• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic-Keys Policy Clarification

38 posts in this topic

If you check out his current auctions, there's an additional statement added:

"This book is GUARANTEED to be free from restoration/alteration of any kind for a period of time beyond the 7-day approval, limited only to the duration of the buyer's ownership."

Sure, knowing that 80% or more wont be able to detect restoration them selves and/or wont be sending the book to CGC.

For someone that knows as much about restoration as he does and can tell that blue label CGC books are restored just by looking at a scan he sure misses a lot of restoration on books he actually has in hand. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure, knowing that 80% or more wont be able to detect restoration them selves and/or wont be sending the book to CGC.

Not just that, but maybe [!@#%^&^] is counting on his private auctions and multiple buyers/CGC submitters to slide a few Universals under the radar?

Okay, now why do the letters C and K put together equal [!@#%^&^]?

Not just that, but maybe [!@#%^&^] is counting on his private auctions and multiple buyers/CGC submitters to slide a few Universals under the radar?

Could happen.

Okay, now why do the letters C and K put together equal [!@#%^&^]?

I haven't been able to figure that one out. confused-smiley-013.gif

"This book is GUARANTEED to be free from restoration/alteration of any kind for a period of time beyond the 7-day approval, limited only to the duration of the buyer's ownership."

i know that his reputation is terrible and in all likelihood, well-deserved. i took the name Burntboy after i started to read these boards and learned about his alleged dealings in the past. afterall i had in my possession 3 of his SA Keys that i'd paid a handsome price for. and the auctions were well over a year old at the time.

but then i saw his statement to Supa (i believe) that he would have refunded for the book that set Supa off, irrespective of the timing involved.

so i got the books down to Sarasota and picked them up 3 weeks ago. they were all restored to some degree. all had trimming and there was some minor color touch and one staple replaced.

so i contacted him immediately and he returned my e-mail right away. he apologized for the books having had restoration, told me to send them to him (i did) and he sent me a check about one week later. it cleared today. it was for just over $28,000!!!

whatever else he may be - he was a man of his word with me.

i feel like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. think i'll go on a buying spree!!!!!! and i'm gonna keep my ID to remind myself what a trusting insufficiently_thoughtful_person i was in the first stages of my reentering the hobby. fortunately all of my other early major purchases were disclosed restoration Key GA books.

live and learn blush.gif

so i contacted him immediately and he returned my e-mail right away. he apologized for the books having had restoration, told me to send them to him (i did) and he sent me a check about one week later. it cleared today. it was for just over $28,000!!!

Good deal!!!

Now if only he'd remove the private feedback so everyone ELSE could get their refunds! frown.gif

I'm assuming he does this for legal reasons. At this point he knows who you are and that you'll never buy from him again so keeping you as a repeat customer isn't his motivation. Maybe some of the lawyers on the board can chime in here. Is he refunding money with such extreme time lag in order to stay within some law regarding the sale of "restored" collectibles? Plausible deniability? Whatever the case I'm glad you got your money back as that's a pretty good sum of money. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well I looked his auctions up and saw that "disclaimer" - but darned if I could find the terms of that Guaranty.

he returns the money cause he still comes out way ahead of the game. 10% of all those he scams ever try to recover their money so he gladly refunds them and keeps the rest.

Isn't it still a benefit to him in the fact that now he can sell a CGC graded comic without ever having sent it in? I doubt he'll sell it on ebay, but there are other venues that he can pawn them off in so that now he has the appearance of being even more honest?

By chance Burntboy... did he refund you the money that you paid to have them graded and shipped?

I'm just thankful that I could never afford what his auctions ended for before I jumped on here. To think... at one point I had him listed as a "favorites search" on ebay.... foreheadslap.gif

and i'm gonna keep my ID to remind myself what a trusting insufficiently_thoughtful_person i was in the first stages of my reentering the hobby.

Don't get down on yourself like that, Burnt. With his private feedback, there is no way you could have known what he was up to (until you found these boards or read the CBG article). He has a high feedback rating, so why wouldn't you trust it?

I got on eBay later than most people. And I found these boards only shortly afterward. Dupcak has always been a topic around here, so I was cautious about him from the get go. Also, probably luckliy for me at the time, his books just went for way too much money for me to justify.....

But, keep your name! It's a badge of honor now! thumbsup2.gif

Welcome to the club!! Glad you got your $$ back, and encourage you to PM oldguy with your "testimonial". thumbsup2.gif

Yea, I'd love to post that story on my web page. Just say the word Burntboy and I'll post it.

By chance Burntboy... did he refund you the money that you paid to have them graded and shipped?

when one is praying that they'll see their 28 grand again, the minimal (relatively speaking) cost of grading and shipping, etc., really isn't an issue. keep in mind that this was 18 months after the purchase and i was less than confident that i'd ever be made whole. (oh, but i did use my 3 express coupons for joining the CGC "society", on these 3 books). devil.gif

and, yes, he now has 3 very nice restored Key SA books which are slabbed and ready to sell, if he chooses. one of the ASM's was a slightly restored 9.0 and the AF#15 was a slightly restored 8.5. (not too shabby!) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif