• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to the comic economics thread?

68 posts in this topic

It was supposed to be on comics, collectibles and the impact of the possibly further downturn of the economy.

I had a great post about the economic realities of the comics market that has, sadly, been done away with. :(

Luckily, your modesty wasn't affected.

:hi:

Hi, have we met? I'm RMA. Nice to meet you.

:cloud9:

Concentrated ego is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those wielding it.

You know, you're just fueling the haters...

:whistle:

:o

It was supposed to be on comics, collectibles and the impact of the possibly further downturn of the economy.

I had a great post about the economic realities of the comics market that has, sadly, been done away with. :(

Concentrated ego is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those wielding it.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Good thing I have no good intentions....

And that's why you were refused entry into the UK.

I thought it was because his application form was 300 pages long and no one could be arsed to read it. (shrug)

It was politics within the first 10 posts, and it had gone nearly 400 posts before it was pulled.

Your welcome.

Yes, dear, that joke's been used three times today, twice by you.

Let's not spoil its effectiveness by overusing it, shall we...?

:)

You're wrong... ;)

Nice edit. (thumbs u

lol The 'you're wrong'; 'no, you're wrong' was almost as funny as the 'your welcome'. Classic thread. (thumbs u

I was enjoying the topic of comics and the economy, however I noticed the topic seems to change and I stopped reading after page 5 or 6. It seemed to jump the shark. I would love to hear more thoughts on COMICS & the ECONOMY but I guess that ship has sailed.

I hear you. Unfortunately, much of the current economy is tied to government fiscal measures, like QE 1 and 2, which invariably leads to political discussion. :(

Well I wish I was living in China or Australia right now, cause I would be buying up some high-grade books I really want from all our Auction sites.

I'm sure you'd be buying up a lot of high-grade books with your $837 annual per-capital income living in China, where the currency has appreciated a whopping 2% this year vs. the U.S. dollar. :baiting:

In a heartbeat yes, with my same monetary worth (obviously a lot more would be dreamy) and age. Cause China is going through our version of the Industrial Revolution as we speak. Capitalism is just blossoming and flourishing over there, ours is waning. I would be thrilled to be living there, to be investing in the comical amount of Venture Capital right now and forth coming. Not to mention, buying up as much commercial land as possible. And on the side follow suit with the country and buy as much of the U.S.'s debt I could afford.

My two cents.

In a heartbeat yes, with my same monetary worth (obviously a lot more would be dreamy) and age. Cause China is going through our version of the Industrial Revolution as we speak. Capitalism is just blossoming and flourishing over there, ours is waning. I would be thrilled to be living there, to be investing in the comical amount of Venture Capital right now and forth coming. Not to mention, buying up as much commercial land as I could afford. And on the side follow suit with the country and buy as much of the U.S.'s debt I could afford.

My two cents.

Don't want to get too political, but I think China is having their own housing bubble after the Olympics. From what I've read they over-built for the games and now have a ton of empty buildings. Even heard they don't use the Bird Stadium anymore. China isn't a capitalist country either, any foreign company that wants to do business there needs to share their secrets with China who has than been using that to start their own businesses.

You can still buy US debt, don't have to live in China for that :)

I hear you and I have heard and personally seen the Olympic real-estate sitting empty.

But I personally would be excited to have dual citizenship and explore the investment possibilities they currently have available to citizens and will in the years ahead. Their banks are pretty impressive with their net worth and it is growing. That Country scoffed at the World Dollar notion and they had their reasons. Again IMHO they are starting the next industrial revolution, and I would like to be a part of it locally if I could.

Again just my two cents, could be a retarded two cents. Not being political, just personally like their business model and I feel it enables Capitalism and will cater to it in the years ahead.

And as for our debt, I'd like to live in the Country that is buying a lot of it.

I thought it was because his application form was 300 pages long and no one could be arsed to read it. (shrug)

Who said I was refused entry into the UK...?

:shrug:

I said I tried to emigrate.

Big difference.

Who said I was refused entry into the UK...?

:shrug:

I said I tried to emigrate.

Big difference.

joe3.jpg

I tried to emigrate as well. They told me my teeth were too good and my English was too bad. And when they told me they kept their mustard in toothpaste tubes, that was the last straw.

lol

In a heartbeat yes, with my same monetary worth (obviously a lot more would be dreamy) and age. Cause China is going through our version of the Industrial Revolution as we speak. Capitalism is just blossoming and flourishing over there, ours is waning. I would be thrilled to be living there, to be investing in the comical amount of Venture Capital right now and forth coming. Not to mention, buying up as much commercial land as possible. And on the side follow suit with the country and buy as much of the U.S.'s debt I could afford.

My two cents.

from what i understand from friends living/working over there, it isn't exactly cheap finding housing that meets western standards. basically, one friend is paying roughly the same she was paying in manhattan. sure, you can hire 10 or 15 chinese for the price of one american, but a decent apartment with decent plumbing in a decent area will likely cost you more than what you're paying now. if you want to live in a hovel you can do that on the cheap, yes.

My two cents.

from what i understand from friends living/working over there, it isn't exactly cheap finding housing that meets western standards. basically, one friend is paying roughly the same she was paying in manhattan. sure, you can hire 10 or 15 chinese for the price of one american, but a decent apartment with decent plumbing in a decent area will likely cost you more than what you're paying now. if you want to live in a hovel you can do that on the cheap, yes.

Any American that wants to bust out Icculus' "Let's go to China" postulate better spend some time learning how to accurately defecate in a hole in the floor. Your years of indoor plumbing use have likely caused any natural skill therein to atrophy to the point of uselessness.

Comics and the economy-

I went to this guys house this afternoon. Nicest guy in the world. He had 7000 9+ comics bagged and boarded. He's out of work, behind on bills, has racked CC's and is behind on his mortgage and the first thing he's liquidating is his comics for next to nothing. All the prime stuff was already sold or my car would have been loaded to the top.

Just a snapshot!

I think December will be the turn for a major buyers market for a number of reasons.

i know we talked about taxes in the last thread...I just did my mother's taxes. she is a 75 year old retiree getting SS and a mid-$20K pension. she had around $10K in medical expenses last year and around another $10K (home, local RE taxes, etc.) in deductions. she still wound up getting hit with $2500 in federal income taxes, roughly 15% of her taxable income. it would have been worse had she not been able to itemize. so much for the lower income folks being able to live income tax-free! i guess if she had kids at that income she wouldn't have paid taxes.....

now she won't be able to afford any comics! (to make it relevant to the board)

dang you obama, dang you!