• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two arrested for comic book burglary

38 posts in this topic

This is when comics aren't any fun anymore. There is a statute in our little burg that makes purchasing collections by dealers (brick and mortar) illegal just because this kind of krap happened during the speculating era's (thank God no one died), but enough burglaries occurred that the locals shut down the practice.

:o Are you saying it's illegal for comic book retailers to buy comics in your town?

Correct, strange, but true. Considering it only afffects one person, the only comic store in town, the odds of them getting the statue overturned is pretty slim. During the early 90's not only were comics heavily collected, but the meth problem here was out of control which led to a inordinant amount of burglaries by meth-heads looking for quick cash. Unfortunatly, comic collections were quickly targeted by the dopers, and the statute was passed.

If you substitute "books" for "comics" then you can see a First Amendment case for why that statute would be unconstitutional, though a court-based appeal can easily be time-consuming and expensive if the city doesn't roll over when pressed.

This is when comics aren't any fun anymore. There is a statute in our little burg that makes purchasing collections by dealers (brick and mortar) illegal just because this kind of krap happened during the speculating era's (thank God no one died), but enough burglaries occurred that the locals shut down the practice.

:o Are you saying it's illegal for comic book retailers to buy comics in your town?

Correct, strange, but true. Considering it only afffects one person, the only comic store in town, the odds of them getting the statue overturned is pretty slim. During the early 90's not only were comics heavily collected, but the meth problem here was out of control which led to a inordinant amount of burglaries by meth-heads looking for quick cash. Unfortunatly, comic collections were quickly targeted by the dopers, and the statute was passed.

If you substitute "books" for "comics" then you can see a First Amendment case for why that statute would be unconstitutional, though a court-based appeal can easily be time-consuming and expensive if the city doesn't roll over when pressed.

I would imagine there is some kind of wording in that statute that allows a comic dealer to purchase a collection if he travels to the owners home (same as buying at a garage sale). If not, then how does any pawn shop operate there?

BTW, I am sure whole threads could be started with this phrase...

the city doesn't roll over when pressed

The whole scenario reminds me of that movie "Comic Book Villains"...I'm sure most of you have seen it.

Life imitating art...unknowingly.

It's a shame that people just can't go through their miserable existences and just stick to the simple notion that you shouldn't take what doesn't belong to you.

I would imagine there is some kind of wording in that statute that allows a comic dealer to purchase a collection if he travels to the owners home (same as buying at a garage sale). If not, then how does any pawn shop operate there?

You know, two pawn shops have opened here recently, spurred on by the economic woes of the general populace I would imagine, and I don't know what their policy is on buying comics. I've never read the ordinance myself, but was informed of it by the previous owner of the shop, and I never persued it with any interest considering I've never sold a comic. All I seem to do is fill my computer room with them. I rarely go into the shop here, but if I do I'll inquire what the current state is since it's been a solid ten years since this info was gleaned.

If I recall correctly, the info was posted on the door informing the public he could no longer buy due to, blah, blah, blah, and when I asked specifically he gave me the meth connection. I'm not one to generally call someone out for dishonesty, but he could have just been tired of being offered drek, but I doubt it. I think it was legit. As to how could a shop operate here without buying collections let me say this is podunk, and I'm sure huge volumes of back issues could be bought in other metropolitan areas with more than a thousand people on the census and brought here, and I assume new comics is where the money is. That and magic cards or licensed toys. I doubt much is made off back issues in this backwater.

I would image there is a mistake period. Buying and selling legal goods is the American way. The sale or possession of stolen goods would be different. I would say the statue is in said respect.

This is a very sad story. I can't believe it took me so long to hear about this seeing as how its right in my backyard. I remember when I met Rico a couple years ago and he gave me a bad feeling even then.

Even though I never met Homer, I bought a few books from his collection a few years ago and they were really nice. Coincidentally, the person who sold me those books is also the same person that introduced me to Rico. I stopped talking to him a few years ago when he stole about $50,000 worth of books from me. If there was a third person involved in the assault as mentioned as a possibility in the one article, I'd bet anything its him...

Its very sad that someone wound up losing their life over comic books. It'll be interesting to see what happens but I don't have very high hopes that justice will prevail on this one. Rochester, PD are very, very soft on crime which is probably why our crime rate is so high. Reading stories like this seriously makes me want to move...

I wonder about dealers sometimes. I mean I have seen some pretty bad deals go down over collectibles. You think "Well if he is capable of that what else is he capable of"

But it is sad the gentleman got killed for his books..basically. I think they should be charged for it even though the guy didn't have the heart attack till later..

very sad.

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_1ccb3a78-d879-11df-8a80-001cc4c03286.html

Good article with more into on the crime and the collectors businesses.

"No charges will be filed in Marciniak’s death, which could not be connected to the burglary and assault."

Really? No connection? He would have just happened to have a heart attack on that day? So sad.... :sorry:

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_1ccb3a78-d879-11df-8a80-001cc4c03286.html

"No charges will be filed in Marciniak’s death, which could not be connected to the burglary and assault."

Really? No connection? He would have just happened to have a heart attack on that day? So sad.... :sorry:

+1 I hope they at least go after the maximum sentence for the other charges...

I stopped talking to him a few years ago when he stole about $50,000 worth of books from me.

Because he fell down some stairs and broke his neck, right. Or maybe he was a victim of some tragic accident... you know, thing like that happen.

The subsequent death of the victim will be considered by the court in the sentencing on the burglary charges, at least. And just because there is no murder charge doesn't mean the family can't sue for civil damages which would entail an easier burden of proof than the criminal charges.

What a scumbag, this Rico Vendetti. If he has an ebay presence or otherwise is internet capable, be on the lookout for Irondequoit Collectibles.

And don't go to his restaurant or nightclub either!

:o

Whoa... freaky.

I actually grew up in the very next town (a scant 5mi. from Medina), spent tons of time in that area during my formative high school years. We had quite the school rivalry back in the day.

What a bizarre and sad tale to strike so close to home. :(

Another sad part to me is that I doubt the comics will be recovered and we will all soon be buying some of Homer's books as they make their way in the marketplace and none of the money is going to go to his family.

Unfortunately there is no way to connect the heart attack and the robbery/burglary, which we all know isn't a hard line to draw. Though I've seen murder charges brought up on less. My opinion is they killed the guy and deserve to have their nuts fried.

This Rico character sounds like a life long scumbag. As for the seventeen year old, he made a choice and I think it is sad that he's thrown his life away.