• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art to Superman #14 cover and Detective #69 cover in Nov/Dec CC auction

134 posts in this topic

I know condition "doesn't matter" and shouldn't really affect the ending price but I do find the condition disappointing on this Supe #14 cover. IIRC jerry's comics were cream/tan/brittle and this cover looks to be brittle at the edges too. Should restore nicely but right now the paper quality takes away from the impact, at least to this member of non-dues-paying peanut gallery

I know condition "doesn't matter" and shouldn't really affect the ending price but I do find the condition disappointing on this Supe #14 cover. IIRC jerry's comics were cream/tan/brittle and this cover looks to be brittle at the edges too. Should restore nicely but right now the paper quality takes away from the impact, at least to this member of non-dues-paying peanut gallery

I was worried about the same thing when I looked at the picture posted in this thread. Can you imagine spending a fortune on it only to have it crumble in your hands? :eek:

anyone who has seen the actual artwork, what parts are pasted on? and is the black bkgnd ink? or a stat or some kind printed piece? Because from the scans, theres no indication that the Superman logo is pasted onto the black, and only the wing and issue numbers appear to be added to the art. The tanks are painted with white paint, correct?

I can understand the concern for restoration for conservation of the art, but it is an huge responsibility on something like this. If you were the owner, would you take the risk or leave it to the prospective buyer?

I can understand the concern for restoration for conservation of the art, but it is an huge responsibility on something like this. If you were the owner, would you take the risk or leave it to the prospective buyer?

well how about not storing it on top of your furnace for 30 years? (:

yes, there's a dilemma from the seller's POV but there is also a dilemma from the buyer's POV as ciorac aptly described.

All could have been avoided easily with some minimal care of the piece.

Would you swap an Action Comics 1 for this OA cover?

action15.jpg

Nice, where is that from?

As I recall, this cover along with original art cover to Action Comics 9 hit ebay a very long time ago. I managed to save the pics.

yummy. recall what they went for?

Nope, memory is fading but they may have been pulled or auction ended early. I might have printed the details, i'll have to dig it out. I haven't seen or heard of their whereabouts since. I'm sure Steve Fishler would know.

Clem

anyone who has seen the actual artwork, what parts are pasted on? and is the black bkgnd ink? or a stat or some kind printed piece? Because from the scans, theres no indication that the Superman logo is pasted onto the black, and only the wing and issue numbers appear to be added to the art. The tanks are painted with white paint, correct?
only mocks were available in NY, so I don't think anyone outside of metro and former persepctive buyers have seen in person (shrug)

Steve, will you be selling other art from Jerry's collection? Also, do you have any of the LB Cole stuff online for viewing?

or can you even give us some broad idea of what sort of cole OA you will have for auction. published covers? how many? etc.

I guess if we were worthy of a response on this, we'd already know the answer.

Steve, will you be selling other art from Jerry's collection? Also, do you have any of the LB Cole stuff online for viewing?

or can you even give us some broad idea of what sort of cole OA you will have for auction. published covers? how many? etc.

I guess if we were worthy of a response on this, we'd already know the answer.

Right now all they have displayed are cover proofs

What other OA would be close to as iconic as Supes #14 ?

I could think of a bunch of them. I'd rather have an Action #13 for example.

Action 13. The 1st appearance of Big Train.

First appearance of Supes being "more powerful than a locomotive."

What other OA would be close to as iconic as Supes #14 ?

I could think of a bunch of them. I'd rather have an Action #13 for example.

Action 13. The 1st appearance of Big Train.

I think joe made a funny hehe