• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Books Versus Universal Books - Points Awarded

Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?

125 posts in this topic

I guess in a nutshell as being a fan of both blue and yellow 9.8's it's pretty simple.

For me anyway.

After you buy 20 blue 9.8's

Spend the money on cracking them getting signed / regraded & reslabbed and the time you spend waiting to receive them back again.

Then you realize that 4 or 5 of the WHAT WERE Blue CGC 9.8's are now yellow 9.6 / 9.4 and maybe even a 9.0 or 9.2 and you actually lost money on 4 or 5 books if that's the case, you would obviously expect the successful yellow signature series 9.8s that did survive the ordeal to be worth a tad more than their counterpart with no special addition to the book.

Now this is straight up for books that I collect however I could see someone's viewpoint if in case we were referring to a KEY that was very rare and they didn't like the signature as some people don't in their collection.

To them it may not be as valuable but in my run ins, those people are few and far between.

Rich

I didn't see this message till now, thanks for that brother :hi:

I personally consider them upgraded, for ME personally... BUT, you're right, it's just an opinion... so I really don't think they should score higher points for SS books.

Lloyd, my Brethren, you always demonstrate that you can see both sides of the fence on so many topics, when ycu could/should be bias. You are a true asset to the Boards. (thumbs u

:headbang:

I do not own a single SS Slab and not sure whether I ever will. For anything older and in high grade I think it is a shame when it gets defaced by some big signature on the cover like a high grade Avengers 1 with a Stan Lee signature.

For low grade old stuff I think signatures are kind of fun.

For moderns go ahead and get any of them signed.

I'm relatively new to the boards, just getting started in the CGC madness really, and from what I've seen so far I've been drawn to the SS books but I think what you say here really does ring true. With the sheer rarity of the high grade "old" books I would rather get signatures on slightly lower grades. It all seems to be personal preference however. My only Stan Lee SS was recently done on a FF 122 that came back 6.5, I picked up the book because it was a story written by Stan and I didn't have to pay a ton for it and it was still in "decent" shape.

As for the moderns, just remember one day they will be old as well so will you still feel the same way about SS on them then? (shrug)

I guess in a nutshell as being a fan of both blue and yellow 9.8's it's pretty simple.

For me anyway.

Spend the money on cracking them getting signed / regraded & reslabbed and the time you spend waiting to receive them back again.

Then you realize that 4 or 5 of the WHAT WERE Blue CGC 9.8's are now yellow 9.6 / 9.4 and maybe even a 9.0 or 9.2 and you actually lost money on 4 or 5 books if that's the case, you would obviously expect the successful yellow signature series 9.8s that did survive the ordeal to be worth a tad more than their counterpart with no special addition to the book.

Now this is straight up for books that I collect however I could see someone's viewpoint if in case we were referring to a KEY that was very rare and they didn't like the signature as some people don't in their collection.

To them it may not be as valuable but in my run ins, those people are few and far between.

Rich

This. Well said Rich. The cost of what it runs me to take a 9.8 and turn it into a 9.6 with dropped grades and whatnot I think well make up for the points that the registry gives.

The books are clearly not equal. And as anyone who has had a grade dropped from getting a SS book done will tell you, neither is the cost equal.

I feel like this is saying people that collect blue label 9.6 books should not get a points increase over 9.4 books. Signature series is a upgrade, and if someone uses it to get above someone else that only universal graded their books, they deserve the #1 spot.

Lets see the X-men complete SS set! :roflmao:

For me anyway.

Rich

This. Well said Rich. The cost of what it runs me to take a 9.8 and turn it into a 9.6 with dropped grades and whatnot I think well make up for the points that the registry gives.

The books are clearly not equal. And as anyone who has had a grade dropped from getting a SS book done will tell you, neither is the cost equal.

I feel like this is saying people that collect blue label 9.6 books should not get a points increase over 9.4 books. Signature series is a upgrade, and if someone uses it to get above someone else that only universal graded their books, they deserve the #1 spot.

Lets see the X-men complete SS set ! :roflmao:

Be careful what you wish for :devil:

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :devil: :devil:

Most of my collection is Signature Series books. That being said, it is my unpopular opinion that SS books should not be awarded any more points than their blue label counterparts. Take my SS Wings Comics #52 for example. Someone else owns a highgrade copy of it as well and prefers to keep it original. Is there really a "superior" copy? No, it just boils down to the collectors preference so why should the blue label collector be penalized in the registry? Its simply wrong.

Many prefer to keep the books in their original state and that should be equally respected in the registry.

I mainly get copper & modern age books signed.

High grade golden & silver age books already have a lot of points,so I don't need to get them sign 2c

You get books signed for the points?

Maybe they award additional points for SS designations because it also costs slightly more to grade them?

Then it would seem like we are buying points.

Maybe they award additional points for SS designations because it also costs slightly more to grade them?

Then it would seem like we are buying points.

One could argue that when you buy high grade slabs, you are in essence buying points

SS points will remain...good debate but not changing no matter how much people complain. If the SS collectors jumped on this topic they would offset those advocating the change and really would not be a smart move by CGC to make a change.