• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few words about a great forumite.

154 posts in this topic

I know I rarely post anything of a substantial nature around here and that's by design. However, this is going to be one of those times where I'm as serious as I can get.

I have known Joey for about four years now. He is one of my oldest and closest friends I have met through the boards. Hell, he's family at this point. I have trusted him with my time, money, safety, health and personal concerns. We've shared highs and lows. Is he perfect? No, but who is? If he makes a mistake, he makes it right. When I think about all we have experienced together, I can't help but laugh to myself when someone expresses concern over trusting him with their comic books. I'd trust him with my life.

Am I gushing? Yeah, probably. Am I biased? More than likely. Am I right? You bet. I hope Joey's reading this and I hope I make him cry. Hey, I deserve to get something out of this as well. lol

:cry:

:sick:

What was the reason he was kicked out?

If he's willing to disclose any work done to books that he is selling then he should be fine, so obviously he wasn't kicked out for that...if it's because he offers the service and they feel it creates a conflict of interest then that is not fair at all...if it's because they want him to provide a list of all books and CGC cert #'s of books he presses then THAT is wrong, as it would violate any confidentiality held between himself and his clientele.

Super nice guy, great service.

Not sure of the dynamics behind the decision but I have heard through the grapevine that Marnin had a hissy fit when I went public with my pressing. It was called the "joeypost" rule where I needed to be incorporated, had to disclose on ebay or whatever venue I sold book in. The part I did not agree with was a list of all the books I worked on and customers. NO ONE is ever going to do that.

I cannot remember if I stepped down or was removed first. It is all rather hazy but the end result was the same. The NOD at the time basically kicked out one of the few pro-pressers that actively disclosed.

What was the old expression; "A house divided against itself cannot stand". NOD no longer exists and I see CBCA is making strides in the right direction. Getting rid of Mr. Rosenberg was paramount for any future success. I for one am glad to see they took this step.

I wonder if Marnin disclosed when he pressed books hm

interesting hypothesis (shrug)

If he's willing to disclose any work done to books that he is selling then he should be fine, so obviously he wasn't kicked out for that...if it's because he offers the service and they feel it creates a conflict of interest then that is not fair at all...if it's because they want him to provide a list of all books and CGC cert #'s of books he presses then THAT is wrong, as it would violate any confidentiality held between himself and his clientele.

Not sure of the dynamics behind the decision but I have heard through the grapevine that Marnin had a hissy fit when I went public with my pressing. It was called the "joeypost" rule where I needed to be incorporated, had to disclose on ebay or whatever venue I sold book in. The part I did not agree with was a list of all the books I worked on and customers. NO ONE is ever going to do that.

I cannot remember if I stepped down or was removed first. It is all rather hazy but the end result was the same. The NOD at the time basically kicked out one of the few pro-pressers that actively disclosed.

What was the old expression; "A house divided against itself cannot stand". NOD no longer exists and I see CBCA is making strides in the right direction. Getting rid of Mr. Rosenberg was paramount for any future success. I for one am glad to see they took this step.

I wonder if Marnin disclosed when he pressed books hm

interesting hypothesis (shrug)

This was also around the time Brent came public with his pressing business.

You withdrew from the organization. It was akin to resigning before being fired. I remember the email.

Wow. I'd never heard of this side of NOD. Who's bright idea (or was it a committee decision) to give Marnin McCarthyism a revival?

There are conflicting accounts. That was one of two opportunities missed by NOD. Anyway, that's water under the bridge. Genie... bottle... at this point.

NOD is gone and the CBCA has done its best to correct missteps of the past. I like and respect Joey, and have told him that I agree the situation was handled poorly.

Essentially, a few members were concerned a presser among the NOD membership would cause a PR disaster, so a rule was implemented making it very difficult to be a presser and a NOD member... basically forcing Joey out. At the time, the membership was split on this rule and it was very contentious.

The past is the past. The CBCA is a different organization with a different leadership who are focused on a positive mission.

:hi:

NOD is gone and the CBCA has done its best to correct missteps of the past. I like and respect Joey, and have told him that I agree the situation was handled poorly.

Essentially, a few members were concerned a presser among the NOD membership would cause a PR disaster, so a rule was implemented making it very difficult to be a presser and a NOD member... basically forcing Joey out. At the time, the membership was split on this rule and it was very contentious.

The past is the past. The CBCA is a different organization with a different leadership who are focused on a positive mission.

:hi:

Well said Steve!

He's as elusive as the missing link when your trying to find him at a con

DR.X

Fortunately, the fact that he is as hairy as the Missing Link makes him easy to spot.

Thanks...I think.

WTF does CBCA stand for? (shrug)

Comic Book Collecting Association

What do they do?

What are trying to do? It's hard enough to answer these questions legitimately. Even more so when you are the one asking the questions.

What do they do?

Support comic book collectors, and eat babies last I checked.

If you can't be an athlete, then been an athletic support kind of mentality, eh?

What do they do?

What are trying to do? It's hard enough to answer these questions legitimately. Even more so when you are the one asking the questions.

:roflmao:

What do they do?

Dude. I'm serious. I thought there was still a NOD. Now I learn that there is no NOD.

I'm just curious. :frustrated:

What do they do?

Dude. I'm serious. I thought there was still a NOD. Now I learn that there is no NOD.

In a nutshell, NOD lite or a kinder, gentler NOD. I'm sure I'll be taken to task for that bare bones of a rendering.

What do they do?

Yeah, but you also thought NOD was Nudes on Display so . . .