• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A gift from my Dad

17 posts in this topic

My father loves to build little bits of furniture for family - not meant to be heirloom stuff, but usable and generally tailored to the personality of the recipient. When he heard I wanted a box in which to store all my OA binders, he produced this:

49f1c6103237284.jpg

Big and tall enough to be a viewing table next to my captain's chair, with the little plastic doohickies attached to the bottom it's a cinch to slide around the floor, and while it's not designed to be lifted fully loaded, it probably is sturdy enough to handle one trip in an emergency, hence the handholds.

Really nice. I find myself enjoying my collection much more since I had a cabinet built.

I really like that.

My father loves to build little bits of furniture for family - not meant to be heirloom stuff, but usable and generally tailored to the personality of the recipient. When he heard I wanted a box in which to store all my OA binders, he produced this:

Big and tall enough to be a viewing table next to my captain's chair, with the little plastic doohickies attached to the bottom it's a cinch to slide around the floor, and while it's not designed to be lifted fully loaded, it probably is sturdy enough to handle one trip in an emergency, hence the handholds.

How much for your dad to build me one?

Just kidding, but that is great. Plus I had to respond because you mentioned my cousin ("doohickies").

Very cool! (thumbs u

By the way, what OA binders are those and what size pages? I think I need to get one of those.... :)

I use Itoya Art Profolio Multi-Ring Refillable Binders in the largest size 19"x13". They come with 11 dual-sided pages and a special wraparound sheet to hold them together within the binder. Extra bundles of pages can be purchased as well. (Unfortunately you can't order extra wraparaounds, I contacted Itoya personally about that.)

I asked Dad to build it so it was like a nicer version of using a Milk Crate on its side (we all have some of those :) ) so the side is always open.

Andrew

great design !!!!

Coup de chapeau au papa !!!!

I want one of these too ..........

How many pages can it fit ? any size ?

I currently have 11 of the aforementioned 19x13 binders in the box, with capacity for two or three more. - probably 500 pages or so capacity.

As for requests for your own cabinets, my 82-year-old father is tickled by the interest, but he takes requests only from family members. :angel:

I'd post a copy of his diagram used to plan the cabinet, but, like all the best homemade furniture schematics, it was doodled on a post-it note and is already lost to history. :eyeroll:

I'd be happy to copy the measurements of the box for anyone whose truly interested.

Just my 2c If anyone is serious about having cabinets made for their collections, I'd strongly urge you just take a look in your local yellow pages. There's probably oodles of custom furniture makers in your local areas who would be very happy to take on even a small job like this in these troubled economic times, and the investment would probably only be about the same as a couple of pages. Think of it as a commission!

Very Best,

Andrew