• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mid-Ohio Comic-Con photo's

25 posts in this topic

You are so right about the HG X-men reprints :P
I agree, I didn't find any reprints this year. I did well on those at this show last year (including a strong 9.6 #86).

I was able to find about a dozen HG X-Men that were pre-reprint, including a nice #66 (9.4-9.6) and stunning copies of #12 and #24 (both in the 9.0-9.2 range).

I missed the Black Cat, but I saw a couple of Slave Leia's that were walking around. I hope someone got a pic :wishluck:

I thought it was a pretty good show....lots of dollar boxes but plenty of higher end stuff from the SA and GA too. I got some nice books.

But I only recognized one artist/writer at the booths. I know I'm getting old but geez! I think they could have expanded their horizons a bit to at least the BA!

Lou and I got back late last nite.

It was a decent show but there were definitely less dealers in the room than last year. Dave Kapelka was on vacation so he didn't set up this year. I believe that although Harley and Shelton used to do this show they didn't come by. The room just felt a little lighter than previous years when it came to vintage dealers.

There was a decent selection as would be expected at a show this size but nothing out of the ordinary. Feedback seemed to be mixed as some dealers did well and others didn't. Lots of trades and dollar books everywhere and those seemed to appeal to the bargain hunters.

The hottest book of the show as far as I could tell was Brave And The Bold #28. It seemed that every booth I was at there was somebody asking for a copy. SA DC's seemed to be sought after from what I could tell. JLA #1 and similar books getting the "wow" treatment. I'd say based on my limited sales experience these books are heating up.

I was at Jamie Graham's booth and a customer passed on the #28 there because of the writing on the book and took the #29 with no bargaining or haggling. Just paid full price.

Paul from Comic Book World always has nice material if you want to dig a little through the boxes.

Picked up some sweet high grade stuff from Dale Roberts including a really nice Daredevil #7.

Also picked up the following: A VG copy of TOS #39, a gorgeous mid (higher) grade FF #5, some high grade SA ASM books (which always do well), as well as a (you guessed it) low grade B+B #28. Got a nice Dave Stevens Vanguard for myself and some other odds and ends.

Lots of quality material to choose from if you wanted to dig.

Always a fun show to go to, and considering it's only a 6 hour drive for us and it's relatively economical it's on our list of shows to see. Looking forward to next year if we can fit it in.

My buddy and I attended on Sunday. Not a bad show, but nothing to write home about. The Slave Leia's were nice. As well as the White Queen. The Ohura girl was another matter.

First show I have ever attended where I didn't buy a comic book. Looked all over the place for some nice Dave Stevens books and couldn't find any I thought were 9.8 material. Couldn't find any Alien Worlds #1's either. None.

My buddy bought 13 comics.

Except for Dale, the slabbed book pickens were slim, slim, slim. I don't seem to be able to afford his stuff anymore. I used to. Maybe I should learn to dicker. (c'mon, not that way guys!)

I did buy some Marvel Origins posters put out by Pepsi back in the early 80's, Masterpiece Transformers, and my buddy had some caricatures done. One was fifty bucks and was worse than my 10 year old grandson could have done. The other was pretty sweet. Two different artists. I guess you have to see some of their work before you ask them to draw for you. My buddy didn't. He just assumed they all were decent artists.

The sweet one my buddy had done, was him and I together as Power Man and Iron Fist. My buddy, being the black guy, was Power Man (Duh). I was Iron Fist with a beard. Ha Ha.

I would rate this show a 6 on a 1-10 scale. Compared to past Mid-Ohio Cons I have attended (only a few).

Heard one guy crying and begging for a CGC witness, all over the place. I finally heard them use the PA system to locate one. Don't know if they did or not.

Almost pulled the trigger (using my credit card) for an AF #15. But didn't. Some dealer had six or more of them on his wall. But I didn't care for him so I passed. All the time I was inquiring about a couple of them, he had an earpiece in his ear and was tuning in his ipod or whatever the ear piece was attached to. You would have thought that a potential sale of an AF #15 would have got his attention. But alas, he was more into his electronic thingy. I was going to offer him two hundred less than his asking price, but he irked me and I left.

The wife will be happy. :)

Didn't see many kids, except for some in strollers. The entry fee for this show was pretty high (15) considering how "lame" the show was. But I don't attend shows elsewhere, so maybe I don't understand what these things cost nowadays. I missed the Cincy show because I wasn't aware of it. Gonna try that one next year.

Doubtful If I will go to the Mid Ohio next year. Better stuff on these boards available, I think.

That's a great report conditionfreak. By reading this thread (and others here on the boards), I am realizing my collecting habits/traits are perhaps a little different than most. Ultra-high grade books are not that important to me, for I am a completist.

Iron Man (1st series), complete.

Sub-Mariner, long since done.

X-men, need one book.

Daredevil, Avengers, Hulk, about 65 to 75% complete.

I would much rather complete my runs than obtain a 9.8 book at premuim prices. If a run had a beginning and an end (as pretty much all the silver and bronze do), then I want them all!

In past years, I haven't found much of what I wanted, but went with a list this year and found nearly every one (but two). Out of about 30 purchased for the set I'm concentrating on right now, 5 will grade 9.8, and the rest were 9.6s, with a few 9.4s. Happy as can be about that one.

Very glad I went back on Sunday. Crowd was gone and dealers lowered their prices. All the variants or higher grade comics I purchased were $5. Picked up 4 NM/M Werewolf by Night and some outstanding copies of Fringe, Dark Tower Gunslinger and Locke & Key. Even a Walking Dead #61 for $1.50!

Got to see Jeremy Bastian and purchased books, got them signed and even a sketch. (Pirate picked up one of those too!) :)

Guess it's all relative: what you go for, and what you find.

Lou and I got back late last nite.

It was a decent show but there were definitely less dealers in the room than last year. Dave Kapelka was on vacation so he didn't set up this year. I believe that although Harley and Shelton used to do this show they didn't come by. The room just felt a little lighter than previous years when it came to vintage dealers.

There was a decent selection as would be expected at a show this size but nothing out of the ordinary. Feedback seemed to be mixed as some dealers did well and others didn't. Lots of trades and dollar books everywhere and those seemed to appeal to the bargain hunters.

The hottest book of the show as far as I could tell was Brave And The Bold #28. It seemed that every booth I was at there was somebody asking for a copy. SA DC's seemed to be sought after from what I could tell. JLA #1 and similar books getting the "wow" treatment. I'd say based on my limited sales experience these books are heating up.

I was at Jamie Graham's booth and a customer passed on the #28 there because of the writing on the book and took the #29 with no bargaining or haggling. Just paid full price.

Paul from Comic Book World always has nice material if you want to dig a little through the boxes.

Picked up some sweet high grade stuff from Dale Roberts including a really nice Daredevil #7.

Also picked up the following: A VG copy of TOS #39, a gorgeous mid (higher) grade FF #5, some high grade SA ASM books (which always do well), as well as a (you guessed it) low grade B+B #28. Got a nice Dave Stevens Vanguard for myself and some other odds and ends.

Lots of quality material to choose from if you wanted to dig.

Always a fun show to go to, and considering it's only a 6 hour drive for us and it's relatively economical it's on our list of shows to see. Looking forward to next year if we can fit it in.

I thought I saw you... but I wasn't positive. :)

I went up on Sunday, trying to raise some funds but dealers seemed short on it. Ended up selling my x-men run and my ASM partial run to Chuck. I got just about what I wanted and he ended up buying some extra stuff so I did ok. Was VERY pleased about it. I bought a few things for me and thats about it.

I did get to meet and greet and do some business with CATRICK...so that was a very good bonus.

(guess I need to change my signature line a little)

I really wanted to go to this but as it happens it was the same weekend that I already had plans. During the course of the con I basically managed to drive from Cincinnati to Sandusky to Cleveland and back to Cincinnati, twice passing through Columbus. Yet my consecutive non-attendance at cons streak seems it will carry on for another year. :cry: