• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Because, well...it's eBay....

52 posts in this topic

Buyer bought a book on Oct 19th. Didn't pay until Oct 27th. NOT a problem, truly. I am not the kind of seller who needs payment yesterday. You need a couple weeks to pay, no problem at all. Didn't even send a reminder, nothing.

Got this message today:

"It's been more than a week and tracking still show "Electronic Shipping Info Received." Please send it out already. Thanks."

lol

So, a week (not "more than a week") after sending payment, the guy is assuming the book hasn't even been sent out (which, of course, it has.) Without even bothering to ask if it had been, just making the assumption...after taking more than a week to pay himself.

Gotta love eBay.

:cloud9:

You get all kinds on ebay.

A month ago, I sold some modern books and the seller dinged me because he didn't like the cover art. Not kidding. He felt I was at fault because the cover wasn't what he expected even though the auction included a picture.

You got to laugh at people like this.

Some buyers do not have a clue!

I sold a Weird Wonder Tales #22 a while ago and advertised it as Byrne art, which the OPG clearly states. It sold for 0.99 which is fine, shipping was 1.25, sent it out next day, he received it two days after winning, but then the buyer leaves me a neg. feedback because he could not see Byrne's name on the opening credit page. He says I lied about the artist just to con someone out of their money!! No email, in which I could have talked him through it, He even claimed to work at a comic store!! Need I say more really. I've got several more similar stories from ridiculous buyers...

Some buyers do not have a clue!

I sold a Weird Wonder Tales #22 a while ago and advertised it as Byrne art, which the OPG clearly states. It sold for 0.99 which is fine, shipping was 1.25, sent it out next day, he received it two days after winning, but then the buyer leaves me a neg. feedback because he could not see Byrne's name on the opening credit page. He says I lied about the artist just to con someone out of their money!! No email, in which I could have talked him through it, He even claimed to work at a comic store!! Need I say more really. I've got several more similar stories from ridiculous buyers...

That dude deserves a throat punch. :mad:

He says I lied about the artist just to con someone out of their money!! No email, in which I could have talked him through it, He even claimed to work at a comic store!! Need I say more really. I've got several more similar stories from ridiculous buyers...

insufficiently_thoughtful_person

You can try to manage customer expectations, but you can't manage douchebags.

Years ago I had a women go NUTZO on me over an order of Alf comics. My listings always had the shipping and payment options specifically laid out. "Personal checks are held for ten days before shipping." She sent me a personal check. I waited ten days and promptly shipped the books. And she wanted Media mail. O.K. She then complains that I was lazy and it took to long for her to get Alf in the mail Drops a Neg on me saying she paid Priority. I replied to her Neg in feedback saying "Checks are held for ten days and you did not pay Priority, your sincere apology accepted". She went ing ballistic on me with e-mails lol

DRX

Idjit. I get the same thing. Some people take weeks to pay and then demand you ship it asap.

I've also been getting lots of non paying bidders lately. Anybody else?

In my nearly 8 years on eBay I've never had one. Now I have two in one month.

Tools, the lot of them.

I've avoided it until now but I'm thinking of adding a clause in the listing of asking them to pay within one week.

I had a gentleman in Brazil win an auction from me that contained two books from 1919. I mail the package the next day after payment, and sent a note to confirm the books shipped with tracking information.

Two weeks later, he leaves feedback. I notice my ship time DSR goes down drastically (I only sold a few books at a time, so even one rating would make a difference). I wasn't sure what happened.

Two weeks later, he sends me an apology email and clarifies Brazil had a postal worker strike, and the package had taken a few extra days to arrive. He had given me a "1" for ship time, and yet didn't put it all together with the news that I wasn't the holdup. Especially since I gave him tracking information and he could clearly see where the package was.

:(

For the most part, I've found an inverse correlation between this type of behavior and how much the item costs. The cheaper the item, the nuttier the customer can be. There are whack jobs across the board of course, but more at the under $20 end.

Years ago I had a women go NUTZO on me over an order of Alf comics. My listings always had the shipping and payment options specifically laid out. "Personal checks are held for ten days before shipping." She sent me a personal check. I waited ten days and promptly shipped the books. And she wanted Media mail. O.K. She then complains that I was lazy and it took to long for her to get Alf in the mail Drops a Neg on me saying she paid Priority. I replied to her Neg in feedback saying "Checks are held for ten days and you did not pay Priority, your sincere apology accepted". She went ing ballistic on me with e-mails lol

DRX

That is great!! :roflmao:

For the most part, I've found an inverse correlation between this type of behavior and how much the item costs. The cheaper the item, the nuttier the customer can be. There are whack jobs across the board of course, but more at the under $20 end.

+1

In my experience, whether or not the book is slabbed makes a difference too. Whenever I sell raw books I put disclaimers that customers are welcome to return items if they aren't happy with the condition, but I still have gotten angry emails. Real crazy stuff too... it seems like even when you grade fairly, some people don't care - they're just looking to hit the jackpot with a super-duper deal and an undergraded copy. (shrug)

With slabs, it's a lot less of that.

HBD Greg!

There is also a direct correlation between the books collectors are bidding on and how much money they have to spend.

Someone with $500+ to drop on a book can afford to lose a tenth of that and it would barely register. I would wager that most of the bidders going for the cheap stuff doesn't have much money at all, but still wants to be a part of the hobby. To them $5 means alot more than it does to me. Doesn't give them a right to be d**ks, but some of them may have a valid concern TO THEM. We may think its a joke, but gotta give some people the benefit of the doubt.

Who knows, maybe that guy had to pimp his wife out to buy that cheap book lol