• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonight's The Night. . .

63 posts in this topic

that we find out if the Golden Age covers to Superman #14 and Detective Comics #69 find a new home after residing with Jerry Robinson for many decades. Of similar interest is the Kirby splash to X-Men #2, which also finds its auction ending on ComicConnect this evening.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how much these pieces might finally sell for? Will the last hour run-up for each of these items be as frenetic as they are in many other auctions? Did the high reserves affect the bidding process? And finally--will any of these pieces meet their reserves?

Superman #14 Cover

Detective Comics #69 Cover

X-Men #2 Splash

I can see none of them meeting reserve. Especially wouldn't be surprised to see he Tec 69 not sell. I think some valued that piece to high. I really don't think Jerry lives high on the hog I'm surpised he has held out for such high prices he should have sold with no reserve after the Batman 11 art sold and enjoyed the money.

If we are speculating, it wouldn't surprise me that in order to host the auction there was a guarantee that one of the pieces would sell for a predetermined price and that piece of art would then reside in the collection of someone who already owns a number of A1 pieces (and has an interest in the auction house site, itself).

If we are speculating, it wouldn't surprise me that in order to host the auction there was a guarantee that one of the pieces would sell for a predetermined price and that piece of art would then reside in the collection of someone who already owns a number of A1 pieces (and has an interest in the auction house site, itself).

So if I'm reading that correctly (and I'd like to think that I am). Metro or Stephen specifically guaranteed that he would buy one of the pieces in the auction for price X, if it did not sell for that price or more in order to attain the right to auction off both pieces through their website.

Sounds plausible. The idea of 'guaranteeing an investment' is not a new one.

everything has an upper price.. Tec #69 cover IMo should have been allowed to sell. It is a nice cover - yes.. But 200k is nothing to sneeze at and it is neither historic enough or #1-ish enough to justify not letting the piece sell at 200k [/quote

I agree, $200k is an amazing price. It is definitely a cool cover that I would love to own but $200k is A LOT OF MONEY.

Superman 14 is more iconic but unlike the Tec 69 not a piece of art actually done by Jerry. I could have seen him be more willing to let that one go. Plus it was able to clear 300K. That's pretty damn big for a piece of pen and ink super hero art.

everything has an upper price.. Tec #69 cover IMo should have been allowed to sell. It is a nice cover - yes.. But 200k is nothing to sneeze at and it is neither historic enough or #1-ish enough to justify not letting the piece sell at 200k [/quote

I agree, $200k is an amazing price. It is definitely a cool cover that I would love to own but $200k is A LOT OF MONEY.

$200K is a lot of money. $329K (the current bid for the Superman cover) is a lot of money. However, since the reserves were not met, those numbers are irrelevant when it comes to FMV for these covers. They literally mean nothing.

Regarding the earlier speculation about guarantees (a common practice for auction houses to secure consignments), that obviously didn't happen with the Robinson covers. Given what we know (and what Metropolis publicly stated about the reserves), I didn't expect there to be one. The X-MEN #2 splash, though, is noteworthy for those of us who have been following how it's been marketed the last two years (as well as paying attention to the business relationships depicted on HOLLYWOOD TREASURE). Looking forward to seeing where that one ends up.