• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That was quick

15 posts in this topic

Just to clarify, the book sold in the Aug CLink Featured auction for $3766. That's why I found it odd it would pop up so soon
will hit at least 3500 this time :o

I'm astounded that gets a 9.6 with a bindery chip you could see a football field away. (shrug) I realize CGC is soft on these, but in the old days, grading and selling raw, I never would have accepted this as a NM+.

I've seen a Church copy (pretty sure it was an issue of Adventure) in 9.6 with the same defect. Maybe CGC determined the tear was due to the production process, who knows (shrug)

I'm astounded that gets a 9.6 with a bindery chip you could see a football field away. (shrug) I realize CGC is soft on these, but in the old days, grading and selling raw, I never would have accepted this as a NM+.

Agreed. And with corners as rounded as can be. (tsk)

I've seen a Church copy (pretty sure it was an issue of Adventure) in 9.6 with the same defect. Maybe CGC determined the tear was due to the production process, who knows (shrug)

If it's a tear or chip due to binding during the printing process it counts off little in CGC's grading process. In pre-CGC days some would knock off for that more than CGC would but some would be consistent with CGC's approach where production defects are accorded more leniency than handling errors.

Agreed. And with corners as rounded as can be. (tsk)

Yeah, I did zoom in and notice those too. (shrug)

This is my former copy that has a similar chip. I assume it happened during the printing process. The rest of the book was quite lovely. Any spots or scratches you see are on the case, not the book. It only garnered a 9.0 though

milehighyank1.jpg

I'm not sure that's a production defect. A bindery tear or chip is usually right at the spine of the book. (Lovely copy, btw :cloud9: )

This is my former copy that has a similar chip. I assume it happened during the printing process. The rest of the book was quite lovely. Any spots or scratches you see are on the case, not the book. It only garnered a 9.0 though

milehighyank1.jpg

I love that book Bill :luhv:

fightingyank1.jpg

If it's a tear or chip due to binding during the printing process it counts off little in CGC's grading process. In pre-CGC days some would knock off for that more than CGC would but some would be consistent with CGC's approach where production defects are accorded more leniency than handling errors.

It's insanity. There's no way that book is a 9.6. :screwy: