• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

Agree with the sentiments of both Gene and John. Look, of course anyone can ask anything they want, but if someone hauls out New Mutants 1 and wants $2,000 you'd be all over them.

While this isn't exactly analogous, the asking prices are foolish. I know he wants to "strike while the iron is hot" but these are priced not to sell. Perhaps they're just museum pieces or he's hoping someone who doesn't know OA will just be foolish and come along and pay the prices. Regardless, the only response a consumer can have is simply not to pay it any mind and move on. Since the discussion was posed, I think there's probably an overwhelming mindset that the ask prices for the art are outrageous.

Then again, it only takes one fool.

Just don't tell me your art is so personal that you were willing to sell the same page for thousands less prior to the show hitting the airwaves. meh

Lots of sellers say the same thing.

This is *my* price, and it's what is going to take to part with it.

He has nothing to lose by raising the asking prices. If they don't sell he can always go down. If he's already sold a few pieces at his elevated prices (which it sounds like he did) then that is going to continue to encourage him to keep the prices raised.

No big deal. Capitalism. Take it or leave it.

He is "justified" to sell it for whatever price he wishes.

We are "justified" to not buy it at that price.

However, it stands to reason that the market for the art has widened somewhat with the shows release. I expected a jump in the prices but the market will make its correction sooner or later.

While this isn't exactly analogous, the asking prices are foolish. I know he wants to "strike while the iron is hot" but these are priced not to sell. Perhaps they're just museum pieces or he's hoping someone who doesn't know OA will just be foolish and come along and pay the prices. Regardless, the only response a consumer can have is simply not to pay it any mind and move on. Since the discussion was posed, I think there's probably an overwhelming mindset that the ask prices for the art are outrageous.

While the prices are high, if he's not motivated to sell there is no reason for him not to wait until someone wants to pay his price.

There is always going to be someone who wants the piece enough.

I know I've got "museum piece" prices in my own eBay store on some of my books. I'll field offers, and when the right one comes along I'll accept. Until then I'm happy to hold on to the items.

Isn't capitalism untimely just a push/pull between what markets will bear and what consumers will pay?

He's doing his part in the pushing.

They have been extremely aggressive with pricing related to OA and SS books for quite a while now. They have turned down some offers that made me :o

I have spent quite a bit of time with Tony and Kara at a couple of shows this year. I think they are awesome. Their attitudes toward art and SS are what they are. They are not going to sell except at prices that will never make them feel like they were shorted.

That attitude will not make them popular with folks that want to buy the art at more market driven prices, and it virtually insures that much of it will not sell. Anyone that thinks airing this type of "grievance" is going to get them to relent, doesn't know them very well. lol

I don't begrudge anyone in this industry to go for the longball when a project is successful and goes mainstream. And the other thing to consider is that with Adlard art there are 20 more pages available every month. There is not going to be any more Tony Moore Walking Dead OA.

They have been extremely aggressive with pricing related to OA and SS books for quite a while now. They have turned down some offers that made me :o

I have spent quite a bit of time with Tony and Kara at a couple of shows this year. I think they are awesome. Their attitudes toward art and SS are what they are. They are not going to sell except at prices that will never make them feel like they were shorted.

That attitude will not make them popular with folks that want to buy the art at more market driven prices, and it virtually insures that much of it will not sell. Anyone that thinks airing this type of "grievance" is going to get them to relent, doesn't know them very well. lol

I don't begrudge anyone in this industry to go for the longball when a project is successful and goes mainstream. And the other thing to consider is that with Adlard art there are 20 more pages available every month. There is not going to be any more Tony Moore Walking Dead OA.

You said it nicer than I did. I need to work on my communication skills. hm

You're too old to change gramps

You're too old to change gramps

I'm shooting for two of the old man titles..."Crotchety" or "Dirty"

We'll see which one sticks. :popcorn:

I agree, he can price his carp how ever he wants, it's his carp after all.

But then don't write carp like:

Above all, the fact is, these pages are very dear to me personally, and the price tag is what it takes to get me to allow them to leave my personal possession.

Because they sure seem to have become dearer with the tv shows success.

Considering you could purchase most marvel first appearances and #1's for that kind of money (and in nice grades) I would say the pricing is aggressive at best. They can ask what they want, but I have a feeling most of that art will be in their posession long after the series cools off at those prices.

Have you ever had anything made into a TV show?

As an artist, I can say that if something I drew were made into a TV show, it would damn well be dear to me, and in order for me to part with it there would have to be a substantial sum offered to me.

So, I say it's 100% heartfelt. It doesn't cost him anything to own it. It's his.

I don't understand why people think the artist doesn't have a right to keep something if he wants to. If you want it, offer stupid money for it, but he doesn't have to sell it.

As an artist, I can say that if something I drew were made into a TV show, it would damn well be dear to me, and in order for me to part with it there would have to be a substantial sum offered to me.

So, I say it's 100% heartfelt. It doesn't cost him anything to own it. It's his.

I don't understand why people think the artist doesn't have a right to keep something if he wants to. If you want it, offer stupid money for it, but he doesn't have to sell it.

This is exactly right. They were speaking on Sunday about the page that has the zombie woman and the bicycle, where Rick goes back to mercy kill it. They got a ton of inquiries on that page after the show aired. It was so well done and central to the plot and tracks the OA quite a bit.

Now that that piece has been immortalized in television history (that sounds way more melodramatic than I intended) it seems logical that, as an artist one would want to keep it more, and only stupid money would pry it out of one's hands.

The point, Steve, is that it wasn't so near and dear to his heart until after the television show was broadcast. Apparently, affection has a price that fluctuates with Nielsen rating popularity.

This is exactly right. They were speaking on Sunday about the page that has the zombie woman and the bicycle, where Rick goes back to mercy kill it. They got a ton of inquiries on that page after the show aired. It was so well done and central to the plot and tracks the OA quite a bit.

Now that that piece has been immortalized in television history (that sounds way more melodramatic than I intended) it seems logical that, as an artist one would want to keep it more, and only stupid money would pry it out of one's hands.

did it sell sean? it's not on the website.