• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Grade, Red Labels?

10 posts in this topic

So I am relatively new to the boards...a little over a year and a half now.

Every once and a while I come across a slab in an auction on eBay or here on the boards for a book with a Red Label with a title of Modern Grade.

When and why did CGC have this particular category? When did they stop doing it? What exactly was the purpose of distinguishing the moderns from other ages?

...and why didn't they have labels for copper, bronze silver and golden. It could have been like Green Lantern, all different colors and such... :grin:

When and why did CGC have this particular category?

The first year or so that they were in business.

When did they stop doing it?

After the first year or so that they were in business.

What exactly was the purpose of distinguishing the moderns from other ages?

None, and they realized it after the fact. In 10-15 years, the 1975-1995 books that were in "Modern" slabs wouldn't be considered moderns anymore.

...and why didn't they have labels for copper, bronze silver and golden.

Because it was a noob idea and they've luckily learned from their mistakes.

Any of you guys remember the chaos that came about when they switched the label design and took off the alpha grade?

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you. lol

It's interesting to note that, back then, a 9.4 on these books was considered a win. Now a Modern in 9.4 is considered a loser.

I do suspect that a lot of these red labeled 9.4's would grade higher today, especially if pressed, but why bother.

Since you hardly ever see these red labels up for sale where are they ? Are they getting rare, could they be collectible again someday ?

When and why did CGC have this particular category?

The first year or so that they were in business.

When did they stop doing it?

After the first year or so that they were in business.

What exactly was the purpose of distinguishing the moderns from other ages?

None, and they realized it after the fact. In 10-15 years, the 1975-1995 books that were in "Modern" slabs wouldn't be considered moderns anymore.

...and why didn't they have labels for copper, bronze silver and golden.

Because it was a noob idea and they've luckily learned from their mistakes.

Any of you guys remember the chaos that came about when they switched the label design and took off the alpha grade?

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you. lol

It coulda been much worse than just a red label ;)

"JC: I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, but when CGC first started up, did they really want to use "Wizard Age" on the red label books, instead of Modern Age?

I found this online:

"Gary Colombuano (Overstreet adviser) stated that while attending the Baltimore Overstreet conference last year, the CGC principals were introduced and got to do their sales pitch. They wished to refer to modern-age comics as "Wizard-Age" comics and have the term printed on their plastic holder. They were almost laughed out of the conference for it never occurred to them that it would be considered a negative to have Wizard's "seal of approval" on their plastic holders."

"Moondog: This story is absolutely true. Everyone in attendance groaned when they heard it then all the snickering started. Guys were rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. All the credibility that these coin guys brought to this meeting suddenly evaporated in a heartbeat.

One of the funniest moments happened when a Diamond rep in the audience asked if he could get the license for Golden Age books so they could be called "Diamond Age" books. At this point the place just went up for grabs!

Needless to say, Wizard Age and Diamond Age never materialized.

Sometimes reality is MUCH stranger than fiction! It was a surreal moment."

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=881992&Searchpage=1&Main=47752&Words=wizard+Moondog&topic=0&Search=true#Post881992