iconic cover by many, but in a poll ran on these boards not too long ago, tec 29 got the nod over 31 in terms of "desirablility"... if memory serves me...

don't get me wrong, I love them both!... but tec 29 real worlds, sells for every bit as much as 31 does (thumbs u

:luhv: In perspective, once more multiples sales shall occur for 29 or 31, the jury is still out there. If Tec 29 is not rarer than 31....then, 31 will win. Time will tell, I guess.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Didn't the Tec 29 5.0 just sell for 32.5K on CL? Pretty much the same hammer price from earlier in the year (31K). Tec 31 would have sold for more (based on recent sales you cited I would say in the 35K - 40K range). And didn't a Tec 31 3.0 sell for a buy it now of 20K a few months ago on ebay (Nov. 2011) - the same price the Tec 29 4.5 sold for? Those numbers contradict your data points and point to Tec 31 selling for more than Tec 29.

There have been sales of both books higher and lower. I never said there wasnt. Anyone can make a point picking out single examples but if you look at the big picture it can tell a different tale.... And I know the books are worth approx the same in similar conditions.

Within the past month a tec 31 has sold for 35k in cgc 5.0 and a comparable looking 29 also sold for 35k. See, I took one sale and made my point (thumbs u

There shouldnt be any dispute that 29 is much rarer than 31. My guess is there is 40-50% more 31s on the market than 29s

There have been sales of both books higher and lower. I never said there wasnt. Anyone can make a point picking out single examples but if you look at the big picture it can tell a different tale.... And I know the books are worth approx the same in similar conditions.

Within the past month a tec 31 has sold for 35k in cgc 5.0 and a comparable looking 29 also sold for 35k. See, I took one sale and made my point (thumbs u

There shouldnt be any dispute that 29 is much rarer than 31. My guess is there is 40-50% more 31s on the market than 29s

I missed this one, was it private or public? This had to have been a boardie's. hm