• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High For Sale List As Excel File

106 posts in this topic

Well, clearly I'm one of those people who has far too much time on their hands.

I took Chuck's original sale list and typed all 14,376 issues, grades and prices into an Excel file.

Odds are, there are a number of mistakes, however, because of the way I imputed everything (don't ask), mistakes are hopefully at a bare minimum.

Later, I'll share my observations - of which I have many.

I doubt there's anyone who would want to do this, but for forensic reasons, I'd be fascinated to see the list sorted by year. There are a number of things that strike me as peculiar and sorting them by year might clarify some things that make no sense to me.

Although it took a month, it was actually a fascinating project.

One note: there are actually TWO lists - one is found on Chuck's site and the other is the Chris Caira copy. Chuck's list is almost illegible so I worked off of the Caira copy. I discovered at the outset that there are books on Chuck's list that aren't contained on the other. However, I valued my eyesight and sanity so I chose to go with the Caira copy. (Thanks to nochips for sending me the list!)

At some point, I will compare the two and add the missing books, but in the meantime, I hope you find this new way of looking at the list as interesting as I did.

Finally, rather than sending it to every person who will want one, I need to find a way for people to link to it and download it.

Any suggestions?

Here's the link - I created it after the initial post.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxcDZSh...uthkey=COLy1pYN

Mark, if you have a google email account, you can easily upload the excel file as a publicly accessible google doc, and link it here. You could even make a copy of it publicly editable to allow others to correct mistakes.

edited to add -- I'd be happy to help set that up if you're interested.

Well, clearly I'm one of those people who has far too much time on their hands.

I took Chuck's original sale list and typed all 14,376 issues, grades and prices into an Excel file.

Odds are, there are a number of mistakes, however, because of the way I imputed everything (don't ask), mistakes are hopefully at a bare minimum.

Later, I'll share my observations - of which I have many.

I doubt there's anyone who would want to do this, but for forensic reasons, I'd be fascinated to see the list sorted by year. There are a number of things that strike me as peculiar and sorting them by year might clarify some things that make no sense to me.

Although it took a month, it was actually a fascinating project.

One note: there are actually TWO lists - one is found on Chuck's site and the other is the Chris Caira copy. Chuck's list is almost illegible so I worked off of the Caira copy. I discovered at the outset that there are books on Chuck's list that aren't contained on the other. However, I valued my eyesight and sanity so I chose to go with the Caira copy. (Thanks to nochips for sending me the list!)

At some point, I will compare the two and add the missing books, but in the meantime, I hope you find this new way of looking at the list as interesting as I did.

Finally, rather than sending it to every person who will want one, I need to find a way for people to link to it and download it.

Any suggestions?

....what a nice thing to do. People like you are what has caused our hobby to last so long. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ok, in addition to what Mark has graciously set up above, I've also taken the liberty of setting it up as viewable online in spreadsheet form:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?key=t38E8hV-zstWz8h2tlOKL9Q#gid=0

Just click the link and you can scroll through the data. If anybody wants edit access to this version let me know.

We could have a lot of fun building onto this, potentially. For example, wasn't someone tracking current cgc grades of mile highs for awhile?

Big thanks to MarkWoodcock for getting this into spreadsheet form and sharing it. Could be very useful over the long term.

Total asking price for what is listed is $414,984. a small fortune back then!!

and with many of the huge key books already scooped out, the actual total was much higher. Factor in his 100% (or close to it) sell-through, it is not surprising he built a lucrative business out of this that lasts to this day

how many years do you think it took Chuck to sell them all ciorac??

not counting the key books he kept & some odds & ends, I can tell you it was something on the order of 10 years or more, so the prices he achieved are even higher than that list in total.

Chuck has written that he made about $2million off the Church books (not counting the latest "$1 million" set of books he has for sale). The Mile High II deal has, according to him, been more lucrative.

An observation:

It makes sense many of the key titles have been picked over, however I found it extremely interesting that Atlas westerns are sparse - especially considering that Church was a fan of westerns and how many western titles there were.

I suspect because they were so cheap that someone wiped him out of those at the very beginning.

There are thousands of books in the $2-7 dollar range so I can only image lots of people spent a couple hundred bucks and walked away with stacks of books.

Furthermore, these books were absorbed into collections before the whole "pedigree" thing was even on anyone's radar so they're still sitting in people's collections without them realizing they're Church copies. They just think they're beautiful copies.

Unless you've seen lots of them and are familiar with their very unique aroma you won't know they're Church copies. They're still out there to be found.

It's interesting that the only Mile High I own was already sold at the time of this list.....a lowly 6.5 copy of Airboy Comics V 10 # 3. The Bat 1 in NM for 3600 was very pricey for those days. I'd certainly snag that Amazing Man 22 in NM+ for 30 bucks. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u