• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a book (pt 3!)

29 posts in this topic

Hope you've seen this auction Banner, this could be TGC 27_laughing.gif Can you beleive it, JZ-thepimp is selling his prized book on Ebay with no reserve 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Lets all chant: TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC TGC

oh, right...the Crash!

I totally forgot about it. How was it?

It was great.

That 9.6 Spidey 1 sold last week for $47.85 news.gif

This is turning out to be a hell of a flip.

popcorn.gif

oh, right...the Crash!

It was great.

popcorn.gif

Oh great!

I can pick up a FF 1 9.4 for about $60.00 and some change then eh?

devil.gif

oh, right...the Crash!

It was great.

popcorn.gif

Oh great!

devil.gif

No. TGC was *last* week.

Prices are back up this week.

makepoint.gif

oh, right...the Crash!

It was great.

popcorn.gif

Oh great!

devil.gif

No. TGC was *last* week.

Prices are back up this week.

makepoint.gif

foreheadslap.gif

No wonder JPmint pulled it then! 27_laughing.gif

Now all I have to do is come up with $150,000 dollars, or do you think it will go higher than that????893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Won't even come close to $150k. If someone were willing to pay $150k, they could have just hit the BIN anytime when it was listed in JP's eBay Store listing.

How many of those bids do you figure are legitimate? I would guess that on a book like this, more than half of them are thrill bids... I wonder where this book would end if there were no such thing as thrill bidding? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How many of those bids do you figure are legitimate? I would guess that on a book like this, more than half of them are shill bids... I wonder where this book would end if there were no such thing as shill bidding? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you mean "thrill" bid or "shill" bid? I define a thrill bid as a harmless lowball bid with no real intention of winning but no real malicious intent either, put in just for the thrill of being part of the action. In contrast, a shill bid is not harmless, because it's someone working in collusion with the seller to artificially drive the price up. And then there are those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who win with massive bids but with no intention of every paying, just to cause mischief--they are neither thrill bidders because they're not harmless, nor shill bidders because they're not in collusion with the seller.

I do think most of the bids so far are thrill bids, and will give JP the benefit of the doubt that none appear to be shill bids (yet). Thrill bids generally drive the price in the early stages of an auction, but ultimately are irrelevant because they are far below where the real bidders are going to set their bids. So if your question is whether the price is higher NOW because of thrill bidders, the answer is probably yes, but they will have absolutely no bearing on where the price will be in 8 days and 22 hours.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many of those bids do you figure are legitimate? I would guess that on a book like this, more than half of them are shill bids... I wonder where this book would end if there were no such thing as shill bidding?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you mean "thrill" bid or "shill" bid? I define a thrill bid as a harmless lowball bid with no real intention of winning but no real malicious intent either, put in just for the thrill of being part of the action. In contrast, a shill bid is not harmless, because it's someone working in collusion with the seller to artificially drive the price up. And then there are those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who win with massive bids but with no intention of every paying, just to cause mischief--they are neither thrill bidders because they're not harmless, nor shill bidders because they're not in collusion with the seller.

I do think most of the bids so far are thrill bids, and will give JP the benefit of the doubt that none appear to be shill bids (yet). Thrill bids generally drive the price in the early stages of an auction, but ultimately are irrelevant because they are far below where the real bidders are going to set their bids. So if your question is whether the price is higher NOW because of thrill bidders, the answer is probably yes, but they will have absolutely no bearing on where the price will be in 8 days and 22 hours.

Whoops! Sorry my mistake. Meant to say Thrill bids not Shill bids but had been awake too long without sleep smile.gif

now i'm curious to know what other board members think will happen here?? with $100k bid and no reserve, will this book sell or get pulled if it doesn't get to the $125+ range?? 893whatthe.gif

Good question? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

FYI - the book was purchased for $92k thru Heritage a year ago ( link). gossip.gif