• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

Everyone's opinions are great but can I borrow $12,000 I need a Tony More Page in my collection :shy:

I also emailed Kara and was surprised with the prices but its America he can charge what ever he wants..and we as consumers can purchase them or choose not too.

And me personally I love Tony Moore's response and can not wait to meet him in person seems like a great guy to have some beers with :headbang:

Also this doesn't help with prices of Moore's OA

Moore Sketch on Ebay

Everyone's opinions are great but can I borrow $12,000 I need a Tony More Page in my collection :shy:

I also emailed Kara and was surprised with the prices but its America he can charge what ever he wants..and we as consumers can purchase them or choose not too.

And me personally I love Tony Moore's response and can not wait to meet him in person seems like a great guy to have some beers with :headbang:

Moore Sketch on Ebay

I saw that auction. An $80-100 personalized con sketch is already at $400. The world has gone mad I tell you. :ohnoez:

Does anybody know what the other Walking Dead artist Charlie Adlard

charges for his OA hm

I like to do a comparision.

There are 6 issues of Moore art.

There is 70+ issues of Adlard art.

There will never be another page of Moore art.

Tomorrow, there will be two more pages of Adlard art.

Moore's art rocks.

Adlard's art sucked in the beginning, and sucks just as hard now.

That's about all the comparison you can do with the two artists. Trying to compare prices is apples and oranges.

That post makes no sense.

How do you know Moore won't do any more Walking Dead in the future?

If you think Adlard sucks that's fine, but a lot of people including myself view Charlie's work is much more darker and suitable for the comic book.

Especially since Moore only did 6 Issues of the book makes me stand firm he is over rated in every way possible.

Foolkiller made some good points. He can ask what ever he wants, but we have to right to criticize such prices as anything but TV show hype in trying to capitalize off the show as much as possible. That thinking is totally fine, but don't blow smoke up my butt using the lame personal line.

Sorry if I or any other seller said something like that the pitch-forks would be out by you as well.

the comments about his art being very personal to justify the rise in price seems a bit superficial. would be better to just say in light of the market, the pieces are priced as such.

Yup, at least with that I would still would have laughed at the prices privately, but wouldn't have been annoyed.

Because they sure seem to have become dearer with the tv shows success.

Have you ever had anything made into a TV show?

As an artist, I can say that if something I drew were made into a TV show, it would damn well be dear to me, and in order for me to part with it there would have to be a substantial sum offered to me.

So, I say it's 100% heartfelt. It doesn't cost him anything to own it. It's his.

I don't understand why people think the artist doesn't have a right to keep something if he wants to. If you want it, offer stupid money for it, but he doesn't have to sell it.

The point, Steve, is that it wasn't so near and dear to his heart until after the television show was broadcast. Apparently, affection has a price that fluctuates with Nielsen rating popularity.

Right, basically, it's just hypocrisy on his part. And frankly, that's what's so distasteful. It's claiming that he really "loves" it when that's not really true, he just wants to get more money, and while that's not problematic in and of itself, it's a little hard to believe that it's driven by anything else. Instead of saying that it's about his love of the art, just say what it is, I want to get paid more now that it's popular. It's like Clemens or any other athlete who claimed that the reason they left their team was for anything other than the money.

Nobody thinks he's going to relent, and frankly I hope he ends up with getting his wish, stuck with it.

Let it rest, Tony and Kara are great people.

Sorry but them being nice people has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Especially if this same situation was a different person who you don't know you might have a different opinion on the matter entirely.

Wow! and I thought Moore's art was expensive before!

I remember looking at Fear Agent Pages that were priced $500 or so at Heroes con like 3 years ago. and that was too much at that time for me!

Especially considering that his art blows. The art is pedestrian at best. Significant only because of the story IMO

Dale, lol

I find it humorous that people think it's ok for Tony to price not to sell, but they'll be quick to mock ebayers that does the same, say a WD #1 SS fx

Go ahead and buy from blackstarcomics, you two dingleberries are perfect for each other.

Dude, they're his pages. He can charge whatever he wants for them. You can buy them, or not. Why would you be upset about it unless you maybe you were interested in picking up pieces that you originally thought were too high, and flipping them for a profit now that the demand is up. Just a guess on my part.

Walking Dead is hotter than hell right now and being a co-creator, has every right to cash in on it in any way he sees fit. If anyone makes a buck off the pages, he damn well should be the one to do it.

I agree that he has a right to charge whatever he wants for the pages, but, at these prices, he just wasted the time of John and anyone else who took the time to browse the listings and e-mail for prices in the reasonable expectation that prices would at least somewhat reflect market reality (which they do not). I'd be pizzed too if I had wasted my valuable time reviewing the scans and inquiring for prices and received back prices that were multiples of fair value (and no one has ever accused me of being a flipper, given I've never done so in 8 years of art collecting). I have to agree with John as well - if these are so dear and difficult to let go, why were they available for sale until recently at fractions of the current asking prices? (shrug)

All these :screwy: prices make me want to do is buy more Adlard WD art. Just received the cover to the WD Omnibus Vol. 2 this week (see below) - for a "mere" $2,500...not enough to buy TMoore's throwaways now. :blush:

First off nice piece of OA Gene as I wanted to buy that piece, but I saw that it sold.

Congrats. :applause:

Look I have no problem with anyone making some money when they can at a given opportunity. The only reason those prices are so high started on 10-31-2010 at 10pm EST. For anyone to think otherwise is just kidding themselves

Going forward I am just going to stick with Adlard's work as he has been on the book almost the entire time, and I actually like his work as it's much darker and intense than Moore's work.

Your statement in bold above is how I feel as well.

Moore Sketch on Ebay

I saw that auction. An $80-100 personalized con sketch is already at $400. The world has gone mad I tell you. :ohnoez:

You think I could get a grand for my Michonne sketch?

I remember looking at Fear Agent Pages that were priced $500 or so at Heroes con like 3 years ago. and that was too much at that time for me!

Especially considering that his art blows. The art is pedestrian at best. Significant only because of the story IMO

Some people would say the same about Ditko or Kirby.

(shrug)

:o

Some people would say the same about Ditko or Kirby.

(shrug)

:o

Well, I wouldn't.

(tsk)

As an artist, I can say that if something I drew were made into a TV show, it would damn well be dear to me, and in order for me to part with it there would have to be a substantial sum offered to me.

So, I say it's 100% heartfelt. It doesn't cost him anything to own it. It's his.

I don't understand why people think the artist doesn't have a right to keep something if he wants to. If you want it, offer stupid money for it, but he doesn't have to sell it.

The point, Steve, is that it wasn't so near and dear to his heart until after the television show was broadcast. Apparently, affection has a price that fluctuates with Nielsen rating popularity.

Right, basically, it's just hypocrisy on his part. And frankly, that's what's so distasteful. It's claiming that he really "loves" it when that's not really true, he just wants to get more money, and while that's not problematic in and of itself, it's a little hard to believe that it's driven by anything else. Instead of saying that it's about his love of the art, just say what it is, I want to get paid more now that it's popular. It's like Clemens or any other athlete who claimed that the reason they left their team was for anything other than the money.

Nobody thinks he's going to relent, and frankly I hope he ends up with getting his wish, stuck with it.

Sorry but them being nice people has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Especially if this same situation was a different person who you don't know you might have a different opinion on the matter entirely.

This whole thread just seems to me like someone griping because they can't buy a piece of Tony's original WD artwork for the prices he had them at a year ago and flip it themselves for a quick profit.

Tony lived here in Kansas City for a while and we used to go to the same comic shop. I don't really know him personally, but I did have several conversations with him about his artwork. He has always had pieces that he would prefer to keep priced higher. His stance regarding his artwork has always been the same. Now, because of the TV show, the demand has gone up and therefore the market will bear more in terms of dollars. Artwork he had priced at $2000+ a year ago, would now probably sell very quickly at that price, therefore, he needs to raise his prices on the pieces he would prefer to keep. That's all it appears he has done.

I think this whole thread is ridiculous. Truly.

I find it humorous that people think it's ok for Tony to price not to sell, but they'll be quick to mock ebayers that does the same, say a WD #1 SS fx

Go ahead and buy from blackstarcomics, you two dingleberries are perfect for each other.

I knew it was a mistake to reply to your post, but yours just happend to be the last one at the time.

Pirate, i don't know what stick is up your butt, but maybe if i give you a BIG HUG you could un-clinch your a hole long enough for me to remove it....

This whole thread just seems to me like someone griping because they can't buy a piece of Tony's original WD artwork for the prices he had them at a year ago and flip it themselves for a quick profit.

Tony lived here in Kansas City for a while and we used to go to the same comic shop. I don't really know him personally, but I did have several conversations with him about his artwork. He has always had pieces that he would prefer to keep priced higher. His stance regarding his artwork has always been the same. Now, because of the TV show, the demand has gone up and therefore the market will bear more in terms of dollars. Artwork he had priced at $2000+ a year ago, would now probably sell very quickly at that price, therefore, he needs to raise his prices on the pieces he would prefer to keep. That's all it appears he has done.

Your dead wrong about the flipping thing dude.

Please don't tell me why I was interested in the pieces for future conversation.

I wanted to own just one piece of his WD OA for my collection, and felt talked down to when someone uses the "personal line," to justify their over hyped inflated prices.

There is nothing wrong with raising prices (even though pre-show they were still over priced :eyeroll: ), however what is ridiculous is taking advantage of the show's hype to the point of jacking the prices up to legendary status (which he is not), and expect to hide that view behind a BS "these pieces are too personal" cop out stance.

Your dead wrong about the flipping thing dude.

Please don't tell me why I was interested in the pieces for future conversation.

I wanted to own just one piece of his WD OA for my collection, and felt talked down to when someone uses the "personal line," to justify their over hyped inflated prices.

There is nothing wrong with raising prices (even though pre-show they were still over priced :eyeroll: ), however what is ridiculous is taking advantage of the show's hype to the point of jacking the prices up to legendary status (which he is not), and expect to hide that view behind a BS "these pieces are too personal" cope out stance.

What are you doing with this whole thread including this post, other than presuming to know something about someone that you don't even know, and then suggesting that his statements are not sincere and judging his motives?

If you had the opportunity to purchase pieces before this, why didn't you? Why is it only now that you think "it was time to finally own a piece of Tony Moore's OA."

He has a right to charge whatever he wants. It's his work.

Speaking from personal experience, I believe he is being completely sincere when he says that he has an attachment to certain pieces. I purchased a piece of artwork from him 4 years ago and could tell that he was having serious reservations about selling it, not because he wasn't getting enough money for it, but because he really liked the piece - it was an homage to Wally Wood. I told him he could come over to my apartment any time he wanted and see it hanging on my wall.

There is nothing wrong with raising prices (even though pre-show they were still over priced :eyeroll: ), however what is ridiculous is taking advantage of the show's hype to the point of jacking the prices up to legendary status (which he is not), and expect to hide that view behind a BS "these pieces are too personal" cope out stance.

John, you're missing the most important part of this discussion. You don't like his prices but you quote his email which clearly says:

Nobody's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it. While these prices may be distasteful to you, the market elsewhere is bearing them out.

That means that he is basically saying that the art work is selling at the new prices.

The art is priced higher than you want to pay but according to him others are buying it.

I really don't get the point behind starting this thread. To call out the guy as an emotional d00shy when it comes to his own artwork?

(shrug)

John, you're missing the most important part of this discussion. You don't like his prices but you quote his email which clearly says:

Nobody's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it. While these prices may be distasteful to you, the market elsewhere is bearing them out.

That means that he is basically saying that the art work is selling at the new prices.

The art is priced higher than you want to pay but according to him others are buying it.

I really don't get the point behind starting this thread. To call out the guy as an emotional d00shy when it comes to his own artwork?

(shrug)

Now he is making it seem like they are selling at those prices. lol

They will sit just like they did prior to the show airing.

A sucker is born everyday, so maybe he will get lucky.

So you believe everything you read? :eyeroll:

Hasn't it occurred to you that he might just be saying that to hype up his own work or to maybe give false justification for his new prices. Maybe or maybe not?

How many people on the boards over hype their garbage to justify their insulting asking price.

If he would have said something in the lines of I want to make as much money as I can while the kettle is hot. Perfect,an honest answer.

What he said was total and utter bull.