• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a good example of Boards community spirit?

171 posts in this topic

In the post listing the book, the seller (if that's the right word when talking about a free book) stated "First :takeit: WINS).

Now those were the rules of that deal. Gary followed those rules. The seller was happy with that. His not quoting that book was not against the rules of that thread.

Gary has let the matter go which is good for him. He's a nice guy and it annoyed me to see him being (in my opinion) taken advantage of. This is my last post in this thread unless any facts need clarifying. I've said what I wanted to and it's up to everyone else what they think of it.

there's also a bit of a difference between a "free stuff" thread and a buying thread where one may post an :takeit: and then spend 20 minutes deciding which of the 150 books listed they want.

If this was the scenario, and all the books were in one post, then it changes everything and the book has to be posted first.

That is not the current rule and there is certainly no "has to be" about it.

Now it is an interesting point and it may be a good idea to change the rules GOING FORWARD.

Yeah, and the first rule to amend should be a probation thread for freebies, with its first inductee made as an example of how not to act in an online community with a thriving marketplace

Hi everyone! :hi:

The "SELLER" here!

This matter was resolved amicably. Gary in his good grace gave up the book and told me he would because the other poster wanted it - so as not to cause any problems.

For his good will, he was given his choice of one of my extra Locke & Key books for the cost of postage, and he was happy.

We're all good.

Gary is a great person! :)

The "SELLER" here!

This matter was resolved amicably. Gary in his good grace gave up the book and told me he would because the other poster wanted it - so as not to cause any problems.

For his good will, he was given his choice of one of my extra Locke & Key books for the cost of postage, and he was happy.

We're all good.

Cheryl is a great person (worship) She has been very kind and amicable during the whole incident. I just hope this all doesn't ruin people's generosity and community spirit on the boards. I love this place and I am yet to meet someone I have not valued as a member here (thumbs u

For his good will, he was given his choice of one of my extra Locke & Key books for the cost of postage, and he was happy. ... Gary is a great person! :)

Hooray!!!!!

+1 Always nice to see a kind gesture rewarded, especially when there was probably no expectation of a reward. Sellers like this re-affirm my sense that most people here (not all) are decent folk.

I once PM'd an offer on a really desirable, high grade White paged beauty of a book = I really wanted it. It was not a lowball offer, just a nominal discount to feel Iike I got a deal. Hopefully that's understandable.

Anyway, the seller accepted but before he got to mark it sold, another Boardie PM'd a conditional offer AND posted the I'll Take It per PM. It was a cool book and the Boardie was getting literally pages of congrats. I discussed it with the seller and since the Boardie's offer was stronger I said I would back out.

The Seller was very appreciative of my backing out, no problem there. But I never got a PM with a thanks from the Boardie ? It always kind of bothered me. (shrug)

The "SELLER" here!

We're all good.

Cheryl is a great person (worship) She has been very kind and amicable during the whole incident. I just hope this all doesn't ruin people's generosity and community spirit on the boards. I love this place and I am yet to meet someone I have not valued as a member here (thumbs u

Well, I think you're both great people and I apologise if the thread has caused either of you any bother. I don't think what happened was right but it shows Cheryl to be a generous and thoughtful person to go to that much effort to make everyone happy.