• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 2000's Books

276 posts in this topic

OK, my turn.

The 1:10 Locke & Key: Welcome To Lovecraft Special Edition #1 Variant

specialedition.jpg

:acclaim:

These are hardly ever on eBay.

By my guess there were only 100-150 made and not many claimed because of the regular issue reprint's $6 price tag.

This book was so rare even I had no idea what the cover looked like until someone showed me. You cannot buy what you don't know exists, my 2c

:cloud9: glad someone brought up locke & key ... IMO even regular prints are hard to find as not many shops even order /know about the seires

That's going to change once FOX releases the Locke & Key TV series 2c
I definitely noticed an uptick of sales for raws on eBay. Jump on now. But, this Special Edition variant will be like the Target Exclusive Ultimate Spider-Man in my eyes. Just not enough to go around.

"Oh how about ...

Nyx #3 ?... Is that a 200x ?.. "

Not remotely hard to find. I've owned 2 copies and wasn't even looking for it per se. Typical 15-20,000 print-run/lower end of typical marvel titles book I assume, but that's still a decent # of copies. So a book that can pop price-wise now that it's hot, but copies will come out of the woodwork keeping it from getting too astonomical outside of 9.8 or higher.

Not saying it's destined to be a 50 cent/$1 box book (though that's where I got 2 copies!).

"Oh how about ...

Not remotely hard to find. I've owned 2 copies and wasn't even looking for it per se. Typical 15-20,000 print-run/lower end of typical marvel titles book I assume, but that's still a decent # of copies. So a book that can pop price-wise now that it's hot, but copies will come out of the woodwork keeping it from getting too astonomical outside of 9.8 or higher.

Not saying it's destined to be a 50 cent/$1 box book (though that's where I got 2 copies!).

then why can't i find any :pullhair:

"Oh how about ...

Seriously? There's about 15 copies on ebay right now :gossip:

It's the same with all the other books you mentioned - whether your local comic book store has copies of a book or not really doesn't have anything to do with the rarity of said book.

It's the same with all the other books you mentioned - whether your local comic book store has copies of a book or not really doesn't have anything to do with the rarity of said book.

Welcome to the internet :grin:

"Oh how about ...

i think we've had this discussion already.

there are plenty on ebay.

i don't anticipate finding another one in the cheap-o box again.

Ok so this has more to do wit print run that actual price value ?

not necessarily, but usually, yes. heck, most of your GA uber-keys that might be pretty rare now had big print-runs, it is unlikely to happen in this era unless a big print-run comic comes out where 99% of them spontaneously combust (or we have mandatory paper drives). it's hard to envision a scenario where, let's say, 10,000 people buy a comic and there aren't going to be some out there in the market.

or maybe a book that had a regular indie-level print-run (3-5,000 copies) but that was returnable, but only if the comic shop tore off half the cover and the book was a total bust on the rack. i can see a scenario where maybe there are very few intact copies out there and maybe demand going up a year later for some reason. this is purely hypothetical as i know of no situation where this ever occurred.

More to do with the ability to get one, disregarding price and in my opinion disregarding grade too. If there are a million copies of something on eBay, but you haven't found a raw 9.8 yet, or don't want to pay $3000 for one of the many slabbed 9.8's for sale right now, it's not a rare comic to me. If it comes up for sale no more than once a year and you look every day and have been for months or years, that is a difficult to find comic (thumbs u

Johnny Ryan's self published stuff is impossible to find if you aren't among the first 250-300 people to buy it. I don't know who buys that stuff but they aren't out trying to flip it on eBay.

More to do with the ability to get one, disregarding price and in my opinion disregarding grade too. If there are a million copies of something on eBay, but you haven't found a raw 9.8 yet, or don't want to pay $3000 for one of the many slabbed 9.8's for sale right now, it's not a rare comic to me. If it comes up for sale no more than once a year and you look every day and have been for months or years, that is a difficult to find comic (thumbs u

Johnny Ryan's self published stuff is impossible to find if you aren't among the first 250-300 people to buy it. I don't know who buys that stuff but they aren't out trying to flip it on eBay.

Exactly! (And I'm pretty sure this was all spelled out in the OP.)

Also, I buy Ryan's stuff when I can. Now you just need to meet the other 249.

Glad to see all the neat stuff-I really love seeing obscure stuff like the Dead @ 17 and the Dead Planet!

About the Phonogram 5, I only learned of it from the recalled website. I'm sure it was a pretty low print run to begin with, and has very limited desirability. But it is on the recalled registry set...I'm sure there's more than enough supply for any demand out there.

Recalled & pulped... I have no idea how accurate the info is over at recalledcomics.com, but they estimated about 125 exist. I have no idea on the value, I just loved finding it.

phonogram.jpg

phonogramb.jpg

Recalled in the UK AFTER it got to the shops.

The email from Diamond was the usual "Please destroy" which meant none were destroyed.

Most of the retailers I spoke to at the time didn't even know it was an error copy.

Granted, not many were ordered in the UK but I doubt your figure of 125 - 150 includes copies that made it over here?

Glad to see all the neat stuff-I really love seeing obscure stuff like the Dead @ 17 and the Dead Planet!

About the Phonogram 5, I only learned of it from the recalled website. I'm sure it was a pretty low print run to begin with, and has very limited desirability. But it is on the recalled registry set...I'm sure there's more than enough supply for any demand out there.

Recalled & pulped... I have no idea how accurate the info is over at recalledcomics.com, but they estimated about 125 exist. I have no idea on the value, I just loved finding it.

phonogram.jpg

phonogramb.jpg

The email from Diamond was the usual "Please destroy" which meant none were destroyed.

Most of the retailers I spoke to at the time didn't even know it was an error copy.

Granted, not many were ordered in the UK but I doubt your figure of 125 - 150 includes copies that made it over here?

There are seven of them on eBay right now - that can't be the same book, or is it?

It's doubtful, this one was recalled only due to the upc code on the back. This is issue #5, so the upc code should end in 511, not 411. That was the only reason it was recalled or not shipped. I've been wondering if the only copies out there were "preview" books that shipped early. I've been checking every copy I've come across, about 20 or so, and this was the only one that ended in 411 on the upc code, the rest were 511.

phonogram.jpg

phonogramb.jpg

There are seven of them on eBay right now - that can't be the same book, or is it?