• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out what happened at my local comic shop in STL...police stand off!

101 posts in this topic

Although it's probably not the popular opinion, I say let's go with the entire innocent until proven guilty position that is, um, our constitutionally guaranteed right by law.

Is he guilty? Who knows? Probably, and if he is then put him in jail.But that's what the court of law is for. How terrible would you feel if it turned out that he's completely innocent and you lined up with the rest of the mob? That his whole life and world is destroyed because of some baseless accusation. For those of you who don't think that children lie, I suggest you ask a friend or two who has children.

Regardless of how you feel about his store/pricing/personality, that should have no basis in what should happen to him. Just the facts. I will hold judgment until then, at least in this particular venue, it sounds like many St. Louis locals already could care less for his store.

my .02

The whole innocent-until-proven-guilty thing is irrelevant here as this is not a court of law. Rather, we are a group linked by a common interest, and when one of our own, seemingly very creepy is accused of something beyond creepy, it's interesting to speculate. Nothing said here will affect him in any way (beyond maybe losing a few customers), and it's fun to beat our chests when we see terrible criminal behavior.

I use to work in a comic store as a kid in the mid 80s. There was another comic store down the street who it turns out was owned by an old man who had done some level of sexual attack on kids years prior.

It's not surprising that pedophiles would have started up comic book stores, as that would have given them easy access to their victims. That a percentage of LCS owners are peds is hardly surprising, as the business would have attracted them like flies.

Not so much now, but the odd kid still strolls in from time to time.

Is he guilty? Who knows? Probably, and if he is then put him in jail.But that's what the court of law is for. How terrible would you feel if it turned out that he's completely innocent and you lined up with the rest of the mob?

This guys is certainly not innocent, as he not only tried to commit suicide while brandishing a deadly weapon, he also threatened police officers with the gun. Just from those incidents, you could make a laundry list of crimes punishable by incarceration in prison or at a mental facility.

So no matter what your addled brain stem mistakenly believes, this guy is 100% guilty.

The whole innocent-until-proven-guilty thing is irrelevant here as this is not a court of law. Rather, we are a group linked by a common interest, and when one of our own, seemingly very creepy is accused of something beyond creepy, it's interesting to speculate. Nothing said here will affect him in any way (beyond maybe losing a few customers), and it's fun to beat our chests when we see terrible criminal behavior.

No, but that's how reputations and lives are ruined, sometime unjustly. I'll wait until he is actually convicted before lighting my torch.

No, but that's how reputations and lives are ruined, sometime unjustly. I'll wait until he is actually convicted before lighting my torch.

Do you really think this guy's life will be ruined because a few people on this board are rushing to judgment? I think you overestimate our influence. And what exactly do you mean by lighting your torch, is anyone here taking some kind of action against this guy?

Do you really think this guy's life will be ruined because a few people on this board are rushing to judgment? I think you overestimate our influence. And what exactly do you mean by lighting your torch, is anyone here taking some kind of action against this guy?

Us alone? Probably not (though there are a fair number of people posting in this thread that seem to know him and his shop), but you have to look at it in aggregate. Did the workers at McMartin Preschool have their lives ruined by a couple of conversations? No, but when you multiply those couple of conversations by ten thousand judgements and trials in the courts of public opinion it adds up. Listen, I worked in the felony trial division in Cook County in Chicago, I thought criminal prosecution was going to be my calling. It wasn't, but I hate scumbags as much as the next guy. I just want to make sure they actually ARE scumbags through a fair trial before rushing to judgement or condemnation in any forum, this one included. Your mileage may vary.

Is he guilty? Who knows? Probably, and if he is then put him in jail.But that's what the court of law is for. How terrible would you feel if it turned out that he's completely innocent and you lined up with the rest of the mob?

This guys is certainly not innocent, as he not only tried to commit suicide while brandishing a deadly weapon, he also threatened police officers with the gun. Just from those incidents, you could make a laundry list of crimes punishable by incarceration in prison or at a mental facility.

So no matter what your addled brain stem mistakenly believes, this guy is 100% guilty.

Whatever, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. BTW, the video that I saw from the link above stated that he never pointed the gun at the police. And let's leave my addled brain stem out of this... :sumo:

Listen, I worked in the felony trial division in Cook County in Chicago ,

Cook County. That's a scary place, seriously!

DR.X

Us alone? Probably not (though there are a fair number of people posting in this thread that seem to know him and his shop), but you have to look at it in aggregate. Did the workers at McMartin Preschool have their lives ruined by a couple of conversations? No, but when you multiply those couple of conversations by ten thousand judgements and trials in the courts of public opinion it adds up. Listen, I worked in the felony trial division in Cook County in Chicago, I thought criminal prosecution was going to be my calling. It wasn't, but I hate scumbags as much as the next guy. I just want to make sure they actually ARE scumbags through a fair trial before rushing to judgement or condemnation in any forum, this one included. Your mileage may vary.

Did the workers at McMartin Preschool resist arrest by gunpoint?

Whatever, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. BTW, the video that I saw from the link above stated that he never pointed the gun at the police. And let's leave my addled brain stem out of this... :sumo:

Brandishing a weapon and resisting arrest while armed is threatening police. Pointing it at a cop, yourself, or the floor doesn't matter. If you don't drop the weapon and surrender when told to do so, you're committing a crime. And using a firearm in the commission of a crime, which usually tacks on another decade to your sentence.

Did the workers at McMartin Preschool resist arrest by gunpoint?

I am talking about the underlying offense, and I never said it looked good for him because it certainly doesn't. What I did say was that there is nothing wrong with exercising some restraint until the evidence is heard at trial and a verdict is in. I honestly don't understand why anyone would take issue with that.

Listen, I worked in the felony trial division in Cook County in Chicago ,

Cook County. That's a scary place, seriously!

DR.X

Parts of it are. I was at 26th and Cal, at the main court house. What a zoo.

Brandishing a weapon and resisting arrest while armed is threatening police. Pointing it at a cop, yourself, or the floor doesn't matter. If you don't drop the weapon and surrender when told to do so, you're committing a crime. And using a firearm in the commission of a crime, which usually tacks on another decade to your sentence.

Guys (J_C and dupont), I think it's pretty obvious that when kolmaravenue says "is he guilty?", he is talking about the rape charge and not about anything related to the standoff.

And on that, he's still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

He's ruined by the press. Everyone will hear about the arrest, but no one will read about his acquittal (if he was acquitted). No parent will let their kid in there again because of the rule of where there's smoke there must be fire.

Kids testifying is tricky. Their credibility can be lost before the game has started if the child is not questioned correctly. An interrogator cannot ask "Did the man do XYZ?" and expect it to hold up in a court. The child would need to present information that a child would not know unless the child has experienced it. I'm not going to get into details, but there are aspects of sex that only someone exposed to it would know when comparing to a child that may only be prompted to repeat what they think the adult wants to hear. This is tough to explain on a comic board.

No f'in way!

I knew that guy was a skeeze ball!

The only comic shop in St Louis containing anything worth buying, and the guy ends up being a pervert.

You know, it certainly doesn't surprise me at all. This guy had slimy pedophile written all over him.

I'm glad they locked his big up. He's like Jabba the Hut without the personality.

WOW! :o

His previous biggest character flaw IMO was not pricing books. I went twice and when he broke out the guide at the counter, I quit going.

This actually isn't the worst thing in the world depending on who you are dealing with, unless they think OPG is the word of G-D and they can't deviate. One guy I deal with sometimes does that on most of his books and it's usually to find the right number to cut in half.