• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do We Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure In The Marketplace?

How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure

513 posts in this topic

I hate to say this, Nick, because I do, and will continue to disclose anything I know...but I can't vote for those options...

There was a reason I didn't want to start a poll, it's very difficult.

I don't want to see blacklists, I'm not McCarthy...and I don't think we can derive enough information from a few posts in the marketplace to put people on lists.

I'd prefer an option where we ask for some suggested statements to be included in the rules.

Sha, I included all of the suggestions to cover all the possible stances on the issue...from militant to middle-ground.

You don't like lists but do like incorporation in the rules? That's fine...just vote that way. (thumbs u

Your poll covers all possible stances? I honestly love you, man, but :roflmao:

I hate to say this, Nick, because I do, and will continue to disclose anything I know...but I can't vote for those options...

I don't want to see blacklists, I'm not McCarthy...and I don't think we can derive enough information from a few posts in the marketplace to put people on lists.

I'd prefer an option where we ask for some suggested statements to be included in the rules.

Sha, I included all of the suggestions to cover all the possible stances on the issue...from militant to middle-ground.

You don't like lists but do like incorporation in the rules? That's fine...just vote that way. (thumbs u

Your poll covers all possible stances? I honestly love you, man, but :roflmao:

+1...I'm not exactly sure it's possible to cover all stances without more options and I'm personally not really comfortable with the wording on any of these.

(oh, the +1 was because I honestly love you man;)

OK, we're done with the question of whether we want it...the results are unarguable...so the question is...by what method do we achieve it?

No, they weren't. You specifically asked whether marketplace sellers should be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing, not whether we should force them to do so.

I voted yes in the previous poll - and you know my stance on pressing - but pretending this new poll is something other than you trying to brand pressed books or people who press with a scarlet letter in the marketplace is down-right insulting.

OK, we're done with the question of whether we want it...the results are unarguable...so the question is...by what method do we achieve it?

No, they weren't. You specifically asked whether marketplace sellers should be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing, not whether we should force them to do so.

I voted yes in the previous poll - and you know my stance on pressing - but pretending this new poll is something other than you trying to brand pressed books or people who press with a scarlet letter in the marketplace is down-right insulting.

(worship)

bingo_card_chips.jpg

I think it's just that some people are paranoid about pressing books. That leads them to think that if they disclose, or if the marketplace asks for disclosure and they don't, that they will lose sales or get lower prices. You can't have it both ways. The market can't care about pressing and not care about it at the same time. If they don't care about whether it's pressed, then stating "I don't know" won't affect anything. If they do care, stating "I don't know" puts them in exactly the same place they were before: no added information.

I think it's just that some people are paranoid about pressing books. That leads them to think that if they disclose, or if the marketplace asks for disclosure and they don't, that they will lose sales or get lower prices. You can't have it both ways. The market can't care about pressing and not care about it at the same time. If they don't care about whether it's pressed, then stating "I don't know" won't affect anything. If they do care, stating "I don't know" puts them in exactly the same place they were before: no added information.
is that some kind of lawyer double talk lol

I think you're wrong. It isn't about money. Not in this instance. It's about forced disclosure. Forced anything for that matter. There's plenty of evidence that supports even disclosed pressing can still garner market prices. It's about perception. I think we've all witnessed who will turn on a dime if they think it will cost them a nickel.

I think you're wrong. It isn't about money. Not in this instance. It's about forced disclosure. Forced anything for that matter. There's plenty of evidence that supports even disclosed pressing can still garner market prices. It's about perception. I think we've all witnessed who will turn on a dime if they think it will cost them a nickel.
There are many things you are forced to do to sell in the marketplace here. See those rules at the top. I'm with Nick. The community has spoken that they want proactive disclosure. That's no different than asking that book be listed with a set price and shipping costs or that a grade or picture be provided.

There are many things you are forced to do to sell in the marketplace here. See those rules at the top. I'm with Nick. The community has spoken that they want proactive disclosure. That's no different than asking that book be listed with a set price and shipping costs or that a grade or picture be provided.

It's very different. A price, a scan and a grade are necessary for doing business. Those things have a legitimate need to be there. Mandatory disclosure is motivated purely by personal preference. The community thought disclosure should be "expected" not something that should rammed down their throat with a spoonful of sugar.

I wonder how many of those 260 votes were by IDs with 10 posts or less. hm

Guess we'll never know. (shrug)

Or how many have even ever purchased, sold or even have a valid interest in the marketplace. Of course, I'm sure we will be told that it isn't relevant.

I agree.

That's why everyone that makes a vote should also make a post in the respective thread regarding their reasoning for their vote. Anything short of that is not representative of a community, it's just an anonymous poll.

It's very different. A price, a scan and a grade are necessary for doing business. Those things have a legitimate need to be there. Mandatory disclosure is motivated purely by personal preference. The community thought disclosure should be "expected" not something that should rammed down their throat with a spoonful of sugar.

I don't think I even got the spoonful of sugar. :(

Or how many have even ever purchased, sold or even have a valid interest in the marketplace. Of course, I'm sure we will be told that it isn't relevant.

I agree.

That's why everyone that makes a vote should also make a post in the respective thread regarding their reasoning for their vote. Anything short of that is not representative of a community, it's just an anonymous poll.

You realize true democracies use anonymous voting right? Is that not what they do in Canada?

Actually, no you didn't. You didn't include the "don't do anything" option. The last poll asked:

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

and 74% of those people voted yes. Yay.

This poll is not asking the same thing.

This poll is asking How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure, which is a VASTLY different poll from the first one.

The first poll is a voluntary action. We expect you to proactively disclose. You should do it, as a matter of good business practices - even though the sponsor of this board can't tell pressing and there is no consensus opinion on the action - because there is a significant section of the purchasing populace who doesn't want a pressed book, for whatever reason. That's a voluntary action, with the onus on enforcement on the collective and the seller.

The second poll is an enforcement action, with no "do nothing" option. I personally don't want any of these options - and I agree with the first poll - and I'm quite positive there's a majority of people who also do not.

I agree.

I didn't vote because "all possible stances" are not covered by it.

I agree.

You realize true democracies use anonymous voting right? Is that not what they do in Canada?
since when do canadians get to vote (shrug)

I agree.

I didn't vote because "all possible stances" are not covered by it.

Christonabike, now I'm agreeing with DiceX. Unbelievable. DiceX and Meade in the same week. Shoot me now.

Actually, no you didn't. You didn't include the "don't do anything" option. The last poll asked:

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

and 74% of those people voted yes. Yay.

This poll is not asking the same thing.

This poll is asking How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure, which is a VASTLY different poll from the first one.

The first poll is a voluntary action. We expect you to proactively disclose. You should do it, as a matter of good business practices - even though the sponsor of this board can't tell pressing and there is no consensus opinion on the action - because there is a significant section of the purchasing populace who doesn't want a pressed book, for whatever reason. That's a voluntary action, with the onus on enforcement on the collective and the seller.

The second poll is an enforcement action, with no "do nothing" option. I personally don't want any of these options - and I agree with the first poll - and I'm quite positive there's a majority of people who also do not.

That makes twice in my life I've agreed with you.

I have no idea why I love you so much. :luhv: