• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best way to take good pictures of comics for selling?

18 posts in this topic

Ok, not the best worded subject line, but here's my problem and the reason I'm asking the question: I've had a hard time getting good pictures of books, especially CGC graded ones. I have struggled between getting glare, camera flash in the picture, not enough light with no glare,etc. So, I'm hoping some of you maybe have a standard setup that you use that you feel works every time and can be replicated easily. Thanks!

I just got this in yesterday. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043H69PQ/ref=oss_product It is amazing and you won't have to buy a new camera.

Also, Use an 8 megapixel to 12 megapixel camera at most. Most screens cannot read more than 12 megapixels and the picture becomes distorted or blurry.

Yes nothing beats a good legal size scanner.

If you only have a camera though, then you have to keep playiing with different angles etc.. to try and get the right photo.

Here is an example of me using a camera and and a scanner for two different Cap sketches......

The camera photo took me several tries with a flash to try to get it right with no glare.

The scanner though, perfect every time.

DSC_0031.JPG

scan0073.tif.jpg

I usually put my slabs on the kitchen table, because we have enough windows plus a light above the table to take a picture without a flash. i stand on one of the chairs and take a picture looking down. Then I put the picture into iPhoto, crop it, straighten it if needed and voila....The only drawback to my method, is you can see my reflection on the CGC case...too damn glossy....have to talk to CGC about making them with a matte finish. :grin:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/DSC_0003.jpg[/img]]DD 184

If you only have a camera, a decent idea is to get a black background. Than use a portable night light to get one strong light source. Than find a position where the bulb does not leave a glare, and you should be able to get a decent shot of the book. Rooms with lots of windows and multiple light sources can wash out the colors.

I usually put my slabs on the kitchen table, because we have enough windows plus a light above the table to take a picture without a flash. i stand on one of the chairs and take a picture looking down. Then I put the picture into iPhoto, crop it, straighten it if needed and voila....The only drawback to my method, is you can see my reflection on the CGC case...too damn glossy....have to talk to CGC about making them with a matte finish. :grin:

Just make sure you are fully clothed if you are going to use this method. We all know about the guy with the tea-pot, right? :sick:

:roflmao:

Get on craigslist and find a legal sized scanner....I just got one for $25

This. eBay too. Also, do some research on the boards using the search function to figure out which scanners are best.

Running this through Photostudio using the "autoenhance" feature would probably sharpen it up nicely.

Just make sure you are fully clothed if you are going to use this method. We all know about the guy with the tea-pot, right? :sick:

:roflmao:

That's one of the best slab pic's I've seen. I thought it was a scan at first. :applause: