• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally joining the ranks....

39 posts in this topic

And my wife uses the built in Voice Recognition software all the time because she is too lazy to type. If it can figure out her country twang, than the rest of us should never have to type unless we really wanted to. But I personally prefer typing.

Doesn't sound like you've been using it or paid close attention to her. The software is an app, and you feed it your entire voice command as one long phrase...and that's the end of your voice commands. Let's say you want to use voice to send a text or email--you say (this isn't exact, I forget the exact command)--"send text to Bob hey Bob how's it going, want to hook up after work?" The Droid will screw some of that up, guaranteed, but you can't use voice to move the cursor around, you have to edit yourself. Because it's an app and not built into the Android OS as a basic I/O method, you can't do any sort of interaction with the desktop and OS. There's nothing I can think of preventing you from moving the cursor/focus around with voice commands, but you just can't.

Try using the voice...I suspect you'll give up before long. It's not "lazy" to avoid typing, it's efficient; I don't drive a car instead of a moped because I'm lazy, it's because a car is faster.

Resistance is Futile! Don't let technology leave you behind.Surfing this board while you ain't got nothing to do but sit and wait miles away from home is great! :banana:

I'm up on the technology, but I just don't see the value in paying double my ISP fees for occasional "I'm sitting in the car" usage...flipping through tunes fills that time. I specifically bought a standalone GPS for two reasons--it's a LOT faster with the maps pre-loaded and a LOT cheaper than paying a monthly fee for Internet. I'm not a Luddite and I've got the money, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for an indisputable usage for smartphones to suck me into their vortex...just haven't found it yet.

Thank God. Please let us know what you decide to do about the satellite vs. cable debate as well. Oh. And what you have for dinner also.

Sorry, I can't seem to find it with the search engine but does anyone know how to set the clock on my VCR?

I get at least 3 or 4 random calls from people with phones.

Their phones are constantly calling out numbers by accident.

Anybody else have this problem with touch screen phones?

Not if you have an iphone. Its heat sensitive not pressure.

If your phone is not iphone it is an overpriced pos.

What if it is an iPhone? Does that make it overpriced or just a pos?

yes

I don't own a cell phone or any like contraption :acclaim:

Luddite :hi:

However, I get to pay the bills on four of them for the wife and kids....., :eek:

I just got the finest cell phone $19.99 can buy..sorry no internet. Ten cents a minute straight voice service. I just had to get a phone after having an emergency and not being able to reach anyone from here. But I do have an Ipod I get internet on. I can't log in here but I can check my email and various other stuff. It is handy for checking prices on stuff on the go. I don't use it a lot.

Pocket dialing. :cloud9:

But it happens with phones with buttons (especially BBerrys when you don't lock the keyboard and put it in a sleeve), not touch screen phones.

We get a pocket-dialed call at home every couple of weeks from one of my wife's friends. It's now a game we play to listen to the call and see who can be first to identify where she is and what she's doing. Sometimes she's at home feeding the kids dinner, or arguing with her husband, or downtown shopping...

The screen locks up when not in use on the Droid X. Should not have a problem with accidental dialing. Did I mention how big the screen is on it?

It is surprisingly large for a handheld...still, no matter how big they make it, I'm having trouble scaling down my expecations from using a full monitor and keyboard. Haven't figured out uses yet that make it worth the slow input and navigation time; I'd rather wait and do what I need to do at a computer and just listen to mp3s.

If phones had enough storage to replace MP3 players, I'd own one. I was expecting the iPhone to fill this role when it first came out and am still baffled that it doesn't. I can't decide whether they think putting large solid-state drives in them makes them too expensive or Apple just doesn't want to obsolete their separate iPod product.