• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High For Sale List As Excel File

106 posts in this topic

OBSERVATION

I suspect that there are many books in the list that didn't actually come from the Church collection.

There are MANY duplicates where the second book is a lower grade. It would have made sense for Chuck to include lower grade books from his own stock because, at the time, no one cared about pedigrees the way they do now and who cares if a VG book is a Church book or not. Furthermore, the duplicate books tend to be inconsequential titles. You never see two copies of Marvel Mystery where one is high grade and the other VG - it's a title like Cookie. Why would he buy two issues of THAT title?

You never see two copies of Marvel Mystery where one is high grade and the other VG - it's a title like Cookie. Why would he buy two issues of THAT title?

Because he was an eccentric.

Jon Verzyl and Ron Pussell are the best people to ask as both have dealt in thousands of Church copies. Church bought practically everything off the newstand. It takes no stretch of the imagination to come up with alternate explanations.

For example, that books were pulled for him and some were damaged and he then purchased or was given replacement copies. I have seen both copies of All American Western 121. They came through well-established chains of ownership and both were similarly incredibly well-preserved. It so happens that one has a defect making it a Fine but there's little doubt they are Church copies.

You never see two copies of Marvel Mystery where one is high grade and the other VG - it's a title like Cookie. Why would he buy two issues of THAT title?

Jon Verzyl and Ron Pussell are the best people to ask as both have dealt in thousands of Church copies. Church bought practically everything off the newstand. It takes no stretch of the imagination to come up with alternate explanations.

For example, that books were pulled for him and some were damaged and he then purchased or was given replacement copies. I have seen both copies of All American Western 121. They came through well-established chains of ownership and both were similarly incredibly well-preserved. It so happens that one has a defect making it a Fine but there's little doubt they are Church copies.

interesting

The other thought I have is if you are buying practically ever book on the newstand each month it would be real easy to end up with some duplicate copies since it would be difficult to keep track of everything you bought each and every month. Also a lot of the old newstands and stores were not real good in turning over their inventory and disposing of the old stuff each month. I remember this from personal experience and often viewing up to 3 in a row monthly issues of a title at one time on the newstand or in the spinner racks.

The other thought I have is if you are buying practically ever book on the newstand each month it would be real easy to end up with some duplicate copies since it would be difficult to keep track of everything you bought each and every month. Also a lot of the old newstands and stores were not real good in turning over their inventory and disposing of the old stuff each month. I remember this from personal experience and often viewing up to 3 in a row monthly issues of a title at one time on the newstand or in the spinner racks.

Yep. Many years ago a GA collection surfaced local to me where the gaps were almost always followed/preceded by a dupe of an adjacent issue. As you say, you hit the newsstand maybe once a month and that stuff is going to happen.

Some sick books in that list, Cap #74 NM+ when the next best copy that probably have surfaced publicly is a 7.5-8.0. :o I could go on and on down the list, what a sight it must have been to see all these books together. My only gripe is that I wish guys like Verzyl, Anderson would share scans of these books because they are too nice to be hidden away for decades.

Some sick books in that list, Cap #74 NM+ when the next best copy that probably have surfaced publicly is a 7.5-8.0. :o I could go on and on down the list, what a sight it must have been to see all these books together. My only gripe is that I wish guys like Verzyl, Anderson would share scans of these books because they are too nice to be hidden away for decades.

If I had those MH Timelys, it would be like an episode of the Twilight Zone.....I would go from the front of the stack to the back, over and over forever, unable to stop for work, food, sleep, or sex,.....until I turned into a skeleton and died. I suppose it's best I don't own them. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I would be a little wary of Chuck's grades, as the Church book I had is listed as a NM+ and CGC (correctly) graded it an 8.0

I would be a little wary of Chuck's grades, as the Church book I had is listed as a NM+ and CGC (correctly) graded it an 8.0

It may have been NM+ at the time he originally had it. He did assign a limited range of grades: vf, f, nm and nm+ and that could result in books that grade in between f and nm being under or overgraded.