• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm going to look at a collection today....1200+ long boxes!

103 posts in this topic

Brother, this is krap. How much is YOUR time worth, This reminds me of all the garbage my partner buys, cause he thinks it has some value, and we are drouning in it.

This guy should be happy to take any offer you make him, 3K tops,

even than, after all the work you put in to it, to sort, etc.

THERE'S NOBODY BEATIN YOUR DOOR DOWN TO BUY THIS JUNK,

IMHO,

Bunky

Going to go look at a collection today. It's a group of books from a chain of comic stores that went out of business about 12 years ago. The guy also bought collections on the side. He just packed all his books up, and locked the door. I'm interested to see whats there, I'm expecting about 1150 boxes of Image books, but I'm hoping there is at least some material to get excited about. Its going to be a little staggering to see approx. 300,000 books!

I'll post more as I can, and hopefully with pictures!

There was some excitement when you first mentioned, this was locked away in storage 12 years ago. The photo's show differently, they are completed picked through for any book of meager selling value. Plus the incredible sloppy stacking of the boxes, leaves me to think this guy is a total buffoon.

If you want to get into the comic flipping business, there are much better comic collections out there.

I wouldn't pay more than 1 cent per book, max. Max max max. That's a generous offer, when you consider recycling will likely pay 0-1 cents per pound for mixed paper, which amounts to about 3-4 comics.

Don't pay much more than that. Honest.

And as far as the investment that this guy has into the books, I do realize that he's got somewhere in the amount of probably $100,000 in the books (a LOT of the books were his store stock that just didn't sell, so that means .75-1.00 each even if he was getting a 55% discount through diamond). But I'm trying not to think of the investment he made, I'm trying to think the value today, and what its going to cost to get that value out. Reasonable retail on the books is somewhere in the ballpark of 10,000-15,000, maybe 20,000. That's squeezing every nickle out. But that also means 1000 or so man hours, $500 getting the collection from point a to point b. And another 250-350 in more supplies (if not more, I noticed he's got about 1000 bags he hasn't used yet). Plus the cost in the conventions I'm gonna have to set up at.

After reviewing the pics, 1 cent per book is much more than fair. If the guy paid $100,000 for these books, he was woefully poor businessman. It's highly possible that he went bankrupt and defaulted his creditors, so there's that to think of.

Don't let this guy sucker you. This is garbage. I wouldn't even consider buying such trash, and I specialize in bulk deals. I'm leaning a lot more towards the "offer to take $1,000 to clean it out for him" school of thought.

Good luck.

And as far as the investment that this guy has into the books, I do realize that he's got somewhere in the amount of probably $100,000 in the books (a LOT of the books were his store stock that just didn't sell, so that means .75-1.00 each even if he was getting a 55% discount through diamond). But I'm trying not to think of the investment he made, I'm trying to think the value today, and what its going to cost to get that value out. Reasonable retail on the books is somewhere in the ballpark of 10,000-15,000, maybe 20,000. That's squeezing every nickle out. But that also means 1000 or so man hours, $500 getting the collection from point a to point b. And another 250-350 in more supplies (if not more, I noticed he's got about 1000 bags he hasn't used yet). Plus the cost in the conventions I'm gonna have to set up at.

Don't worry about what he paid for it - he likely made enough during the heyday to cover these leftovers. If reasonable retail is 10K - 15K, then you should offer no more than 5K. Start at $3500 and if he starts giving you grief then leave. There are better things to do with your money and better deals to be found.

For the cost of that drek I'd get a low grade AF#15 that would sell in a heartbeat,no fuss,no mess. 2c

Don't worry about what he paid for it - he likely made enough during the heyday to cover these leftovers. If reasonable retail is 10K - 15K, then you should offer no more than 5K. Start at $3500 and if he starts giving you grief then leave. There are better things to do with your money and better deals to be found.

For the cost of that drek I'd get a low grade AF#15 that would sell in a heartbeat,no fuss,no mess. 2c

Amen

no no no.......

my mind isn't made up. I'm fairly positive the deal isn't moving forward. I was commenting on the 'pros' of the collection. We've all brought up the cons.

as far as the 'quick buck'- people were commenting that instead of buying the collection, I could buy a low grade af 15 and flip it.

if it moves forward, i'll post it, we'll see. If I find out the guy thinks it's worth 50k, i'll post that too, everyone should get a laugh.

Pass. There are no pros. With that many books, unless you like working for free, your time isn't being paid here, as others have pointed out.

This guy would have to pay me to take the books, not the other way around. There looks to be almost nothing of interest there that would make this endeavor remotely worthwhile.

not too many people out there looking to give away an af 15 cheap so I could make a quick buck.

Here's the thing an AF 15 2.5(your estimated price for all those books 3500) or so would not cost you storage fees,man hours,cost of a booth at a Con.You have to work smart ,not hard,and this my friend is some hard work lugging this drek to shows from town to town. 2c

It's sad, because this "collection" has clearly been picked through, over, under, behind, and around. Anything worth anything is long gone, and all that's left is the unsellable dregs.

Recycling is the way to go.

(thumbs u