• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 2000's Books

276 posts in this topic

I just thought of something. The Dark Horse retailer incentive hardcover versions of some of their trades. I know they made a Sin City one and I had the Lone Wolf And Cub one. The only thing I know about them is they had a red hardcover with gold embossing, came with a thank you card (mine was missing the card), and I NEVER see them for sale anywhere. Can't even get decent info on them. How many were printed, how many copies a retailer had to order to get one, and which titles beyond LW&C and Sin. City they did this with, I have no clue.

th_DSC01542.jpgth_DSC01543.jpgth_DSC01544.jpg

There is one for sale on eBay for $300, Can't find the Sin City one though.

Wow. Nice book!

The thing is though, Albedo #2 isn't hard to get, and the thread is called "hardest to find" comics. We all know where to find Albedo #2. some of us do care about the really hard to find stuff, can't we have just one thread? lol

I'll get some pics of something cool later for the thread ;)

Exactly, isn't the whole point of this thread about discussing the hardest to find books? Where did pricing, supply/demand, value became relevant in this thread at all? Someone talked about the Chaos limited edition 25 books, well if there aren't threads like this, where else are we gonna find information on those published books? CPG? No way.

Maybe someone in a few years down the road would like to complete a set of those (I admitted earlier on I had a couple) and he/she can reference this thread to find out that information to complete the list. Who's to say what demand will be for these in the future, if the price is $5 or $1000, it's irrelevant. And i personally like to find out about that rare stuff; in case I stumble upon something retarded rare (almost non-existent) that someone else may really really want to find (like RMA and his Maxx blacks).

Overstreet does'nt even have most of these books listed,whats up with that!

I remember contacting Overstreet about a particular comic title that they didn't have listed in the guide about 3-4 years ago. When I called, the gentleman who spoke to me was rather rude and basically said "Are you crazy? There's no way we could list all of the comic titles in our guide or it would be 6 inches thick!" Needless to say it was the last time I called them about anything. :/

Anyone else thinking of a new business venture? :)

I just thought of something. The Dark Horse retailer incentive hardcover versions of some of their trades. I know they made a Sin City one and I had the Lone Wolf And Cub one. The only thing I know about them is they had a red hardcover with gold embossing, came with a thank you card (mine was missing the card), and I NEVER see them for sale anywhere. Can't even get decent info on them. How many were printed, how many copies a retailer had to order to get one, and which titles beyond LW&C and Sin. City they did this with, I have no clue.

I've never seen any besides those two. They used to be easy to find. I would have been thrilled if they continued LW&C in that format for the entire series.

I've never seen any besides those two. They used to be easy to find. I would have been thrilled if they continued LW&C in that format for the entire series.

When I got it I thought that's what it was, I saw a picture online of an entire set but it turns out it was a custom bind job that matched this book perfectly. I sold this one at one of the previous VCC sales on the board. I got it off paperbackswap.com for a book credit, or three dollars cash value. :applause:

Here are a few more books to discuss. I have more but I save those for later.

THB: Comics from Mars #1

Rage #1 (Queer as Folk TV Show)

Hack/Slash #1

Promethea 32

Invincible #51 (2nd Print)

30 Days of Night Spiral bound Preview

Mouse Guard #1

Street Fighter (Udon) – Various issues

Amazing Spider-Man: New Ways To Die Hardcover (Anti-Venom Cover) NYCC Exclusive

Some Savage Dragon issues between #100 - 150

Invincible #2-5

I bought several copies of Hack Slash #1 for change just recently. Through eBay lots. I have the first one shot, a couple different covers of the first ongoing series. It's not really hard to get at all, not even expensive. Bought the sketch cover off here less than a year ago and if I remember correctly I paid under $5 for it.

The Mercy Sparx crossover is limited to 1000. I ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet, don't know if it ever will because I ordered it through DDP and they won't return an e-mail or update me on the status of the order I placed over a month ago :(

we should start a rarest book you own topic :) It would go nicely with the 9.9 & 10's topic :)

Is there such a thing as a rare modern?

that is what this entire topic is about isn't it ?..

(shrug) Is there such a thing as a rare vintage ?.... Seems like its more about price & grade with those to me than actual rarity doh!

"Where did pricing, supply/demand, value became relevant in this thread at all?"

Well, everywhere. If the Chaos! books limited to 25 copies started selling for $1000, all of a sudden they'd be a lot easier to find on ebay. But they wouldn't be "easy to find" in the sense that you'd pull one from a $1 bin. If we are disqualifying books that are available only for insanely high prices because they are "easy to find (one copy on ebay for $100+)" all we are left with are people's zines.

I'm new here, and I assumed incorrectly that this topic was about making a list of the most interesting under-the-radar books; the issues you should keep your eyes open for when scouring back issue bins. Books you have a chance of finding, but it won't be easy. The 30/35 cent price variants are a perfect (bronze age) example.

I would love to hear some modern examples in that vein.

The 30/35 cent price variants are a perfect (bronze age) example.

---------

some of the 35 cent (and maybe 30 cent) are brutally hard to find though, so they qualify on multiple levels.

I dunno, some folks have managed to give some examples. maybe a book that only shows up every 2-4 months on ebay would qualify.

why would the newstand edition of a big title like x-men be THAT hard to find? i understand it's what, 5% of the print run or something, but isn't that what they sell at Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc. etc. or am I wrong? Or were they not doing that in 2004/2005?

Of course, anything above a Fine is another story as every frigging comic in those places seems to be trashed. I wonder why they even try to sell them as it is pretty obvious people just go there and read them and trash them.