• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk #4 w/ Kirby and Lee sigs - advice?

18 posts in this topic

I'm a noob to the area, but wanted to know if there is a service for documenting/verifying signatures that are unwitnessed. I know it won't qualify for the CGC SS, but I thought it is unique for having both sigs. looks like signed on different occasions.

if there's a thread that'll answer this for me, please point me in the direction. (thumbs u

thanks!

Dscf6201.jpg

Dscf6200.jpg

PSA and James Spence Authenticators. I don't know how much either one of them does in the realm of comic industry autographs but both do celebrity and sports figures signature authentication. James Spence (also known as JSA) will typically give a COA, PSA typically slabs stuff but I don't know if they have a container for comics, can't recall ever seeing one. These two are what Heritage auctions typically use (or requests) for most of its authentication before it puts something up as an authentic signature.

I would REALLY LOVE to see CGC take on a similar role in the comic industry. I don't know maybe an orange label, signifying the signature had been compared to a file image known to be authentic of the person. It would be more money for them (an extra fee for verification on top of the grading of the book) and avoid the dreaded green label. I have a long box full of comics I have had autographed by artists over the years before CGC existed, and at least one I know is no longer with us that I believe may have passed away before CGC SS began so the only way I'm going to have his signature CGC'd currently is a green label (I think).

Really I can't imagine a service that will authenticate a signature after the fact such as this.

No matter how spot on the signature looks (I'm not doubting the authenticity of your signatures) it would be impossible to say 100% that they were real without someone witnessing the signatures at the time of. It's not like they could inspect it with a loupe like a diamond or something. Just my thoughts...

With that being said, I don't think anyone would argue that those are fake.

Beautiful book (worship)

Really I can't imagine a service that will authenticate a signature after the fact such as this.

No matter how spot on the signature looks (I'm not doubting the authenticity of your signatures) it would be impossible to say 100% that they were real without someone witnessing the signatures at the time of. It's not like they could inspect it with a loupe like a diamond or something. Just my thoughts...

With that being said, I don't think anyone would argue that those are fake.

Beautiful book (worship)

That's exactly what JSA and PSA do. I even have had the unfortunate pleasure of being on the receiving end of a "fake" signature certification. I had PSA authenticate a baseball that I had bought a long time ago that had supposedly been signed by Michael Jordan during his Birmingham Baron days. Turns out the signature was fake and they send you a letter going into great detail showing you why they think so. Now of course there is no way for them to be 100% correct every time. Some fakes might sneak through or maybe a real gets kicked out once in a million but when you are dealing with items like Babe Ruth baseballs, he ain't signing any new ones...

That's exactly what JSA and PSA do. I even have had the unfortunate pleasure of being on the receiving end of a "fake" signature certification. I had PSA authenticate a baseball that I had bought a long time ago that had supposedly been signed by Michael Jordan during his Birmingham Baron days. Turns out the signature was fake and they send you a letter going into great detail showing you why they think so. Now of course there is no way for them to be 100% correct every time. Some fakes might sneak through or maybe a real gets kicked out once in a million but when you are dealing with items like Babe Ruth baseballs, he ain't signing any new ones...

That's a cool concept. It's just a hard thing for me to get behind since companies like CGC have more or less become the authority of "comic book" signature verifications based on "witnessing" the signing with trusted employees.

I suppose they could perform a handwriting verification to try and determine whether or not it's legit. There are not exactly tons of Kirby signatures to compare to though. (shrug)

They also will give you an opinion on a ongoing ebay auction to let you know if it looks real or not, then you can send it in for them to really analyze it. :shrug:

That's actually pretty neat. Someone should elect Blackstarcomics for this service hm

That guy has a 5.0 Adams SS Batman 232 up for $3300. What in the hell do you think he will give me for my 9.0? $150,000? I am going to be frickin' rich! :idea:

They also will give you an opinion on a ongoing ebay auction to let you know if it looks real or not, then you can send it in for them to really analyze it. :shrug:

That's actually pretty neat. Someone should elect Blackstarcomics for this service hm

That guy has a 5.0 Adams SS Batman 232 up for $3300. What in the hell do you think he will give me for my 9.0? $150,000? I am going to be frickin' rich! :idea:

I saw that auction too. It made me wonder what I could get for this one.

batman232.jpg

JSA and PSA for Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are in my opinion a waste of money. Have seen and owned quite a few examples of both, the sigs on Hulk 4 do look genuine, however without CGC witness verification, it's unlikely to factor heavily into the value of the book, in my opinion. That doesn't mean it isn't cool to have, because it is very cool.

Bill.

Yeah, that's the thing. JSA charges different amounts for different people dependent upon popularity it seems. I would think Kirby and Lee would probably be in the $20-$40 range each. Hard to say without just asking them.

It's too bad the signatures are not on the cover, I would say get it slabbed by CGC, get the dreaded green label, and then have JSA authenticate the signatures and put their hologram on the slab. I suppose you could do it the other way around and have JSA authenticate first and then have CGC slab it but they won't include the certificate as an insert in the slab.

It's all a matter of personal preference and what you want to do to preserve the book right? Enjoy such a great piece!

If you really wanted it slabbed, having the sigs on the interior without obstructing any art means you can still get a blue label without counting the sigs as a defect. Both sigs are legible, so put on the form that the names are "Jack Kirby" and "Stan Lee" and they'll likely give it a blue label with "Jack Kirby and Stan Lee written on 1st page in ink".

Make sure you have a good picture of the sigs before slabbing. That's only if you want it slabbed, of course.

awesome Hulk with the dual sigs

here is my lone dual sigs..big kudos to Drewincanada to get Stan's sig for me recently. I only wish the book wasn't so heavily water damaged to Kirby's sig isn't as faded

sig.jpg