• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Forum Members Need to Get A Life???

19 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm outa line here, but with work deadlines, Christmas around the corner, and a host of family issues to deal with, how is it possible for you hard core forum members to spend more than 5 (?) hours every day on these forums and have a life outside of CGC comics and this board?? laugh.gif

Overall, the topics are interesting 25% of the time, and worthy of following up, but 75% of the topics are generally boring & repetitive (i.e. "I got a bad deal on my Hulk #337 VF-"). If the Arch can revise this forum (I'm sure someone that's a good a programmer as FF could) to more easily allow scans to be clicked & dropped into the forum topics (a picture is worth a thousand words), this site would be more of a graphic site than a long-winded literary excersize. Point, click, a few sentences, boom. cool.gif

I think that you are looking at this the wrong way. Look at it this way, the average number of weekly hours per household spent watching all sources of TV has increased by 1.4 percent to 60.3. That comes out to over 8 hours of TV a day. So, it is not just the forum members that need to get a life....it is the rest of the average households in America that need to get one as well. Unless, of course, they are happy with what they are doing with their time.

Besides, I consider comics to be a part of my life and not a detractor from it.

Statistical proof for those that need it: Cable TV Bureau

I had to laugh when I read this post......

My life is school. It sucks. My girlfriend and I have "study dates" now. STUDY DATES. How fun is that? I work my thirty hours a week, take 15 hours at school, and doggone it, I post like a mutha. (Okay, not so much on the last one...)

BUT NEVERTHELESS!! I have a thirty page "technical manual" that's due next week... what am I doing it on? Why, GRADING COMIC BOOKS of course! More specifically, it's going to be the proper methodology for grading comic books... sort of. Really, all I'm thinking is that a few enormous close-up scans of various defects and damages to various books should eat up a few pages, right? It's due next Wednesday. This professor assigned this a week ago. The week before that, he assigned a thirty minute powerpoint presentation... that one's due tomorrow. I'm going to be talking about "Things I Could Be Doing Other Than This Damnable Powerpoint Presentation". What a this guy is... but his wife used to be some manner of editor over at Dark Horse a few years ago... and she's teaching a fiction writing workshop next semester... so I must play the game. Oh well. What the hell was I talking about? Oh yeah, I need to get a life. So yeah, Gorgo, you're right on. lol I need to get a life in the WORST way. I'd love to go see a movie one of these days!

SOunds like everyone including myself are scraping the time out of our schedules to post here. Graphics being a more important part of this forum is a good comment though, I wish I could easily paste scans of my books on here for others to see & hear their comments on, that would be more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Hey Major - if it helps to add a page or two you can use my How To Spot Restoration posts in your paper.

Fantastic! I'll see to it that you are properly credited. Yes, I really should raid the archives around here and see what I can dig up!

I've stopped watching TV about a year ago... you have no idea how much free time you all of a sudden have... mindboggling.

Good thing there are boards like these to waste that newly found free time on grin.gif

Major, sounds like a fun report for a change! At least it's not about statistical algorythyms or something like that.

You should pull the Overstreet grade definitions, and do a thesis of sorts about grade defects allowed in the range of grades based on observed CGC assessments. Might be of interest to forum members as an attachment if applicable.

BTW, you're all welcome for getting another star courtesy of Gorgo (Grogo this a.m.) - You're welcome, thank you.

Hey Khaos... if it comes down to it, just copy some extra paragraphs from one of Bugaboo's auto-posts tongue.gif

Seriously though, you should be able to put together a great bibliography and reference list, chock full of 'experts' from around the country:

There's this guy Meth, we don't really know his real name..

There's this guy who calls himself Flying Donut...

There's this guy DarthDiesel who really likes... oh to hell with it... never mind... cool.gif

Hey, can we see a copy of your comics grading technical manual? I've got web space to put it into if you don't have any of your own.

lol FF, absolutely! Yes, absolutely... provided it doesn't suck toooooo bad. wink.gif At this point, I'm going to have about one day to work on it. I love college. harharhar!