• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

To everyone that voted no to disclosure I ask why ?

Why not disclose ? (forget moderns anything on ebay as RMA pointed out in another thread) but why not disclose high grade comics on here ?

This is eerily reminiscent of a boardie, who has since fallen to disrepute, and his notion of different grading standards for eBay.

??? I'm referring to pressing. I say yes to disclosure for pressing but I do understand not disclosing on ebay for some sellers not disclosing because of the amount of uneducated people out there that will be asking stupid questions.

Anyways. Why not full disclosure on here ? for everything ? Most people on here know what pressing is by now.

You know what is amazing? The problems go away if you assume that people who care are going to ask. And then you tell the truth. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

You know what is even more amazing?

The problems and the PMs go away if you simply pro-actively and truthfully disclose.

Which is why I completely support it on here. SS was talking about the problems of putting a proactive statement on Ebay. Before he was backhandedly pilloried by comicwiz, whose ability to be holier than thou could likely be classified as a Superior mutation.

lol

(thumbs u

Yeah, I'm trying to restrict it to how we play it here. It's this 'community' thing I'm spinning around on. In a community, you do things that you personally don't necessarily see the point of...but you know that a number of others do.

Why not disclose ? (forget moderns anything on ebay as RMA pointed out in another thread) but why not disclose high grade comics on here ?

This is eerily reminiscent of a boardie, who has since fallen to disrepute, and his notion of different grading standards for eBay.

??? I'm referring to pressing. I say yes to disclosure for pressing but I do understand not disclosing on ebay for some sellers not disclosing because of the amount of uneducated people out there that will be asking stupid questions.

Anyways. Why not full disclosure on here ? for everything ? Most people on here know what pressing is by now.

You know what is amazing? The problems go away if you assume that people who care are going to ask. And then you tell the truth. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

The problems and the PMs go away if you simply pro-actively and truthfully disclose.

Which is why I completely support it on here. SS was talking about the problems of putting a proactive statement on Ebay. Before he was backhandedly pilloried by comicwiz, whose ability to be holier than thou could likely be classified as a Superior mutation.

There is no allowed on the CGC boards....

See...?

Oddly enough, homos are perfectly acceptable....

'community'

:roflmao:

Just because you've never been part of one don't dismiss the whole idea out of hand.

Smarter than the average eBay user...but not by much.

You are getting better though.

Here's a note: if you truely believe in Disclosure, feel free to buy something from a person who actively Discloses, thereby supporting the person who is doing the right thing.

Nothing that irks me more then reading a comment about "supporting someone who doesn't Press books" while they completely bypass a "known presser's books" even if they are offering Unpressed material.

To me, it seems that many folks use Disclosure as a form of Scarlet Letter a seller has to wear, regardless of whether the said seller offers Pressed books or those that are completely untouched.

Put your money where your mouth is, and all that.

So a presser should only display openness and honesty if anti-pressers are buying his books? meh

Really, is THAT what you got out of my statement? :eyeroll:

There wasn't much else to get. :baiting:

Seriously, George, what you're saying is we must support people who are being honest and open by buying their books, because that's their reward.

Support of people who practice Disclosure goes hand-in-hand with saying you support Disclosure. If you support the idea that comics should be "graded tightly", you buy from a dealer that you know that "grades tight", right? What's the point of ordering books from a known terrible grader as it 1). insures you are going to be dissatisfied with your order and 2). keeps a guy in business who can't grade to save his life.

Which is a wrong-headed way of looking at things. Being honest and open is surely its own reward?

Yes, it is. But saying you support Disclosure, and then not actually supporting those Sellers who Disclose is the worst sort of hypocrisy IMO. It reminds me of the people that complain about the quality of their kids schools, but never invest a single second in volunteering there or becoming a part of the PTA. Or worse, the folks who engage in hours of tireless political debates and bemoan the current state of their governments, but never even bother to register to vote, much less, actually let their voice be heard on Election Day.

I get what you're saying about avoiding people who press...no matter that the book in question is declared to be 'unmanipulated'...but in truth, very little of this happens. And half the time when it does happen it's because there's distrust of that statement. Why? Not necessarily because that person has given any reason to distrust them, but because of the actions of other pressers./quote]

Isn't that then reason enough to support the folks who actively Disclose even more?

Like the guy who has been selling pressed books without disclosure for three years in the Marketplace. I'd think that even the pressers and the pro-pressers would like to get rid of that sort of conduct, as it then levels the playing field and makes the whole place entirely transparent.

Nick, after several years, and several thousand Pressing threads, the only conclusion that has ever been agreed upon is that Disclosure is the best course of action. There will never be a "level" playing field in my opinion. There will always be a significant percentage of books that sell without Disclosure, which, again, is all the more reason to support those people that do Disclose.

rantrant

'community'

:roflmao:

Just because you've never been part of one don't dismiss the whole idea out of hand.

Smarter than the average eBay user...but not by much.

You are getting better though.

I could never be 1/100th the genius you think you are....

:luhv:

??? I'm referring to pressing. I say yes to disclosure for pressing, but I do understand not disclosing on ebay because of the amount of uneducated people out there that will be asking stupid questions.

Who is this boardie by the way ? and what exactly does that mean ?

If sellers don't like being asked the questions, don't sell. Disclosing pressing as a technique to improve the book is a reality, and there is no reason to keep anyone in the dark about it. It's one thing when you don't have the ability to grade, or lack the writing ability to explain it in layman terms and another thing when you do know how to grade, are able to write digests online, but decide you feel like treating eBay as a dumping ground, and its buyers, a bunch of reprobates. Placing conditions on where and who you should disclose goes contrary to the whole notion of disclosure (whether that be grading, restoration, pressing, or hidden defects not observable in a scan), and despite what RMA said, I disagree.

Full disclosure, or none at all. There are no in-betweens.

Let's forget this nonsense of not needing to disclose for post-80's comics and the shots against me - what are you implying? In plain language. Are you good with not disclosing on eBay?

In case anyone doesn't think this happens.....

..... I saw a slabbed book for sale in a sales thread not long ago, no mention of pressing history. I asked in the thread if that specific book was pressed or not but the seller was offline at the time and it was some time later when he replied that it wasn't pressed. In the meantime, someone had come along and just bought it.

So, yes I do ask if books have been pressed but I absolutely believe that they should be proactively disclosed. I would buy an unpressed book from someone with pressed books if they were proactively disclosing. Heck, I've been keeping an eye on Jive Turkey's sales thread for anything that I'm looking for. However, I avoid buying from those that I'm sure do press books but don't disclose.

I would buy an unpressed book from someone with pressed books if they were proactively disclosing. Heck, I've been keeping an eye on Jive Turkey's sales thread for anything that I'm looking for. However, I avoid buying from those that I'm sure do press books but don't disclose.

+1 (thumbs u

Let's forget this nonsense of not needing to disclose for post-80's comics and the shots against me - what are you implying? In plain language. Are you good with not disclosing on eBay?

First off, I have never sold a comic on Ebay. But if I did, I would not put a pressing disclosure in an Ebay listing. I would tell anyone that asks me about the book everything I knew about the book.

When I sell here, I try to put whatever I know about the books in the description, proactively. Because so many here have made it clear that pressing makes a difference to them. But I know that I have listed books that I didn't put anything because I either didn't know one way or the other or I just flat out neglected to do so.

I firmly believe that anyone purchasing comics that has any concerns about the book, its history, pedigree, whether it has been pressed or owned by Richie Evans at some point, or whatever should ask the questions that they want answered. And they should base their buying decisions upon those answers and the level of trust that they have in the answering party.