• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

If he would have said something in the lines of I want to make as much money as I can while the kettle is hot. Perfect,an honest answer.

Not saying you would..but then some one would start a thread saying how much of a greedy Moore is and is just trying to get as much $ out of the fans as possible.

Tony is in a lose lose situation :tonofbricks:

What are you doing with this whole thread including this post, other than presuming to know something about someone that you don't even know, and then suggesting that his statements are not sincere and judging his motives?

If you had the opportunity to purchase pieces before this, why didn't you? Why is it only now that you think "it was time to finally own a piece of Tony Moore's OA."

I think we can all assume these pieces of OA were personal to Mr. Moore prior to the TV show airing on 10-31-2010, so now that the show is popular he "personally" jacked up the prices 5x his original asking prices. I don't have a problem with that cause he can do what he wants, but we have the right to think he is nuts asking those prices.

Again the problem I have is hiding behind a mascaraed of that personal to me bull line he threw out to justify the pricing structure. They were personal before the show, so just tell me you want to make as much money as you can while the opportunity is there. That's all.

To justify any of reason is just nuts.

To answer your question about why I didn't buy any of his work before. The simple answer they were over priced back then at the old prices. This time as a fan i was just going to bite the bullet and pick one really nice piece to buy, but now that is not going to be possible.

He is coming off like he is a living legend on par with Jim Lee or Todd McFarland as far as Modern Artists go, which he isn't even close obviously.

Charlie Adlard has done more for the book, and his prices are stable and fair, so I will just be adding more of OA in addition to ones I already have.

So you believe everything you read? :eyeroll:

No, but I also don't immediately assume every person is a liar either. We're all emotionally attached to something we collect, but for the many things that we collect there is usually a price. There's nothing wrong with that.

That doesn't mean he'd sell out his family, it just means that there is a $ amount that will allow him to release a piece, knowing

a) that somebody will appreciate it that much and

b) that he will be able to replace that piece by doing something substantial with the money that he receives for it. Something that he feels will be able to replace the piece that he traded for it.

Unfortunately, $ is the usual way to do things now a days now that bartering and trading commodities has slipped into the past so as soon as somebody wants a "lot" of money they are greedy or lying.

Maybe if he had a latex fetish he'd happily trade the art for an S+M business but nobody has come along with the right offer yet.

Who knows? Who cares?

:baiting:

If he would have said something in the lines of I want to make as much money as I can while the kettle is hot. Perfect,an honest answer.

Not saying you would..but then some one would start a thread saying how much of a greedy Moore is and is just trying to get as much $ out of the fans as possible.

Tony is in a lose lose situation :tonofbricks:

I personally have more respect if someone is just upfront in general, so I think he wins more than he loses in that case.

Look no one is saying the guy isn't a nice person or that these pieces of OA are dear to him, of course they are. (thumbs u

if he would have just set again something in the lines of i want to really capitalize on these pieces now while I still have and their hot, well more power to yea. I would have just privately said wow these prices are insane and just moved on.

The whole personal is the cop out to me.

I still enjoy his work and still am fan, just calling bull on this that's all.

No, but I also don't immediately assume every person is a liar either. We're all emotionally attached to something we collect, but for the many things that we collect there is usually a price. There's nothing wrong with that.

That doesn't mean he'd sell out his family, it just means that there is a $ amount that will allow him to release a piece, knowing

a) that somebody will appreciate it that much and

b) that he will be able to replace that piece by doing something substantial with the money that he receives for it. Something that he feels will be able to replace the piece that he traded for it.

Unfortunately, $ is the usual way to do things now a days now that bartering and trading commodities has slipped into the past so as soon as somebody wants a "lot" of money they are greedy or lying.

Maybe if he had a latex fetish he'd happily trade the art for an S+M business but nobody has come along with the right offer yet.

Who knows? Who cares?

Roy you have seen CGC books that you wanted to buy that the asking price was so high that you like WTF in your brian because we all have that right to do just as they have the right to ask whatever dumb price they.

How come I can see you starting an S&M store. lol

taking advantage of the show's hype to the point of jacking the prices up to legendary status (which he is not),

A sucker is born everyday, so maybe he will get lucky.

Hasn't it occurred to you that he might just be saying that to hype up his own work or to maybe give false justification for his new prices. Maybe or maybe not?

How many people on the boards over hype their garbage to justify their insulting asking price.

What he said was total and utter bull.

He is coming off like he is a living legend on par with Jim Lee or Todd McFarland as far as Modern Artists go, which he isn't even close obviously.

Charlie Adlard has done more for the book,

Wow, why did you ever want a piece of Moore art in the first place? That's a serious question.

So, if you dislike this guy so much to the point of assuming so much in a negative light about his character and motivations, if you think he's so over-rated, if you think the art isn't all that great, then why did you want a piece in the first place?

It seems like an awful lot of work and emotion for something you are trying to now bring down brick by brick.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but you might have missed it. There are plenty of pieces of artwork that have asking prices today that are 3 times, 4 times, 5 times, their asking price of just a couple of years ago. It's the OA market, that's how it goes when you are dealing with items that are one of a kind. That's why it's nice that no one is forced to buy anything.

It's all relative. The guy who just bought that Lichtenstein for $42.6 million loves his new piece of artwork I would bet.

I am just trying to wrap my head around your motivation for starting this thread. What did you hope to accomplish?

In the last 12 months, I've moved into OA over comics, and I agree that this market is waaaaay different than comic books. Honestly, if I wanted one of these pieces I would save and save and pay the man's price. In my humble opinion, OA is awesome because of the one of a kind nature of the work. I take him at his word when he says that these pieces are dear to him. Every artist I've had the fortune of communicating with has had a deep care for their work. It's again, one of the cool parts of collecting originals. Take the guy at his word.

Dan

That's certainly possible and I agree that there is always a price. But then the money is the ultimate driving factor. If you didn't want to sell don't even price the items, just accept offers or say, they aren't for sale. So while I agree that it's possible that he doesn't "really" want to move them, I bristle at the notion that he somehow "loves" them.

I agree. But you ought to be consistent. What do you say about a "collector" who claims he "loves" his art, but then always ends up selling it? It's "ultimately all about the money", right? The guy I'm talking about is someone you know very well. So you'll either feel this same indignation, or it's only reserved for Moore (and other people you don't know).

to me the whole "no body is putting a gun to your head" statements I always find really defensive, I think we see it posted quite offen. Usually by people who feel like they have been found out charging quite a bit for something. It is very easy just to say thank you for your interest, I feel these prices are appropriate at this time.

Sure they are right, their stuff, sell it if they want to. There were very few Zombie scenes when I looked through them.

Its no different from those of "us" letting their ASM's go when the movie comes out, or releasing Jonah Hexs or Green Lanterns around the time there is some buzz. The TV show attracts a lot of interest, just need some bonus types to start looking into OA and comics and you have a sale.

That means that he is basically saying that the art work is selling at the new prices.

I am not as connected as some but I try to find out as much as I can about Walking Dead oa and I don't see anything selling for those prices. Personally, I think he is being disingenuous.

taking advantage of the show's hype to the point of jacking the prices up to legendary status (which he is not),

A sucker is born everyday, so maybe he will get lucky.

Hasn't it occurred to you that he might just be saying that to hype up his own work or to maybe give false justification for his new prices. Maybe or maybe not?

How many people on the boards over hype their garbage to justify their insulting asking price.

What he said was total and utter bull.

Charlie Adlard has done more for the book,

Wow, why did you ever want a piece of Moore art in the first place? That's a serious question.

So, if you dislike this guy so much to the point of assuming so much in a negative light about his character and motivations, if you think he's so over-rated, if you think the art isn't all that great, then why did you want a piece in the first place?

It seems like an awful lot of work and emotion for something you are trying to now bring down brick by brick.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but you might have missed it. There are plenty of pieces of artwork that have asking prices today that are 3 times, 4 times, 5 times, their asking price of just a couple of years ago. It's the OA market, that's how it goes when you are dealing with items that are one of a kind. That's why it's nice that no one is forced to buy anything.

It's all relative. The guy who just bought that Lichtenstein for $42.6 million loves his new piece of artwork I would bet.

I am just trying to wrap my head around your motivation for starting this thread. What did you hope to accomplish?

To call BS when I see it. (thumbs u

I am a fan of his work, and still am. His head just needs to let some of the air out of the balloon a little before it explodes.

I am done posting in this thread cause most people have seen my point, and if you are on the other side that's cool to.

take care,

John

Roy you have seen CGC books that you wanted to buy that the asking price was so high that you like WTF in your brian because we all have that right to do just as they have the right to ask whatever dumb price they.

Sure, many of them are listed in my eBay store.

Honestly, some of the more beautiful books I price a little stronger because I'm a little more attached to them. When the right offer comes along (I currently have 2 deals in the works on two key books) then I am ready to move on. Had I sold them cheaper I wouldn't have been as satisfied as these two offers.

Some personalities are just like that, usually the artistic ones. They're tortured people who just push and pull with themselves until they are ready to let something go.

As far as the S+M place? Do you think it's worth two ASM books and a JLA #1?

hm

The only reason those prices are so high started on 10-31-2010 at 10pm EST.

That's probably true. But it appears you weren't interested enough to buy any before then, either.

Please read the entire thread as I said I was but even the pre-show prices were outrageous when I inquired about them.

I was just going to bite the bullet and buy one, but at his new prices I would be throwing money out the window for free for his "personal selling justification." doh!

Okay now I am really done, later. ;)

to me the whole "no body is putting a gun to your head" statements I always find really defensive, I think we see it posted quite offen. Usually by people who feel like they have been found out charging quite a bit for something. It is very easy just to say thank you for your interest, I feel these prices are appropriate at this time.

How about when it's in response to someone telling you that you are asking Jack Kirby money and you are no Jack Kirby?

It's extremely delicate and difficult to negotiate prices on artwork with that artwork's creator. Trying to get a better price without telling them their sense of self worth is misplaced in incredibly difficult for the most diplomatic of people, and from what I have read in this thread this was not the most diplomatically of handled situations.

First rule of price negotiation with an artist...NEVER EVER compare their art or their prices with any other artist or prices. You are just asking for trouble and for a response like the "nobody is putting a gun to your head".

Think of it as your new girlfriend feeling free to compare your manhood to her last boyfriend's manhood. Unless she puts you in the "tree trunk" category the conversation is going downhill fast.

This is something Moore should consider. How are people going to view him now? I like Moore's art on TWD waaay better than Adlard's and this has left me with a sour taste. It feels like he is jerking us around. We didn't ask him about the art. He contacted us about it and then practically insulted us with the pricing.

How about when it's in response to someone telling you that you are asking Jack Kirby money and you are no Jack Kirby?

It's extremely delicate and difficult to negotiate prices on artwork with that artwork's creator. Trying to get a better price without telling them their sense of self worth is misplaced in incredibly difficult for the most diplomatic of people, and from what I have read in this thread this was not the most diplomatically of handled situations.

First rule of price negotiation with an artist...NEVER EVER compare their art or their prices with any other artist or prices. You are just asking for trouble and for a response like the "nobody is putting a gun to your head".

Think of it as your new girlfriend feeling free to compare your manhood to her last boyfriend's manhood. Unless she puts you in the "tree trunk" category the conversation is going downhill fast.

you are completely right.

I did reply back after reading word of the prices, and said basically these prices are in line with Jack Kirby OA.

I am not trying to pile on you but how exactly did you picture the rest of this conversation to go?

If you've bought OA directly from an artist you've got to know it's the conversational equivalent of a head shot zombie, right?

As far as the S+M place? Do you think it's worth two ASM books and a JLA #1?

hm

Ill have to get back to you on that Im a little tied up right now.