• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did you join eBay...?

79 posts in this topic

May 9, 2008 , but I have previously used my wive's account to buy stuff for about 10 years.

With only 9 feedback (100% on purchases) I currently have my first original owner comics for sale. Unfortunately I have much to learn about selling on The Bay. With only a few hours to go for six F/VF or better early bronze books from 1970, I only have two watchers and no bids. Somebody may get some nice books for a last minute bid starting at $.99 :eek:

Sept 1998 and I've just recently passed 500 feedbacks.

Heres a question for you all...... how many negs have you left during your ebay time. Only twice for me. But I have left 4 or 5 neutrals.

One neg was cuz the guy never sent the item, the other was cuz the buyer never paid or contacted me.....after 30 days !!

I've left negs for about 3-4 sellers. There have been about 100 others that would have been warranted....., but I try to reserve those negs for the most egregious.

December 4th 1998. Although my auctions started in the middle of January of 1999. I remember the goal of getting 10-20 auctions up per week. I also remember thinking out side the box, finding comic books with almost no value, and selling back page ads for $10.00-$20.00 each. Hot Wheels and Green Machine and other toys.

Can you imagine being at a party with a bunch of friends, and having a conversation about a particular subject...and then someone says "hey, we've talked about this before. Instead of talking about it again, let's just listen to this recording I made of that conversation. That'll save us lots of time and effort."

May, 1998, here are some memories:

- hosting your own pictures (on dial up), finding webspace and using ftp, this was a major barrier to entry for many sellers.

- sending cash wrapped in tinfoil

- buyers and sellers emails were displayed

- most people had never heard of ebay

- 5$ to get people signed up for paypal, made like $200 on that one

- going to local auctions and sales, and not being surrounded by 50 other ebayers.

Anyone else have any?

Yup...

Remember when eBay didn't have any way to contact them, except via e-mail?

Canned answers.

Being able to check every single one of the ending listings for that day in the Comics section.

Sniping by hand.

Anybody could leave feedback for anybody else, at any time, for any reason, and no reason at all. Got my first neg from David Allan Hrushka because I told him to stop spamming me with his 10,000 character e-mails, telling all his bidders how stupid we were to not pay his reserve prices on his GA stuff, which was 2-5 times current market. I stupidly didn't respond in kind, thinking eBay would see the injustice of such a move (which, of course, they were later forced to), and remove it. Silly me. Yet another touchy feely nonsense idea from the kooks in Silicon Valley.

No charge for reserve auctions.

Everything was paid for by check or money order...which resulted in acres of theft.

May 18 1997

The worst thing was trying to get a bid in during the last 2 minutes with a 14.4 dial up modem!

I remember those days. Talk about frantic. I'd try to hit refresh, and if the auction had pictures, it was like waiting for molasses to drip. It was agonizing.

lol

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have spent most of 1999-2001 buying Silver Age everything and spending my money on nothing else. Those were days not seen since the mid 80's, and likely never seen again.

I gave away, probably around 2002, at least an 8.0...and probably close to 9.2...Showcase #27 for half VF Guide. :cry:

Ah well, I still did pretty good for myself.