• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art to Superman #14 cover and Detective #69 cover in Nov/Dec CC auction

134 posts in this topic

So, when we say "quite high" what are we talking about? Seven figures? High six?

My guess is the reserve for the Superman 14 would immediately result in a new record price for OA.

Yeah, in my mind, that's reasonable. I think it should set the record. I guess I'd be dubious if the reserve were set to double the current record or something similar.

I think it's probably going to be something closer to the latter than the former.

A long time ago, this was for sale and I kept the scan. It's a little smaller but has lots more resolution. Hope this works-

superman14originalcover.jpg

Heres a question, what would you rather have, this or a 8.0 Action Comics 1?

A long time ago, this was for sale and I kept the scan. It's a little smaller but has lots more resolution. Hope this works-

A comic collector would rather have the Action 1. An art collector would pick the Sup 14 cover.

Definitely a 8.0 Action 1. If you dropped the grade to 5.0 or 6.0, then it comes a much tougher question.

The values are skewed. If t were a lottery prize, I'd take the Action #1 8.0, just because I could sell that and probably still buy this cover (assuming a high, but not insane, reserve)

Value aside, I'd rather have this cover.

The values are skewed. If t were a lottery prize, I'd take the Action #1 8.0, just because I could sell that and probably still buy this cover (assuming a high, but not insane, reserve)

I'm still in awe that something like this still exists. So lets say this went cover for 1/2 million dollars. What grade, unrestored copy of Action Comics 1 could you get that?

I'm still in awe that something like this still exists. So lets say this went cover for 1/2 million dollars. What grade, unrestored copy of Action Comics 1 could you get that?

Someplace in the 6.0 - 7.0 range would probably do it.

for 500K, you might can get a 5.5 if there was one available, but my guess is 5.0 that just sold is about the best 500k (or less) could buy...6.0 and above are 600K and above these days (thumbs u

Someplace in the 6.0 - 7.0 range would probably do it.

no chance, I am sorry to say...5.0, maybe a 5.5 if there was one (thumbs u

There is no monetary comparison real or imaginary that would compel me to take an Action 1 over this cover. Just no way.

That said... I hope some museums get involved in this bidding, for a permanent exhibit. Any valuation based on top-end OA prices would be an absolute steal from that perspective, I'd think.

There is no monetary comparison real or imaginary that would compel me to take an Action 1 over this cover. Just no way.

That said... I hope some museums get involved in this bidding, for a permanent exhibit. Any valuation based on top-end OA prices would be an absolute steal from that perspective, I'd think.

I would have to agree. How could you pick a copy of a mere comic book (high grade or otherwise), over the Superman # 14 cover. It would just seem wrong.

(thumbs u

I'd also take this over the Action #7 or 10 covers.

The most iconic non-key cover ever.

(thumbs u

I'd also take this over the Action #7 or 10 covers.

The most iconic non-key cover ever.

no secret I love me some supes 14...had Ryan H paint me a cover...but I also had him to action 7 :cloud9:

I would have to agree. How could you pick a copy of a mere comic book (high grade or otherwise), over the Superman # 14 cover. It would just seem wrong.

If original art had generally been created in color then there would be even greater demand for OA then there is. I agree with Crowzilla that it is the most iconic piece of non-key OA but there are still many who don't collect much in the way of OA because of the color aspect. This particular cover definitely improves in appeal as it was printed because of the patriotic color scheme that is missing from the all b&w original.

If original art had generally been created in color then there would be even greater demand for OA then there is. I agree with Crowzilla that it is the most iconic piece of non-key OA but there are still many who don't collect much in the way of OA because of the color aspect. This particular cover definitely improves in appeal as it was printed because of the patriotic color scheme that is missing from the all b&w original.

I believe that the winner bidder will also receive the appropriate crayons if they wish to color the art.

lol

seriously though that's me in a nutshell. I like art but find it difficult to part with much money for B&W line art. Not that I'm in the market for this piece, but its not hard to imagine people with deeper pockets than mine perhaps feeling the same way.