• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Books Versus Universal Books - Points Awarded

Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?

125 posts in this topic

The part I disagree on is that SS books are perceived as being better than Universal books. By the people that collect them they are, and by the points awarded in the registry CGC obviously regard them as being better as well.

Gav,

I have given you nothing but smartazz answers so far, mostly because I am in the camp that nearly always considers a Yellow label book superior to an otherwise identical Blue label. Purely from a pragmatic and common sense standpoint, a large part of the reason why Yellows are more points is quite likely because the Registry is a CGC marketing tool and the yellow label is promoted by encouraging people to get books Yellow slabbed. It's merely another way for CGC to promote the program, and to increase subs.

The part I disagree on is that SS books are perceived as being better than Universal books. By the people that collect them they are, and by the points awarded in the registry CGC obviously regard them as being better as well.

Gav,

I have given you nothing but smartazz answers so far, mostly because I am in the camp that nearly always considers a Yellow label book superior to an otherwise identical Blue label. Purely from a pragmatic and common sense standpoint, a large part of the reason why Yellows are more points is quite likely because the Registry is a CGC marketing tool and the yellow label is promoted by encouraging people to get books Yellow slabbed. It's merely another way for CGC to promote the program, and to increase subs.

I pretty much figured that to be honest Sean, I was just looking to canvas opinions of other collectors really as to how they felt towards it affecting their competitive sets. It was the registry thread that got me thinking, and if it's supposed to be competitive then it's obviously biased. I know that sounds blunt but there it is.

I am in the camp that likes SS books and Universal books equally, don't hold one in higher esteem than the other and don't really aim to compete, I just suddenly saw the registry in a different light. And with the market speaking price-wise on SS books I see that as a bit of a misnomer, only the people who buy SS books make up that market, and I would bet that there are many more Universal collectors out there that make up a whole different market that wouldn't pay the prices that SS collectors do.

I'll drop this now, perhaps it was a stupid thread to start and an even more stupid idea to begin with.

This site needs more good, civil, discourse. This was by no means a stupid thread or a stupid idea. I do, however, reserve the right to inform you, if and when you do perpetrate stupidity upon the Boards.

This site needs more good, civil, discourse. This was by no means a stupid thread or a stupid idea.

Maybe it would have been better off in General to attract a wider scope of people reading it. I don't think many people check out this part of the Boards, or maybe a lot viewed it and couldn't even be bothered to vote :insane:

I do, however, reserve the right to inform you, if and when you do perpetrate stupidity upon the Boards.

That should be in about five minutes time or so then...

Maybe it would have been better off in General to attract a wider scope of people reading it. I don't think many people check out this part of the Boards, or maybe a lot viewed it and couldn't even be bothered to vote :insane:

Viewed it, Gav. I just knew it was going to be a tough case to make.

Especially if someone is paying the extra money for witnessed signings, I say give them the extra points. They earned it!

I don't think most people really care much about the Registry in general and points in particular. There's too much of an attitude that the Registry is some sort of fraud-fest or a means for 'moneyed' people to show off. Discussions on the Registry have been more restrained recently, but not well attended.

You mean people only look in certain sections? I look at "active topics, last 24 hours"... it is actually my homepage :D I can't imagine just looking in certain sections... How are you gonna see all the cool stuff that way (yes, there are even cool "coinee" threads)?!?!? :baiting:

I didn't actually realise that a book's value had a bearing on the points awarded. So if a pedigree fetches more money than a regular book in grade, carries the weight of provenance with it, and is more desirable than a standard Universal book (which the market has determined), why do they not get point bumps?

Obviously Sean has hit the nail on the head, but those standards to me are just ridiculous.

Forgive my ingnorance but do Pedigree books get a bump in point value as well?

Nope.

If I read the point guidelines correctly shouldn't they get a boost if the books value helps determine point value?

Yes.

So a pedigree book should get a point bump as well then.

or what Boozad said more eloquently

I personally consider them upgraded, for ME personally... BUT, you're right, it's just an opinion... so I really don't think they should score higher points for SS books.

Lloyd, my Brethren, you always demonstrate that you can see both sides of the fence on so many topics, when ycu could/should be bias. You are a true asset to the Boards. (thumbs u

I do not own a single SS Slab and not sure whether I ever will. For anything older and in high grade I think it is a shame when it gets defaced by some big signature on the cover like a high grade Avengers 1 with a Stan Lee signature.

For low grade old stuff I think signatures are kind of fun.

For moderns go ahead and get any of them signed.

I do not own a single SS Slab and not sure whether I ever will. For anything older and in high grade I think it is a shame when it gets defaced by some big signature on the cover like a high grade Avengers 1 with a Stan Lee signature.

For low grade old stuff I think signatures are kind of fun.

For moderns go ahead and get any of them signed.

Congratulations on having an opinion.

Nope.

If I read the point guidelines correctly shouldn't they get a boost if the books value helps determine point value?

Yes.

+1

Nope.

Yes.

+1

+2

I didn't see this message till now, thanks for that brother :hi:

I personally consider them upgraded, for ME personally... BUT, you're right, it's just an opinion... so I really don't think they should score higher points for SS books.

Lloyd, my Brethren, you always demonstrate that you can see both sides of the fence on so many topics, when ycu could/should be bias. You are a true asset to the Boards. (thumbs u