• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top selling indies of the Copper Age

87 posts in this topic

Loved the Adventurers. Missed out on the variant cover at the time and wouldn't pony up the cash to buy one. Worked out okay. Many, many years later I finally got one for a lot cheaper than back during the hype.

Remember Comics Values Monthly? They had Wizard pricing before there was a Wizard mag. A bunch that hot B&W # 1s stuff was going for $40-$50 a pop. lol

You put more emphasis on marketing signaling the change while others (myself included) put more emphasis on the content of the actual comic and McFarlane's Spidey (content wise) didn't signal a change from copper to modern, imo of course.

yeah, but modern of the 90's is all about marketing, hence the drek and the gimik covers. oh sure, there's some perfectly readable stuff in there, but it was almost by accident. in the 90's a lot more people starting buying comics who had no interest in reading them. basically, all the bad things about comics (well, other than undisclosed pressing, of course). not that everything was great in the 80s, there were some stinkers too.

but if you want to push it back to LOTDK as wolfgang suggests, I don't have a problem with that.

what's the shift content wise though from CA to MA? valiant might have sold a lot of books (that sat in unopened palettes for years i might add), but they didn't shift anything content-wise. the few early ones i read are well written, but nothing mind blowing or anything. after that 'twas marketing as much as anything. image books were somewhat unreadable (mostly), maybe that was a trend? when did Marvel start pumping out 1200 titles of mostly poorly written junk, was that a trend? seems like that was happening in both 1990 and 1993.

Loved the Adventurers. Missed out on the variant cover at the time and wouldn't pony up the cash to buy one. Worked out okay. Many, many years later I finally got one for a lot cheaper than back during the hype.

Remember Comics Values Monthly? They had Wizard pricing before there was a Wizard mag. A bunch that hot B&W # 1s stuff was going for $40-$50 a pop. lol

I love getting those out of the 50 cent box. I know it's due for a come back any year now!

I understand there were variants before then and LODK

I always assumed The Adventurers #1 Variant Cover came before (or very close to) Man of Steel #1 Chest Variant Cover.

01460164104.1.GIF

01460164104.1.NUDE.COVER.GIF

I want Peter Hsu SS, soooooooooooooooooooo bad.

+1 So do I.

I want Peter Hsu SS, soooooooooooooooooooo bad.

Does he not make appearances anymore?

I'd love to collect the entire Quadrant run.

I know only of 1 person who knows where Peter Hsu is.

Is that Peter Hsu, himself? :eek:

seems like that was happening in both 1990 and 1993.

There were some good marvel books being written in 1990. ASM, the Hulk and Silver Surfer were consistently good for years.

like i said, there was some readable stuff in there, but a lot of stuff rushed to market to fill rack space. not much incentive to put out a good product on a decent chunk of the titles when you know a krap series is still going to sell a few hundred thousand a month anyway, at least until it gets cancelled. i suppose everyone tries to do their best, but when you have so many titles (and DC has so many titles and valiant/image have about 40 titles between them and then there are other companies....), the talent gets spread too thin. plus, they had more words in comics back then, so it was harder for one good writer to pen 8 - 10 books a month like now where they only need 70 or 80 words a comic. :-)

elflord, samurai

I remember when these were pretty expensive books to collect, and people were trading in Silver Age books to get copies.

I went back and read some of this material, and it wasn't bad. I just wouldn't be trading in very expensive books for them.

What is it with us nutty collectors, and giving up our valuable books for the next big fad?

You put more emphasis on marketing signaling the change while others (myself included) put more emphasis on the content of the actual comic and McFarlane's Spidey (content wise) didn't signal a change from copper to modern, imo of course.
That's when Spider-Man all the sudden had his ankles behind his head in every panel.

2163007482_10e248fe23.jpg

mcfarlane.jpg

I think it's a pretty drastic change.

elflord, samurai

I remember when these were pretty expensive books to collect, and people were trading in Silver Age books to get copies.

I went back and read some of this material, and it wasn't bad. I just wouldn't be trading in very expensive books for them.

What is it with us nutty collectors, and giving up our valuable books for the next big fad?

when people complain about $3-$4 comics being a barrier to entry nowadays...but heck, not too many books hit $50 nowadays and rarely do they stay there for a week. and that was $50 in 1986 dollars, which could have gotten you a really nice copy of an early Marvel.

I have a photo of one of the walls of my shop that has a Hulk 102 with a $10 sticker, a FF 48 with a $15 sticker, a Fish Police #1 with a $15 sticker and a Justice Machine Annual with a $25 pricetag.

:gossip: Still have the Justice Machine Annual? :blush:

i too LOVE finding all these in dollar bins now, adventureers, quadrant, fish police, elflord, samurai etc etc. love em all

Quadrants?? I can and have seen the others, but never Quadrants. God bless that dollar bin, brotha!